MAC Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

MAC Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

4.4

on 2/15/2018 2:09:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This red really makes a statement since it is so bright and matte. What sets this apart from other red lipsticks is it’s matteness, which also makes it a pain to apply. It’s extremely dry and not creamy but once I get it on it the lips it feels weightless and doesn’t make my lips look or feel dry at all, unlike every liquid lipstick I’ve tried. I always use a lipliner because of the application difficulty. I prefer it for special occasions. I prefer viva glam 1 for everyday wear and also find it more flattering on my medium olive skin. I really like this lipstick and it will last me ages since it’s so pigmented and long lasting so I don’t think I’ll be repurchasing anytime soon.

on 2/13/2018 10:25:00 AM

I love this colour, it’s so iconic and everyone guesses that it’s ruby woo but goodness this lipstick is such hard work! It’s a bit too matte and really drags going on, you have to be very slow and careful. Your lips also need to be in tip top condition to get away with it otherwise it looks awful, it clings badly to any dry, chapped bits. You also need a liner with it too. If I didn’t love the colour so much then I wouldn’t bother myself!

on 1/25/2018 3:31:00 PM

If anyone ever asked me what red lipstick they should buy, I never fail to say MAC RUBY WOO!! Best red lipstick one ever have. I’m addicted to it! ❤️

on 11/13/2017 1:56:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

This is a beautiful color and good formula -- but by no means effortless. I first purchased Ruby Woo looking for another classic red lip that I could just swipe on whenever-wherever, so I was disappointed when this dry, fully matte formula didn't quite go on my lips all buttery like some of my other favorite lipsticks. If you're looking for an easy red lip, Ruby Woo might be unnecessarily difficult. I thought it was, at first. In my case, though, the red was such beautiful color that I didn't want to give up on it.

Color-wise, the red of Ruby Woo is pretty universal. It wears bright on my skin. The shade of red brings out the best of many different complexions. Ruby Woo is also great to wear with minimal makeup in the summer -- just some feathered brows, light mascara, and sheerly applied base makeup. Since it's so matte, I combine it with dewy skin and always use lightweight and liquid products for the rest of my look.

TECHNIQUE

Depending on how it's applied, Ruby Woo can last a long while with just one or two retouches throughout the day. I always start by moisturizing my lips thoroughly and blotting with tissue paper so only the right amount of moisture remains. If properly moisturized, the bullet can apply with minimal tugging and deposit the right amount of pigment. I apply a generous amount of lipstick to the center of my lips (not focusing on precision) and then I take my ring finger and blot the color outwards to cover all of my lips, including edges and corners. Then, I take a firm q-tip with a tiny bit of micellar water and gently clean up anything that smudged too far out. The overall effect is a blotted, diffused, puffy look that's fully matte. You can certainly get a really clean, dramatic edge with a lip brush, but I have other lipsticks I like better for that. For the Ruby Woo, I prefer blotted and a tiny bit smudgy.

After initial application, I always carry the lipstick with me and bring a lip balm that's not too wet (I prefer Carmex or Nuxe). The overall staying power of Ruby Woo is strong, so any wear tends to come from the center of the lips as I eat or drink. Thankfully, the edges remain super intact, and retouching the center is easy as long as I have a compact mirror on hand. Using a corner of my mirror, I'll blend a little bit of balm and lipstick until the heat of my finger has warmed up the mixture slightly. Then, with dabbing motions, I'll apply the mixture directly where the lipstick has warmed off and then take a couple of seconds to press the lipstick with my fingers in so that the new application blends in with everything else. Voila.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

a perfect red lipstick for everyone
i think it looks good on any skin tone as long as you feel confident when use it
very opaque and not drying

on 11/3/2017 9:25:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

you just wanna have this red lipstick and you gonna be very sexy with juicy lips and sooo matte finish which is too difficult to find!very nice mac!!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Ahh Ruby Woo, you were my biggest lipstick disapointment- ever. First off I love, love the color. RED, period. Maybe THE perfect red. Not to dark, not to bright, no pink tones, no orange tones. However, this is just way to dry for me. Now, I have no fear of matte lips. I only wear matte red lips but no matter what I do I cannot get Ruby Woo to work. For me Its hard to apply and within an hour its just peeling, chipping, crumbling and fading in the center of my lips and it is impossible to reapply evenly. So jealous of all you ladies who can get this work because Ruby Woo truly is a beautiful red.

Even though I constantly am trying new reds from different brands, I always go back to Ruby Woo. Perfect matte classic red, very flattering on my NW18 skin . The only thing I don't like is how drying it is in the tube , which makes it slightly hard to apply since it doesn't glide on as smooth as I would like.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I... really don't get the hype here. I truly tried to make it work. The formula is treacherous, pigmentation is okay at best, and the color has those drugstore magenta undertones. On me (NC40 muted cool yellow olive), it's not very bright and it's super pinky. I don't really have dry lips, but it just crumbles off and fades after a few hours. There are much better vintage reds out there imo. I respect Ruby Woo for being the OG, but it just falls flat for me. I'm super picky with my reds, though. For a BRIGHT matte midtone red, I prefer Stila Beso/Sephora Always Red (they're the same thing, trust me lol), though my favorite old Hollywood red is Bite Gazpacho (has an amazing blue patent finish and is ultra pigmented).

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Beautiful. Classic. Timeless. If you're thinking about buying it for the first time, you will not regret it. I have actually bought a few of my friends this lipstick as a gift- they all have different skin tones and it looks stunning on all of them. A must-have lipstick.

Popular Lipsticks