La Prairie Skin Caviar Concealer Foundation SPF15

La Prairie Skin Caviar Concealer Foundation  SPF15
LP Skin Caviar Concealer Foundation SPF 15

4.1

Ingredients: Foundation:Concealer: Petrolatum, isopropyl palmitate, isostearyl behenate, silica, microcristalline wax, dimethicone, nylon-12, ozokerite, glyceryl dibehenate, polymethyl methacrylate, mica, caviar extract, glycoproteins*, panax ginseng root extract*, horsetail extract*, algae extract, lactobacillus ferment, licorice root extract, lavender extract, camellia sinensis leaf extract, chamomile flower extract, hydrolized malt extract, hydrolyzed wheat protein, tocopheryl acetate, retinyl palmitate, ascorbyl palmitate, soybean oil, butylene glycol, glycerin, tribehenin, triethanolamine, water, glycine, arginine, glyceryl behenate, lauryl methacrylate/glycol dimethacrylate crosspolymer, isopropyl myristate, isopropyl titanium triisostearate, methionine, polyglucuronic acid, methylparaben, propylparaben. May contain: titanium dioxide, iron oxides. *La Prairie's exclusive Cellular Complex

This review is extremely wordy, but I think a product this expensive deserves a lot of detail.

I am a foundation fiend and have tried more than I can count. I have been using Skin Caviar foundation for a little over a year. This does not even deserve to be in the same category as any other. It's like comparing a grass hut to a state of the art mansion. You can certainly live in both, the mansion isn't necessary. However, given the choice, you would probably go for the mansion. And, once you've lived there, you don't ever want to go back to that grass hut again. And, although they both have a roof, they really aren't the same at all.

So a little about me. I have pretty good skin. It is normal to dry and can be flaky and a bit dull in the winter. I do get the occasional blemish and have a couple broken capillaries around my nose. I take great care of my skin in general and have stayed out of the sun for the most part. However, I still have some freckles from the sun. I also have a few fine lines beginning to show over my (very expressive) eyebrows. I want a foundation to make me look like I have that perfectly diffused skin you see on tv shows and in movies. You know, the kind of skin that usually is achieved, at least partially, by amazing lighting. I also need it to last, be comfortable, and not catch on dry or flaky areas. I want it to look like I just have gorgeous skin, not like I have amazing makeup. I can't have anything matte but also want nothing overtly dewy. This product does all of the above and, honestly, it does even more. It's incredible and I will gladly skip a few nights out a year to be able to pay for it. One jar does last me about a year, which is nice. Not only is it amazing makeup, but it is amazing skincare.

Shade: I wear the shade Warm Linen. For reference, I am 4.5 in GA Luminous Silk. Warm Linen is the best match I have ever experienced. My face has pink undertones, but I'm neutral everywhere else. I need a foundation to neutralize that redness.

Finish: You know that impossibly elusive, only created by amazing lighting finish I referred to earlier? Well, this does it too. My skin looks incredible! It's perfectly diffused and hydrated. I look like I drink a ton of water, eat no sugar or processed food, frequent the sauna, and sleep 9 hours every night. I have been stopped a couple of times by strangers and asked what skincare I use. Not what makeup. That's pretty special in my opinion. Just gorgeous, young, plump, hydrated, glow from the inside skin. Friends and family members also remark on how great my skin is when I wear this.

Lasting Power: Additionally, it never breaks down. I'm serious, this is just as beautiful 15 hours later. Most, if not all, other foundations will eventually look worse on my skin than just bare skin. This never does. It must be the skincare in it. My skin continues to look beautiful and healthy. It doesn't get patchy, doesn't pool into pores, doesn't break apart, doesn't get oily, doesn't enhance dry areas. Again, it really is first and foremost skincare. In fact, when I wash this off at the end of the day my skin actually feels softer and looks so good. This lasts without primer or setting powder, but it also looks great with either. My blush/bronzer/highlight last ALL day too. Amazing. Also worth noting - this does not ever settle into my fine lines or any expression lines. In fact, even when I smile, I have noticed it still keeps my skin looking smooth. I don't get all those crinkles around my eyes that I do with other foundations. This is just pure plumped goodness.

