MAC Cosmetics Retro Matte Lipstick - Ruby Woo

MAC Cosmetics Retro Matte Lipstick - Ruby Woo

4.4

Isododecane, Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Polybutene, Petrolatum, Cyclohexasiloxane, Kaolin, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Beeswax/Cera Alba/Cire D'Abeille, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Tocopherol, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glyceryl Behenate/Eicosadioate, Tin Oxide, Propylene Carbonate,

on 12/9/2018 6:16:00 PM

I got the little mac version because i dont wear red lippies often but i love this so much i def will purchase the reg size! I cannot wear this without mac prep and prime lip though. These two are a perfect combination and their burgundy lipliner! It looks like velvet on the lips and a classic red. I am c1 in face and body around nc20ish. This is my go to red if i want that bold lip look. I love mac diva also for the vampy look. I used to like russian red but i feel this looks better on me for some reason. I feel russian red is a tad darker and more blue based. Ruby woo is more bright which is surprisingly flattering and its very matte velvety look to it which also makes it lasts longer on the lip. If you tried russian red and felt its not the perfect red id suggest ruby woo. But by no means its unwearable, i feel its the perfect red lip without being too warm or cool. Theres def no orange in this. Some people prefer russian red because its less intimitating! Ruby woo is sucha gorgeous lipstick you cant go wrong. Its very classy and looks expensive on the lips, idk how to describe it, Def repurchase!

I went clubbing yesterday. I wanted to do a minimal eye makeup, some foundation, a flush of blush and highlighter. And a bold lip. Red was the color I wanted to wear because when can I wear a red lip when I have to do my office job (to avoid stupid commentaries I wear a nude lip color, sadly)? Never. Exactly.

I took my lip balm, removed it gently after 10 minutes, applied MAC Prep + Prime Lip Primer, waited til it felt tacky on my lips and applied Russian Red and Ruby Woo next to each other on my lips:
While Russian Red goes on smoothly and pigmented, it's hard to apply Ruby Woo since it's drier than Russian Red. I chose RW over RR since RR is a bit darker and transfers faster than RW.

I repeated the steps (lip balm, MAC Prep + Prime for lips) and tried applying RW with a lip brush from MAC. Since it's such a dry formula, I couldn't apply a pigmented layer with a lip brush.
Applied directly from the bullet, I looked in the mirror and felt absolut fabulous.
Of course, a red lip needs to have precise, sharp line. I used MAC Pro Longwear for that purpose.

Before I went to the club, I drank alot of water from the bottle. No Ruby Woo on the bottle. No smeared lipstick.
I was ready!

I must admit, I only drank another bottle of water at the club, no alcohol. So nothing else but water bottles touched my lips that night. I saw many girls that night who wore no bold lipsticks (except for one girl, she wore a purple lipstick and she danced so good) and I felt a bit strange because it was obvious I was one of the very few girls who wore a bold lip color. But guess what: You have to stand out in the crowd. A girl who dances like there is no tomorrow is more likely to get some drinks from guys than the girl who makes you think she doesn't want to be in the club right now. (Some guys wanted to approach me, but I showed them I didn't want it that night since I was there to dance.)
Some might have said bad words when they saw my red lip color but why should I care what others think of me?

I came home after 4 1/2 hours.
The lipstick faded a bit in the inner corners but it was not noticeable in the club. Plus I was a bit close to the mirror because I wanted to see the naked truth. And I was not disappointed.

Getting this baby off was not that quick as with my usual lipsticks: I used pure olive oil. Had to use it 3x with cotton balls to get rid of the lip product and the stain. And even today there is some stain visible which is not a drama for me.

