MAC Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

MAC Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

4.4

Even though I constantly am trying new reds from different brands, I always go back to Ruby Woo. Perfect matte classic red, very flattering on my NW18 skin . The only thing I don't like is how drying it is in the tube , which makes it slightly hard to apply since it doesn't glide on as smooth as I would like.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I... really don't get the hype here. I truly tried to make it work. The formula is treacherous, pigmentation is okay at best, and the color has those drugstore magenta undertones. On me (NC40 muted cool yellow olive), it's not very bright and it's super pinky. I don't really have dry lips, but it just crumbles off and fades after a few hours. There are much better vintage reds out there imo. I respect Ruby Woo for being the OG, but it just falls flat for me. I'm super picky with my reds, though. For a BRIGHT matte midtone red, I prefer Stila Beso/Sephora Always Red (they're the same thing, trust me lol), though my favorite old Hollywood red is Bite Gazpacho (has an amazing blue patent finish and is ultra pigmented).

on 7/20/2017 12:55:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Wow! I probably never would have looked twice at this particular lipstick in the store, but discovered why it is so coveted after receiving a sample card of approximately 6 mac lipstick bubbles in the mail. That was truly brilliant marketing because I am now obsessed with this stuff and will buy it the second I find it on sale. I usually shy away from reds and would ordinarily have been attracted to the more subtle and subdued shades on the card, but they turned out to wash me out and weren't at all flattering; meanwhile, this unlikely winner looked absolutely gorgeous on my pale redhead complexion, brightened me up even without a stitch of other makeup (in fact, it's exactly the kind of lipstick you want to wear w/ an otherwise bare face), and provided polish without being at all garish. Since it was a tiny sample and I tried it on under unusual circumstances, I can't really speak for the texture or wear; however, the color is so amazing that it's almost irrelevant. I'm officially in love!

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I absolutely adore this classic! I don't wear red very often, but when I'm looking for that statement lip I reach for Ruby Woo every time. I can wear it with just a little mascara and eyeliner and instantly feel dramatically glam. It looks amazing just finger smudged onto the lip for a casual stained look too. HG status for sure! 💄💋

on 7/17/2017 6:20:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

Most wanted and hyped lipstick of the era. So how can I miss this lipstick. It looks beautiful on my tiny little lips, I am between NC35-40 but honestly russian red looks more flattering on me.
I like the pigmentation and it stays for about 6-7 hours.
Finish is retro matte which is quite drying so you need to prep your lips before using the product.
Next time I would like to go for their Russian red.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Beautiful. Classic. Timeless. If you're thinking about buying it for the first time, you will not regret it. I have actually bought a few of my friends this lipstick as a gift- they all have different skin tones and it looks stunning on all of them. A must-have lipstick.

on 6/8/2017 9:49:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

After going through my lipstick collection and struggling to find a classic red that fitted my aesthetic of vintage velvet red, I decided it was time to remedy the situation. I didn't want to spend too much money (although I live in Australia and that's just bound to happen). My Chanel 19 and Dior 999 was okay on, but it was just that, an okay red but nothing spectacular and usually at the end of the night no matter what I did it would look like I've made out with a clown.

After doing a decent bit of research, I've narrowed my selection down into MAC's Russian Red, Lady Danger and Ruby Woo. Russian Red appealed the most to me after looking at online swatches, but I thought I better go try it on in store after previous purchasing disasters (I'm looking at you, MAC Ravishing). The lovely lady at David Jones counter was so kind and I tried them on one by one. They were all beautiful, but nothing really stood out to me until I put on Ruby Woo.

In the past I have heard of Mac's most famous lipstick, but being a warmer toned person (NC15, Nars Gobi) I didn't think the cool toned red would suit me and never thought of purchasing it. The one or two occasion that I swatched it in store I was put off by the dryness of Ruby Woo being constantly dehydrated person that I am. Ladies, do yourself a favour and TRY IT ON YOUR LIPS. It immediately changed my lips to a beautiful classic vintage red and looked velvety in texture. I had no make up on but I finally understood why in the olden days ladies would feel presentable even without other makeup as long as they had red lipstick on, because I felt beautiful just by wear this alone. It felt like I've put on feminism in a tube and the power of all women foremothers running through my veins.

I have noticed the online swatches doesn't do this beautiful lipstick justice, but it still looked beautiful on ladies who had much more tanned skin tones than mine. Ladies, don't hesitate or be put off by the cool-toned description or the dry feel of the lipstick, with adequate prep work I think anyone could wear this.

Tl;dr: Beautiful on lips, warm and cool toned friendly, day and night makeup friendly, pale to tanned tones friendly, vintage/glam aesthetics, makes your lips look velvety and confidence booster.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

I really wish this lipstick worked for me. It's touted as a classic but it definitely isn't a colour that will suit everyone.

I am Asian with cool olive skin (NC15-20). I used to love this because I kept hearing that it was a colour that worked on everyone. 5 years on after getting this, I realise that this just isn't for me. My lips aren't pigmented so when I slap this on, it's like "WHAM". It's very eye catching but obnoxiously bright (like a fire engine red). On me, it makes my lips really stand out in an unflattering way because they're thick and makes me really self-conscious. It's just too strong and maybe this is because I am a low contrast person who has fair skin and dark hair and eyes. (I've uploaded a photo to demonstrate how it looks). I personally prefer MAC's Russian Red to this because it's a muted darker red which isn't as stark.

The formula is OK - it's definitely not budgeproof. It's slightly difficult to apply but I don't mind it that much. It goes on great with the MAC prep and prime lip primer, which makes it less drying and last longer. Whilst pricey at $36 AUD, it definitely lasts a long time since I don't really wear red lipstick anymore. I've had my Ruby Woo since 2012 and the formula remains unchanged and in excellent condition. Love the tube and the packaging - it's simplistic and minimalistic. I think it's worth trying but I can't really recommend this to people who have low contrast colouring or those with olive skintones.

on 6/2/2017 8:27:00 AM

I absolutely love the color, and the cool undertones, who works so good with my complexion. It is, however, extremely dry. I use the MAC prep+prime lip first to make it apply smoothly, but reapplying is a nightmare.

on 7/12/2017 9:22:00 AM

Hands down the most flattering gorgeous red lipstick ever!!