Costes by Hotel Costes

No Image

3.5

A so-so sandalwood, not the best. There is a hint of something that smells almost like licorice or fennel, but without fennel's crispness and brightness, so I presume it's anise. Perhaps a bit of amber. Not obnoxious, fairly subtle, didn't really change during the day. Only lasted about 4 hours. Look elsewhere. Not worth the hype.

on 1/12/2004 9:22:00 PM

Honestly not impressed with this one. Nothing fancy, subtle, and a definite try before you buy. May be better as a parfum de maison (room spray).

First Review: I think this is a fragrance for those who like baby powder scents.
Second Review: On second testing of this scent, a very fresh sample from Aedes, I like it. There is a touch of Ivory soap in the drydown, about 1/2 hr. in, like others have said, but overall, I find this a very sexy, complex spice and think it would be absolutely lovely for the winter holidays!

on 11/27/2004 5:58:00 PM

Beautifully spicy but soft, soft, soft, Costes smells like potpourri in need of refresher oil. There's something appealingly distant and haunting about it, like a memory or an echo. I get lots of coriander and an accord resembling cinnamon but without cinnamon's bite. The only thing I don't particularly like about this scent is a soapy accord that emerges about half an hour into the drydown.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Costes seems to smell differently on everyone from sandalwood to soap. For me, it's a very clean incensey fragrance...almost fresh. I'm sure it will be the summer's answer to my winter incense addiction. I didn't care for this one at first, but it somehow grew on me. And is still growing.
Edited to add another star. This is definitely a 4 star scent. I wore this in the dead of winter and the hottest, most humid day of the day...it is *just right* every time.
Notes: coriander seeds, white pepper, laurel, oriental woods, incense, musk, and hints of rose.

on 2/15/2005 7:25:00 PM

Costes reminds me of L'Artisan Safran Troublant, except the drydown becomes soapy, and the lasting power isn't the best. Safran Troublant is a warm spicy scent whereas Costes is a cold spicy scent. If you're a lover of spicy scents, you should definitely give this a try. I probably wouldn't own a bottle but will always have a decant handy.

Got this as an extra from the generous midnightc. It starts out pleasantly with a delicious burst of incense, spice, and sandalwood, reminding me a bit of the CdG incense series (particularly Jaisalmer). Oh, but then that dreadful soapy note makes an appearance and ruins the whole thing. *sigh* Perhaps an option for those who would like a very soft, clean, unobtrusive version of incense/sandalwood/spice. Alas, it's too wimpy for me. And the lasting power is truly wretched...*poof* gone after 2 hours.

on 2/26/2005 10:44:00 AM

I tested Costes ages ago, and never thought it was particularly special. It opens with a strong iris-soap like accord, which besides being simply antithetical to this gourmand girl, was also rather generic to my nose, as I was sure I had experienced it in some other scent, only done slightly better. Of course, I simply washed it off then without really waiting past 15 minutes for the dry down. I recieved a large decant from a dear friend of mine a few months later however, and as how she was raving about how much she loved it, I thought I would give it another go. And I'm so glad I did -- give this half an hour or so to dry down, and it turns into something quite lovely and unique. The iris accord fades away, and while the soapy aspect is still there, it is joined by a melange of gentle spices and cozy sandalwood, creating a lovely, soft, intriguing, enrapturing and mysterious aura. I usually don't like scents that have even a trace of soap in them, but this is very, very gorgeous. continued >>

I just LOVE this! I got a large decant from a friend and am ashamed to say I stuck it in my sample box for a few months. The dog knocked the box off the shelf yesterday morning and the bottle rolled out. I was in a hurry so I picked it up and spritzed it about a dozen times. By the time I got to the car I was in incense heaven. Clean, soft lady like incense at that. Lasting power was about 4 hours. When I got home needless to say this went on the shelf with the other regulars and got worn to bed last night. Could still smell it on my pillow and night shirt when I got up. Dreamy sandalwood and soap and spices. Mmmm.

Costes
is a highly woody fragrance with a smoky incense accord. It has some
lovely spice notes, including strong coriander and white pepper which
along with a very pleasant rose note makes up that soapy accord some
here of the reviews are mentioning. I am one that likes this soapy
accord, which separates Costes from the rest of the incense fragrance
pack. I also find that it balances Costes out nicely. Costes is so
much better than Diptyque’s L’Eau and shares very little
similarity with it besides rose and spices. And Costes is much less
cloying and harsh than L’Eau. The musk note in the dry down is
also very noticeable and pleasant. It does reminds me a little of a
much more wearable version of Diptyque’s Essence of John
Galliano. Another mentioned its similarity to Comme des Garcons
Jaisalmer, but I find that it’s different enough to warrant
owning both. The only problems I can find with Costes is that it
doesn’t have the projection that I usually prefer in an
incense-based fragrance, and it could last a little longer, but its
lasting power is still pretty good. I like it.

Notes:
coriander seed, white pepper, laurel, oriental woods, incense, musk,
rose, sandalwood