Aveda Brilliant Retexturing gel

No Image

3.7

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I don't get the rave about Aveda products, I never have. This one is no different than the others I have tried. It's ok, but too pricey for what it does. You can get the same result with DS brands at 1/4 the cost. You have to use this product sparingly or you get crunchy areas. Not good for air drying hair. Won't repurchase.

on 1/1/2015 4:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

It smells disgusting, doesn't distribute evenly through hair, and makes my hair so stiff and sticky even after it's dried. I have thick frizzy hair and I don't think this product helped AT ALL, it actually made it worse. There's still half of the tube left, and it's pathetically sitting on my counter because I can't bring myself to finish it. I normally try to finish all my products because I don't want them going to waste, but I think I'd rather toss this one.

on 10/26/2010 1:24:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

This product works well for me. I use it as a holding gel and it keeps my hair in place. It's strong, hold lasts all day. It smells a bit like patchouli oil to me but the smell fades soon after application.
It doesn't dry and flake which is why I continue to use the product even though it's a bit expensive for my budget ($16).

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This stuff worked like an average hair gel. Kinda on the Pricey side in my opinion 5 fl oz for $16.00. This is a medium hold hair gel and it held my curls for about 2-3 days and it seemed to flake in places that I did not blend it well. The scent was ok it does kinda smell masculine but the scent does not linger long.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This is by far the best gel I've ever used. Now you have to really know if a gel is the right product for what hairstyle you are trying to achieve. I'll be the first to admit gel isn't the most versatile product. I have fine but very thick naturally pin straight hair. I use this gel to mold back my blunt cut fringe under a headband so that all of the bang layers dont stick up straight behind my headband. I also use it when I put my hair up and want the hair at the nape of my neck cleanup and into my up-do without looking messy. The smell is great, but not overpowering. It lasts all day without flaking and doesn't make my hair looks wet, stiff or dirty (even on 2 day hair). You need such a small amount that I only buy the travel sized version and that lasts me for a great while. All in all a fantastic product!

Just OK.

And for $14 bucks I want something better than just OK.

The stylists keep trying to sell me this and Be Curly, but the best thing I've found for my wavy/curly hair is the humectant pomade --- in the little blue jar.

Crunchy texture - the smell is much much better than any drugstore gel - so I keep using it. I put a two-dime sized dollop in my hand, rub all over my palms, apply to ends of damp hair, and let air dry - or diffuse.

Just OK - tames the frizz, holds the curl, but a little crusty.

The smell is very gender neutral - not feminine and perfumey - which may be a good or a bad thing. To me, it smells like a "guy gel".

Will not buy again. But will use up what I have left in the tube.

on 2/8/2005 5:57:00 PM

I agree with the other reviewer that this gel cetainly isn't better than the forming gel but it smells wonderful. It does give some hold and curl to my hair. It works better when used in combination with Confixor.

JUst not enough hold for my hair.. I am usually fond of Aveda products, and while I like this better then the COnfixer, it's not better then the forming Gel. I think they need to soon market a better hold gel that hsa the same shine/conditioning abilities as this one!

on 11/20/2006 9:52:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

I have wavy hair and when I put this product in it makes my hair sooo curly! I do admit that it is a bit crispy but it's well worth it. The smells is amazing almost like perfume for your hair. It's expensive but it's the only thing that will make my wavy hair curly.

This product DOES smell amazing... right out of the bottle. After a few hours, however, it smelled really wierd and gross in my hair (medium length, quite curly, not color-treated and in good condition). I thought it was just me but a curly-haired friend reported the same thing, and her sister even commented to her that her hair smelled wierd. I like how it performs and love the smell initially, but I can't buy it anymore because it smells so icky in my hair. :-(

Popular Styling Products