Fragrance: there is a slight fragrance, but it isn't offensive and doesn't last. I am sensitive to fragrance and this doesn't affect me. I honestly enjoy it. Perhaps it's the placebo effect, but it just smells luxurious.

Coverage: Medium out of the gate, can be built to full or sheered for lighter coverage. I've applied this with fingers, beautyblender, and brush and it goes on well no matter what. My favorite application method is with a brush and then to press a beautyblender into my skin afterward. I've read reviews that say this can look heavy. I could see how. You really don't need to use much at all. I would recommend using just a bit, moving on to your eyes, and if you still feel the need for more after your eyes are done then add just a bit more. This will last you forever because it doesn't take much.

Finally, the concealer is an added perk. I already have an undereye concealer that I love (By Terry Terrybly Densillis - amazing), but this is good under the eyes. I do prefer it on discoloration and blemishes. It is full coverage and lasts all day. Also, in my experience, the concealer truly is perfectly matched with the foundation. I use the brush it comes with to dab some concealer onto spots and then pat in with my finger. Voila, perfection.

Overall, you just can't go wrong. I never feel it on my face and i never get that "I can't wait to wash this off" feeling. Beware of trying it - you probably won't be able to give it up. I honestly feel like I still haven't been able to convey how much I love this, but I've tried.

on 9/18/2016 7:19:00 AM

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine

Basee upon mny reviews on blogs, you tube, amd one woman at church who uses this foundation , i went to Nordstroms and bought this a two weeks ago. I have very light skin with some hyper pigmentation I am in the process of reducing. I chose thie shade Tender Ivory with the help of the sales associate, who was very good.

I applied this foundation on top of my normal routine of serum, moisturizer and sunscreen, it lasted all day. I used a small spatula to just scrape up a half a pea size scoop of the make up, dot it on my face with ver light pats, then use my Artis oval 8 brush to float the make smooth, and it settled beautifully. I did the same with the concealor, usimg the other end of the tiny spatula to get as small ampunt as possible to my ring fingets to gently tap on concealer in a very few areas still needing it.

I ama amazed at how this make up stays on all day, and how smooth my skin feels after I take it off. I anticipate the product lasting at least a year,

To Read all 242 Reviews, Login or Join

on 9/17/2016 8:20:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I'm so disappointed with this foundation. I ordered on line and got a pretty good color match albeit a tad light. The packaging is pretty awful with a deep jar and a wand to pull out the foundation. Every time I pull some out with the wand, I get way too much and have to wipe it back in on the edge of the jar. All cream foundations should be in a squeeze tube not in jars - just a poor design all the way around.

Now for the foundation - it is pretty full coverage and you need way less to get complete coverage. Actually, it you use what you normally would with any other foundation, you will end up with a cakey mess. Remember - go less. I put this on over my regular primer the first time and it was full coverage, matte and pretty flat. Flawless finish but absolutely no glow, no satin - just plain flat. Then I tried it by mixing with some primer oil and that was a tad less flat looking. If you like a totally matte full coverage look, this may be for you. I could have been satisfied with it if it weren't for the accentuation of dry skin. This didn't help my dry skin at all.

I have tried so many different foundations from Lancôme, to Guerlain, to It Cosmetics, to Urban Decay to Tarte, to Makeup Forever, Clinique, Chanel, Korean BB creams, Dior, Giorgio Armani, La Prairie to Estée Lauder. And I'm sure there are more that I've forgotten. I've tried from best sellers to those for mature skin like mine and those supposedly dewy foundations with moisturizing qualities. At the end of the day I keep coming back to my tried and true Estée Lauder Double Wear Light and Re Nutriv cream foundation. These two are the only ones that dry down to beautiful coverages and don't suck the moisture from my skin. They actually seem to keep moisture in while also being Longwearing.

