Costes by Hotel Costes

4.3

on 3/3/2007 6:27:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

I usually do not like greens or things that are too spicy (*cough* Idole *cough*), but this goes very well with my chemistry. Lucky Scent sent this to me as a free sample, and I was not looking forward to smelling like a bowl of potpourri in the middle of a forest, but it was not so. I am discovering that a lot of men's fragrances smell very good on me, so that may be why (my next purchase will probably be YSL's L'Homme).

This is scent is fresh, evergreen, a bit minty and a bit peppery on me. It's very nice, but it is not my thing. continued >>

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

My skin does not usually get along with pepper (particularly pepper combined with rose) so I always passed by this perfume when selecting samples. Based upon the positive comments by reviewers who seem to have similar skin chemistry/taste as me however, I decided to go for it. And I am *so* glad that I did – because his smells almost EXACTLY like Vinci-Rakos Earth / Tipton Charles Sandalwood on my skin! Tipton Charles was the tiniest bit too sweet and creamy at times, and while I liked the gentleness of Earth, I dislike applying perfume oils. I have been searching high and low for an EDT version…and it is Costes! Costes is a little bit more complex than either of the two, but is still so clean, warm, fresh, soft, gentle, and just a bit woodsy and floral. The incense notes do not come out on me at all, which I am very happy about. I would absolutely buy this again – in fact, I want the matching shower gel, lotion, and candle too!

on 6/11/2005 9:31:00 AM

Costes sample came to me through a miraculous turn of events involving Luckyscent. For weeks preceding its arrival, I had this scent in my nose... I went through all my perfumes trying to figure out what it was because I was in dire need of wearing it. Well it didn't exist in my collection, that's for sure. Til now! Costes came to me and that was it! It would be nice year-round, it's a light, incensy woody perfume, dry, a little sweet and spicy in the beginning, almost clovey.

on 2/26/2005 10:44:00 AM

I tested Costes ages ago, and never thought it was particularly special. It opens with a strong iris-soap like accord, which besides being simply antithetical to this gourmand girl, was also rather generic to my nose, as I was sure I had experienced it in some other scent, only done slightly better. Of course, I simply washed it off then without really waiting past 15 minutes for the dry down. I recieved a large decant from a dear friend of mine a few months later however, and as how she was raving about how much she loved it, I thought I would give it another go. And I'm so glad I did -- give this half an hour or so to dry down, and it turns into something quite lovely and unique. The iris accord fades away, and while the soapy aspect is still there, it is joined by a melange of gentle spices and cozy sandalwood, creating a lovely, soft, intriguing, enrapturing and mysterious aura. I usually don't like scents that have even a trace of soap in them, but this is very, very gorgeous. continued >>

Popular Fragrances