Costes by Hotel Costes

Filtered by skin type : Other
No Image

3.3

I just LOVE this! I got a large decant from a friend and am ashamed to say I stuck it in my sample box for a few months. The dog knocked the box off the shelf yesterday morning and the bottle rolled out. I was in a hurry so I picked it up and spritzed it about a dozen times. By the time I got to the car I was in incense heaven. Clean, soft lady like incense at that. Lasting power was about 4 hours. When I got home needless to say this went on the shelf with the other regulars and got worn to bed last night. Could still smell it on my pillow and night shirt when I got up. Dreamy sandalwood and soap and spices. Mmmm.

on 9/10/2007 8:24:00 PM

Costes is 10 Corso Como's quieter younger sister. It's definetely not as in-your-face as 10CC, but the overall feeling is similar. Incensey woods and rose with the additional soapiness of lavendar. This is a nice one for summer-to-fall.

on 6/11/2005 9:31:00 AM

Costes sample came to me through a miraculous turn of events involving Luckyscent. For weeks preceding its arrival, I had this scent in my nose... I went through all my perfumes trying to figure out what it was because I was in dire need of wearing it. Well it didn't exist in my collection, that's for sure. Til now! Costes came to me and that was it! It would be nice year-round, it's a light, incensy woody perfume, dry, a little sweet and spicy in the beginning, almost clovey.

Costes
is a highly woody fragrance with a smoky incense accord. It has some
lovely spice notes, including strong coriander and white pepper which
along with a very pleasant rose note makes up that soapy accord some
here of the reviews are mentioning. I am one that likes this soapy
accord, which separates Costes from the rest of the incense fragrance
pack. I also find that it balances Costes out nicely. Costes is so
much better than Diptyque’s L’Eau and shares very little
similarity with it besides rose and spices. And Costes is much less
cloying and harsh than L’Eau. The musk note in the dry down is
also very noticeable and pleasant. It does reminds me a little of a
much more wearable version of Diptyque’s Essence of John
Galliano. Another mentioned its similarity to Comme des Garcons
Jaisalmer, but I find that it’s different enough to warrant
owning both. The only problems I can find with Costes is that it
doesn’t have the projection that I usually prefer in an
incense-based fragrance, and it could last a little longer, but its
lasting power is still pretty good. I like it.

Notes:
coriander seed, white pepper, laurel, oriental woods, incense, musk,
rose, sandalwood

continued >>

on 9/23/2005 1:47:00 PM

Got the chance to sample this today; love the scent, hate the lasting-power, thus a *** lippies only. For that reason only, I won't be buying it.

on 8/3/2005 9:59:00 PM

I really enjoy the Hotel Costes cd series and was hoping this would be up to it's standards. I like Costes, but it strikes me as being a fragrance containing all the olfactory equivalents of qualities a DJ might hope for in people coming to his venue for the night. Firstly, he might like them to be somewhat mysterious and/or interesting, so the incense and spices would fill that requirement. Hopefully, they'd also be bathed and clean, hence the soapy accord with the rose and floral notes. Finally, it wouldn't hurt if they were sexy, which would be where the musk and sandalwood come in. However, what makes a great DJ like Stephane Pompougnac of Hotel Costes, a great chef or a great perfumer is a genius instinct for taking elements used by everyone else and somehow knowing how to add something unexpected or tweak them in such a way that the result is not just good, but original, masterful. Costes' perfumer doesn't have the instincts of Pompougnac. It has all the right ingredients, but it doesn't have that something extra which would elevate it to greatness. However, it's still a perfectly nice fragrance and particularly good for clubbing since it is subtle enough that you'd never end up asphyxiating all in your vicinity.

on 2/15/2005 7:25:00 PM

Costes reminds me of L'Artisan Safran Troublant, except the drydown becomes soapy, and the lasting power isn't the best. Safran Troublant is a warm spicy scent whereas Costes is a cold spicy scent. If you're a lover of spicy scents, you should definitely give this a try. I probably wouldn't own a bottle but will always have a decant handy.

on 11/27/2004 5:58:00 PM

Beautifully spicy but soft, soft, soft, Costes smells like potpourri in need of refresher oil. There's something appealingly distant and haunting about it, like a memory or an echo. I get lots of coriander and an accord resembling cinnamon but without cinnamon's bite. The only thing I don't particularly like about this scent is a soapy accord that emerges about half an hour into the drydown.

I was surprised at how much I did not care for Costes. I admire and own decants of Diptyque's Tam Dao and 10 Corso Como, the two fragrances with which Costes is most typically compared and thought Costes would be a slam dunk. However, I don't find many similarities. Ts to my nose, Costes smells like a big bundle of cinnamon bark, with a bit of cheapish sandalwood/musk thrown into the middle notes. I had to wash it off before the base notes appeared as I was about to gag. Sorry 'bout that! (bad reviewer, bad reviewer!)

I have heard that Hotel Costes liberally scents their entire hotel with their Costes perfume and if that is the case, I think I'll be staying somewhere else next time my travel plans call for Paris.

Here are the notes, per The Perfumed Court: lavender, bay-tree, coriander, white pepper, rose, incense, woods and light musk.

Popular Fragrances