All in all, this is what I learned from my night experience with Ruby Woo (and the MAC retro matte lipsticks):

- prepare your lips is key -> a lip balm is not enough if you remove it after a couple of minutes, you need MAC Prep + Prime Lip Primer or something similar which doesn't dry out your lips nor makes them too moisturized
- lip brush is helpful if you wish to apply a hint of color or line your lips -> opaque color will only show up if you apply it straight from the bullet
- clean the edges of your lips with a concealer and a detailer/tiny brush but don't overdo it or it will look cakey, plus set it lightly with powder
- a stain will be visible
- lipstick fades, even though it's a Sahara formula but it will not be visible from a far distance/in the evening
- if you don't want to worry about checking your lipstick every hour, go for retro matte as it's the formula that stays the longest on your lips

Retro Matte is my favorite finish from the MAC lipsticks, because you can make them work. You just need to prepare your lips carefully. And you do the same with everything on your face with makeup, so why not with lipstick?

on 11/8/2018 6:33:00 PM

This is THE red lipstick. It's the only red lipstick you'll ever need. If you want a red lipstick that is fancy looking and doesn't make you look like a clown this is the one! It's a blue undertoned red that will work for mostly everyone. Instantly brightens your face. The only downside on this is the insanely drying formula which is a pain. A way to deal with this is purchasing the mac prep+prime for lips. It will help you a lot woth the retro mattes.

on 8/29/2018 9:27:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

On the fence... It can be both quite flattering and too loud at the same time. Not bad, but not beautiful, either.

It also fades unevenly; at least it doesn't transfer much.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Ruby Woo definitely the best red lipstick ever!! I have tried other reds from MAC - Relentlessly Red, Lady Danger and Flat Out Fabulous, I still think Ruby Woo is the best!

Comparing to other MAC matte lipstick, Ruby Woo is a bit dry. But it is not that flaky on the lips or give me streaks. It still apply on my lips nicely and stayed on quite long throughout the day. probably need a bit touch up here and there but it is alright.

I am leaning more towards liquid lipstick now, but any shades that i see in red liquid form i can't help but to compare it with Ruby Woo. I stopped buying any red lipstick at the moment but in the future if i am not satisfied with any other red lipstick i would probably go back to buying this color. If there is ever a TOP 5 MAC makeup product must have, this should be in it!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The color is hands down gorgeous. I usually go for pinky reds, true reds don't really flatter my complexion with this one being an exception.
The color lasts for about 6 hours with drinks and a meal without requiring a touch-up. It never bleeds, I wear it without lip liner. It does leave the marks on anything you touch with your lips but stays put nevertheless.
I would love to wear it daily but it's very drying. I put my lip balm before starting my makeup, pat it with the tissue before applying the lipstick, use a lip scrub as soon as I take the lipstick off, yet I can't wear it two days in the row because of how dry my lips become every evening and how much peeling they have the next day.
Keeping it for parties. Won't buy it again.

on 7/23/2018 11:19:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I have so many shades of lipsticks but Ruby Woo is my all time favorite! I pretty much wear this shade every day and get compliments from everyone! I have a doctor I work with who comes by the lab just to see if I’m wearing my RED lipstick!! I love it!!!

on 7/22/2018 9:25:00 AM

This baby right here is the holy grail of red lipsticks. The perfect blue-toned red that pops, no matter your skin color. I try to wear it sparingly just because it's such a statement color and I stick to pinks and mauves for my daily lip color, but every so often, I whip this out and feel like a million bucks wearing it.

The only downside to it is that it's tricky to work with, due to the formula being so matte. I'd recommend a good, moisturizing lip balm or primer underneath it and a lip liner as well. This stuff will feather if you're not careful.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

My favorite res lipstick! It’s a classic. I love to make it pop with the Sephora forever red matte lip stain. I get compliments every time I wear it out.

on 6/6/2018 11:54:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

Every time I wear this lipstick i feel instantly feminine, beautiful and dressed up even when i'm wearing old jeans and a tee my favorite way to wear it. The hype for once is well deserved. Plus using this with a red lip liner underneath it lasts through an entire day of work. Love it and it's going to be part of my collection always