Costes by Hotel Costes

No Image

3.5

I'm so very happy to have a good-sized decant of this via swap - it's a very clean, soapy, spicy sandalwood and I find it pleasantly bracing - a good scent for focusing on something (I'm easily given to daydreaming - the laurel, lavender, and pepper make this scent a promising study buddy, though I'm finding that it sweetens considerably on my skin after a little while, and the sweetness at first contrasts unpleasantly with the intense pine note, and then goes quite incensy. I think comparisons of this to 10 Corso Como are apt - as I mentioned in my review of that one, 10 Corso Como tried to kill me by completely shutting down my respiratory system. Hear that, writers of CSI? Let's have a dead-perfumista episode! Anyway, Costes is much less violent on me. Still far too intense to put on before bed or for romantic wear, but quite nice in its own way.

on 11/7/2007 10:25:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

The spicy/cinnamon-y/clove-y opening is my least favorite part of this scent, and luckily for me it only lasts 15 minutes or so. As the spice fades, I am left with just the perfect combination of incense, sandalwood, and musk. I prefer this to Tam Dao, which is too dry and too straight sandalwood (not to mention how fleeting it is) for me. I get decent skin scent lasting power with Costes. I like both this and 10 Corso Como, which I find similar. Inspired by laphenix's comment, I'd agree Costes is the sister to 10 Corso Como, but I'd describe Costes as friendlier and more approachable rather than quieter. (10 Corso Como's musk is much more aggressive on my skin.) And I don't find this scent too masculine at all, but perfectly unisex. Notes include: laurel, lavender, coriander seeds, white pepper, rose, incense, wood, musk.

on 8/22/2012 12:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This was suggested to me because I love Tam Dao. I don't get the similarity at all, other than they are both linear and not sweet. Tam Dao is a freight train of cedar and sandalwood, and Costes smells like those cinnamon-scented pinecones that turn up in craft stores in September. Sorta/barely woody with a lot of cinnamon. Not a surprise that this was originally an environmental scent, and it would make a great home scent from Halloween until New Year's. Not offensive in any way, but it's the sort of fragrance people will attribute to your breath lozenge instead of you.

on 9/10/2007 8:24:00 PM

Costes is 10 Corso Como's quieter younger sister. It's definetely not as in-your-face as 10CC, but the overall feeling is similar. Incensey woods and rose with the additional soapiness of lavendar. This is a nice one for summer-to-fall.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Love Costes! Olivia Giacobetti is a master perfumer! . All of Ms. Giacobetti's fragrances are light, well balanced, almost ethereal; her fragrances can float on gossamer wings or echo subtle nuances of space and time. Costes is no exception. It has everything going for it.. spicey, clean, herbal -- woodsy and just a great unisex fragrance. I can't imagine anyone hating this! It's a cameleon of a scent that could role play any situation albeit.. sexy, clean -- highly chic ... casually elegant. On a man this would be HOT but on the most petite feminine woman a knock out of a fragrance. Basically, as long as it works with your chemistry, Costes can go anywhere you go and be anything you need. It's seasonless- timeless, elegance, sure to become a classic. I would love a full bottle.

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

My skin does not usually get along with pepper (particularly pepper combined with rose) so I always passed by this perfume when selecting samples. Based upon the positive comments by reviewers who seem to have similar skin chemistry/taste as me however, I decided to go for it. And I am *so* glad that I did – because his smells almost EXACTLY like Vinci-Rakos Earth / Tipton Charles Sandalwood on my skin! Tipton Charles was the tiniest bit too sweet and creamy at times, and while I liked the gentleness of Earth, I dislike applying perfume oils. I have been searching high and low for an EDT version…and it is Costes! Costes is a little bit more complex than either of the two, but is still so clean, warm, fresh, soft, gentle, and just a bit woodsy and floral. The incense notes do not come out on me at all, which I am very happy about. I would absolutely buy this again – in fact, I want the matching shower gel, lotion, and candle too!

Costes
is a highly woody fragrance with a smoky incense accord. It has some
lovely spice notes, including strong coriander and white pepper which
along with a very pleasant rose note makes up that soapy accord some
here of the reviews are mentioning. I am one that likes this soapy
accord, which separates Costes from the rest of the incense fragrance
pack. I also find that it balances Costes out nicely. Costes is so
much better than Diptyque’s L’Eau and shares very little
similarity with it besides rose and spices. And Costes is much less
cloying and harsh than L’Eau. The musk note in the dry down is
also very noticeable and pleasant. It does reminds me a little of a
much more wearable version of Diptyque’s Essence of John
Galliano. Another mentioned its similarity to Comme des Garcons
Jaisalmer, but I find that it’s different enough to warrant
owning both. The only problems I can find with Costes is that it
doesn’t have the projection that I usually prefer in an
incense-based fragrance, and it could last a little longer, but its
lasting power is still pretty good. I like it.

Notes:
coriander seed, white pepper, laurel, oriental woods, incense, musk,
rose, sandalwood

continued >>

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

I LOVE this scent and I am not attracted to woodsy scents at all. I received this in a gift bag from a friend and I have no idea where to purchase it and I don't know how much it costs. At first application it has a heavy cinnamon and spice scent to it. I read a review where someone described it as a chai latte scent. It dries down to what I can only describe as something that reminds me of the woods and ocean. An "aqua woodsy" scent perhaps?I'm not good at describing scents but this is definitely different and definitely unisex--perhaps more on the masculine side and I love that. This is definitely a fall/winter scent and would be overbearing in the summer.

on 10/25/2009 9:59:00 PM

I love this scent, but I already own it in a 10 Corso Como bottle.

on 4/20/2009 7:24:00 PM

2012 : I love this scent now - I didn't like it in 2009 . Spicey , aromatic yet cleanish and soapy ,ambient and quite soothing. Lasting power is mediocre but the scent is uber chic .

Popular Fragrances