Costes by Hotel Costes

No Image

3.5

on 3/16/2009 3:10:00 AM

Spicy, unsweet, room fragrance. More masculine than feminine. Good lasting power, no sillage. Not for me; reminds me of a room freshener, not a perfume to wear.

I was surprised at how much I did not care for Costes. I admire and own decants of Diptyque's Tam Dao and 10 Corso Como, the two fragrances with which Costes is most typically compared and thought Costes would be a slam dunk. However, I don't find many similarities. Ts to my nose, Costes smells like a big bundle of cinnamon bark, with a bit of cheapish sandalwood/musk thrown into the middle notes. I had to wash it off before the base notes appeared as I was about to gag. Sorry 'bout that! (bad reviewer, bad reviewer!)

I have heard that Hotel Costes liberally scents their entire hotel with their Costes perfume and if that is the case, I think I'll be staying somewhere else next time my travel plans call for Paris.

Here are the notes, per The Perfumed Court: lavender, bay-tree, coriander, white pepper, rose, incense, woods and light musk.

on 6/23/2007 4:46:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Knife-edged spicy--coriander strikes again. If the hotel I was staying at smelled like this, I'd feel an undercurrent of anxiety until I checked out.

on 8/15/2006 2:10:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Don't care for it. Smells like being at camp wearing Off. Piney and bug-spray.

on 3/3/2006 3:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Unfortunately the woods in Costes dominated on me. The home fragrance
products might be a better use than as a personal scent.

on 1/28/2006 4:04:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Yuck! Yuck! Yuck! In my quest to find the best smelling perfumes no matter the cost, I really failed at this one. It just stinks. Smells like cinammon, but not as good. And the headache it gave me makes me cringe at the $125 bottle every time I look at it.

on 8/22/2012 12:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This was suggested to me because I love Tam Dao. I don't get the similarity at all, other than they are both linear and not sweet. Tam Dao is a freight train of cedar and sandalwood, and Costes smells like those cinnamon-scented pinecones that turn up in craft stores in September. Sorta/barely woody with a lot of cinnamon. Not a surprise that this was originally an environmental scent, and it would make a great home scent from Halloween until New Year's. Not offensive in any way, but it's the sort of fragrance people will attribute to your breath lozenge instead of you.

on 3/4/2008 9:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

This would make a nice home fragrance...it's a quiet mix of potpourri and incense. It has a brisk sportiness at first spritz and then it mellows down to a creamy cedar. I don't mind smelling this in the air...I wouldn't wear it as a perfume - too masculine overall.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I really wanted to like Costes, but alas, it did not work for me. Too masculine and even a hint of nail polish remover on me. It is a quality made fragrance, regardless of how the notes disagree with my chemistry. Therefore, I am giving it 2 lippies instead of 1 in recognition of the quality.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

It is very woody and does not let up on drying down being less heady. Costes notes: lavender, bay-tree, coriander, white pepper, rose, incense, woods and light musk. It smells just like upscale hotel shower gel you get as a sample. Why did they make this a scent? I think the candle might be nicer for a room fragrance. Too dark and doesn't let the light in.

Popular Fragrances