I am totally done with trying other foundations and will be staying with my Re Nutriv. This La Prairie was an expensive try. Hopefully I can give it to someone that it will work for - then it won't be such an expensive waste of money.

on 9/6/2016 11:23:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

** Full disclosure: I only wore this once, but it was enough to find out that it is incompatible with my skin regimen.

I am 40 years old. I was extremely oily and acne-prone all my adult life. My skin is much more balanced now, but I still have scars and get 1 to 3 pimples every month. I use Tazorac and Epiduo to treat my acne with good results. For those who are unfamiliar with these medications, they are topical retinoids that exfoliate the skin by speeding cell turnover. This means that the top layer of my skin is constantly shedding. My skin looks good and hydrated most the time, but I have to be careful with the foundations I wear, because some of them cling to the skin that is being exfoliated and the result is a mess. This is exactly what happened with this foundation. I looked like I had an uneven layer of concrete on my face, similar to a sidewalk. While it did not dry me out, it clung to and magnified every dry patch and large pore, which were previously invisible. And for some reason, it would not stick to the sides of my nose (?). It looked cakey and uneven. In addition, the concealer that comes with it is so thick it is unwearable. I wished it had worked for me, because the shade Honey Beige is a fantastic match for my skin tone. Please keep this in mind if you are a retinoid user and try to sample it before you buy.

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

To answer Everyones questions....

My first impressions: it retails for $280 includes a foundation and concealer(not that it justifies the price)

Shade: comes in a generous shade for a brand who does skincare.

Coverage: medium buildable. I can tap it in with fingers on the imperfections and it will cover very well.

Finish: natural satin, not very dewy but not matte. After wearing it for a whole day it looks and feels more dewy.

Application: I use fingers to give a more fuller coverage but applying with brush will lighten the coverage.

Texture: thick. You need a little little bit, more than what you normally do with other foundation. It spreads a lot and a pea size (1 pump for other foundations) will be too much for my face. It feels very comfortable and not drying on the skin.

Longevity: long lasting and hydrating

Packaging: comes in a twist open cap and a spatula attached. Concealer comes on top of foundation with a 2x mirror on the lid.

Scent: slightly not over powering fragrance.

Removing the foundation: when I remove it, my skin still feels and looks hydrated and not dried out even when I wore it all day with powder.

CONCEALER: the concealer is a thick cream with almost a wax base that gives a good coverage but slightly drying. The foundation and concealer shades don't match exactly.

Overall review: Everyones burning question... Is it worth the price? No.

It's a great foundation so it's not a disappointment when you purchase it but if you were on a budget then I wouldn't recommend you to splurge all that money for the foundation and concealer. It is luxury and it does look amazing and extremely natural but definitely splurge if you won't mind the price and is looking for a very natural hydrating foundation. I get lots of compliments asking if I'm wearing foundation or my skin looks really good. Good foundation, can't go wrong but with a hefty price tag... Can't complain much about the price because it is from a luxury brand but it's not a bad foundation but not extremely magical where you will look like Beyoncé

This is an extremely luxurious foundation and concealer! Trust me, this will last at least the better part of a year, it is so concentrated!

I have worn several shades, but I think 'Honey Beige' is the best fit for my NC23-25 skin in the
Spring-Summer seasons.

It does retail approx. $200 for a bottle, but you get a heavy duty concealer and brush, as well as the 1oz of foundation.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I am so sad that my country does not have a return policy for items like this, because THIS was an expensive mistake in my case. A little bit about myself. I´m in my early thirties and have very dry sensitive skin. In a foundation I am looking for something that can even out my complexion and look fairly natural. I need to use heavy moisturisers and prefer a damp beauty blender when I apply my makeup.

The La Prairie Skin Caviar Concealer Foundation is considered a luxury item and apparently it contains an exclusive caviar extract that helps skin. I am not so sure these "fish eggs" from the Caspian sea is doing anything for me to be honest, and I have definitely tried foundations that do way more and cost a lot less. Clinique Even Better Makeup for instance, which on me gives a way more beautiful finish and longevity for a fraction of the cost.

The good thing is that this does not dry my skin out. It offers quite good coverage and gives a subtle ´glow from within´type of finish. The problem is, the youtubers that praise this item looks so polished without any makeup on it is quite hard to tell how it looks on those of us who aren´t that fortunate.

It applies a bit thick, and even though it is creamy in texture, it is quite dense and unforgiving on dry spots and wrinkles. This is one of those foundations that look better after a while - on me at least - then when I apply it. Maybe it needs some time to melt into the skin.

