Costes by Hotel Costes

Filtered by skin type : Normal
No Image

3.8

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

I LOVE this scent and I am not attracted to woodsy scents at all. I received this in a gift bag from a friend and I have no idea where to purchase it and I don't know how much it costs. At first application it has a heavy cinnamon and spice scent to it. I read a review where someone described it as a chai latte scent. It dries down to what I can only describe as something that reminds me of the woods and ocean. An "aqua woodsy" scent perhaps?I'm not good at describing scents but this is definitely different and definitely unisex--perhaps more on the masculine side and I love that. This is definitely a fall/winter scent and would be overbearing in the summer.

on 5/13/2008 12:45:00 PM

I've been wearing Costes by Hôtel Costes for about week now--I can't seem to get enough of it. It reminds me of 10CC (which I also love), but the bay and lavender rounds it out. I spritz this stuff pretty heavily and it lasts all day without ever becoming overbearing.

It's unique, comforting, and very wearable.

Edit: I am in love with everything Costes.

on 3/4/2008 9:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

This would make a nice home fragrance...it's a quiet mix of potpourri and incense. It has a brisk sportiness at first spritz and then it mellows down to a creamy cedar. I don't mind smelling this in the air...I wouldn't wear it as a perfume - too masculine overall.

I'm so very happy to have a good-sized decant of this via swap - it's a very clean, soapy, spicy sandalwood and I find it pleasantly bracing - a good scent for focusing on something (I'm easily given to daydreaming - the laurel, lavender, and pepper make this scent a promising study buddy, though I'm finding that it sweetens considerably on my skin after a little while, and the sweetness at first contrasts unpleasantly with the intense pine note, and then goes quite incensy. I think comparisons of this to 10 Corso Como are apt - as I mentioned in my review of that one, 10 Corso Como tried to kill me by completely shutting down my respiratory system. Hear that, writers of CSI? Let's have a dead-perfumista episode! Anyway, Costes is much less violent on me. Still far too intense to put on before bed or for romantic wear, but quite nice in its own way.

on 11/7/2007 10:25:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

The spicy/cinnamon-y/clove-y opening is my least favorite part of this scent, and luckily for me it only lasts 15 minutes or so. As the spice fades, I am left with just the perfect combination of incense, sandalwood, and musk. I prefer this to Tam Dao, which is too dry and too straight sandalwood (not to mention how fleeting it is) for me. I get decent skin scent lasting power with Costes. I like both this and 10 Corso Como, which I find similar. Inspired by laphenix's comment, I'd agree Costes is the sister to 10 Corso Como, but I'd describe Costes as friendlier and more approachable rather than quieter. (10 Corso Como's musk is much more aggressive on my skin.) And I don't find this scent too masculine at all, but perfectly unisex. Notes include: laurel, lavender, coriander seeds, white pepper, rose, incense, wood, musk.

on 10/18/2007 2:10:00 PM

I have this and do like it but it does seem to be more of a mans smell especially since my husbands arm and hammer deoderent smells almost exactly the same I keep thinking he put my costes on but he didn't.

on 8/15/2006 2:10:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Don't care for it. Smells like being at camp wearing Off. Piney and bug-spray.

on 7/19/2006 12:58:00 PM

Ordered a sample of this from Aedes. Really loved the soapy note, but was unsure if it was FBW. Went to NYC this past week and made a stop at Aedes to sniff some scents. DH loved Costes and wanted a bottle for himself. We ordered the spray for him, but I think I will be sneaking into it also. I just love the soapy note in this. It is such a wonderful scent. Love the red bottle too. Just an all around beautiful scent for a man or a woman.

on 5/1/2006 12:45:00 AM

I am wearing a sample of Costes right now (and I am IN LOVE with wood scents).. I am still reeling from my purchase of Silver Rain by the fabulous La Prairie (hated it--too sweet for me) but this I must have!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

I really enjoyed this fragrance (thanks Razzy!) It's the first scent I have tried that has a truly beautiful lavender top note that doesn't smell like air freshener. Costes is a lovely blend of lavender, woods and soapy spices on me, with a touch of rose mixed in. (There is some incense, but it is very light.) It's a lovely mellow, spicy scent to wear in the autumn. I can't give it full marks though, because it only lasted 3 hours on me. Still, definitely worth looking for a decant!

Popular Fragrances