But for the price, this is not worth it in my opinion. So if you are curious, PLEASE get a sample first and really contemplate if you would rather spend your hard earned money on several amazing makeup items, or just one average over prized one like this.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I think based on the price of this foundation, the expectations are obviously very high. I have worn this foundation several times so I am writing this review based on my experience each time I wore it.. It's quite lengthy as it is an expensive product so though I would be a bit more thorough.
For reference I wear NC20 or NARS Alaska in the TM and my skin type is normal/dehydrated. I prefer light-medium coverage and usually wear MAC Face and Body and NARS TM. I received the shade Porcelaine Blush in this foundation. It is a little bit on the pink side for my colouring but I wore a small amount of yellow coloured powder on top to even the colour out. The concealer also looks quite peach/pink but is actually the correct colour for under my eyes (cancels out blue circles).
This foundation comes in a glass bottle with the foundation on the lower end and a concealer attached under the lid. You also receive a small stand, sponge and brush in a separate box. I watched a couple of tutorials by the make up artist Monika Blunder and she uses this foundation on a few of her models. I noticed that she mentions that the product is very pigmented so she actually only uses a small amount and sheers it out. As I mentioned I prefer a light-medium coverage so when it came to applying this foundation I knew to only use a small amount.
In my opinion, this foundation is better suited to those with normal - oilier skin types. This foundation clung to my skin and made it look very dry and flaky. Very similar to what NARS Sheer Glow does to me unfortunately :(. I don't really have external dryness on my face but I would really suggest those with dry skin types to avoid this really as it emphasises any dryness. The finish is again similar to NARS Sheer Glow - Satin finish but more on the matte side. Throughout the day, I didn't experience any patchiness but my skin looked more dry than usual each time. I tried wearing it alone and also mixed it with MAC strobe liquid to give mpre luminousity however it still looked the same. This foundation can make skin look quite flat so it may be worthwhile adding some dimension by contouring afterwards etc if wearing this. It has quite a strong scent compared to other foundations and does contain fragrance (quite far down on the ingredients list). The texture is fairly thick so I would advise people to use a small amount and buff in with a buffing brush rather than a flat foundation brush.
I was actually mainly testing this out for bridal as I am a make up artist soon to be specialising solely in bridal make up. As there isn't really much information online about this product, I wanted to test it to see how it held up throughout the day. I think I will probably use this on people who get oiliness through the t-zone and who don't have sensitive skin.
My advice for anyone considering this foundation would be to try to a sample of this before purchasing as I imagine it would be very hit or miss for many people. The price point (£146)puts this foundation in the premium range so I would advise people be sure before purchasing. I can imagine this would look great on those who have slightly oilier skin however as the finish would probably look more satin than matte on those and look more skin-like than on those with drier skin.

on 4/24/2016 5:12:00 AM

This is by far the most expensive foundation I own but it's so worth it. This is truly the "your skin but better" foundation and is my go-to when I want to look pretty in the daytime under bright sunshine or a lot of light which can make some other foundations look cakey or unnatural. It looks so natural on and has a natural satin finish. It lasts all day on my skin and the concealer is a nice addition as well and works fairly well to really hide and even out any remaining blemishes. I would best describe this as making you look so pretty with gorgeous skin.

This has a medium coverage.

There are other foundations I would use for a more airbrushed (Dior) or fuller daytime coverage (it cosmetics CC cream) but for the days when you want to look pretty and natural this foundation is it!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I love everything from Caviar line, from the cream to eye cream to eye serum to facial serum; I also love the compact foundation from La Prairie, which is the best compact foundation I've ever used so I decided to give the cream foundation a try.

And it is useless... It looks just alright on my face for the first hour, which isn;t worth its price already; and it lasts for like another half hour then starts to become greasy. The coverage is very weak, and I need to use quite a bit for each time. It is indeed very moisturising, but considering its ridiculous price tag, I would definitely expect much more than that.

I didn't give up, I purchased the loose powder to give it another try. The loose powder is huge and fine, I use it to set the foundation but it doesnt really help much. So I simply use the compact powder to set it, but the compact works perfectly by itself anyway and I really dont need the foundation underneath. Anyway, with my experience with makeup products from La Prairie, I would only suggest their company foundation, which alone works very well and stay on skin like forever.