MAC Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

MAC Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

4.4

on 4/27/2017 11:37:00 AM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

the most universal red lipstick shade it literally suits every skin tone.

on 4/10/2017 12:41:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Oh Ruby Woo! I am so torn about you!
On the one hand the colour is absolutely gorgeous on me - incredibly lifting, flattering and brightening to my whole face. Vibrant, look-at-me red that garners instant compliments from everybody. But on the other hand, the formula is notoriously dry, and I definitely feel it when I use this lipstick. I usually just suck it up when it comes to lipstick, but this is REALLY dry. When I bought my first tube of Ruby Woo I bought MAC Prep and prime along with it, and that helped somewhat, although it made applying this a two-step process which was kind of annoying, but then I lost my prep and prime :/ I also lost my Ruby Woo, which made me panic and get another tube....and then I lost it again, and I got my third tube.. haha. I had already decided I couldn't live without this lipstick. My conclusion is, this is fine in the more humid months like spring and summer. But when the dry, punishing winter comes, my lips really can't deal with this without a primer or balm underneath, and then it just gets to be too much trouble. But I do have two tubes of this knocking around! And it really is beautiful. A well-deserved reputation overall.

This is a little more orange than Russian Red, for those trying to decide between the two, and brighter. Russian red is definitely more moisturizing, too, if that's any help.

on 4/4/2017 8:36:00 AM

beautiful true red, long lasting, not that drying, love this.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

HG red lipstick (Russian Red comes after) and here is why: Pro: - long lasting formula - matte finish - the real true red (my opinion) - fits every skin tone - makes you feel glam and sexy - not for the faint hearted but I like that Cons: - price but you get a real High End product, and you'll tell yourself: It was worth the cash

Love, love, love this lipstick!
I´m 40 now and used this lipstick for years.
For reference: I´m a MAC NC 10-15/ BB warm ivory with pale skin and a warm undertone. I have amber eyes, black lashes and eyebrows and brown hair.
The paleness of my skin makes it hard for me to find a good red, because I don´t want to look like a clown with red lipstick. Many red lipsticks look too dark or too clownish on my lips.
But this is a beautiful, blue-based clear red on my lips, very vintage, very glamouros. The matte formula makes it look classy, old hollywood and never ever tacky or cheap and not too old-fashioned. Despite the vintage-retro feeling this lipstick has, it also manages to look very cool, fresh and modern at the same time. Very important as I don´t want a red colour on my lips, that gives me a grandma-feeling.
Of course, the colour is bold and bright. I hadn´t had the courage to wear this colour when I was very young, but now, I love to wear this red. Makes me feel sophisticated, grown up and chic, but also sexy and goes with everything from torn jeans to a little black dress.
I wear it as a daytime lipstick and for me, it´s really suitable for every occasion. Whether I got to work and wear formal office outifts or go to breakfast /coffee with my girlfriends in used jeans, t-shirt and chucks, this always makes me look fresh and vibrant.
For years, I tried all of the nude tones, the my-lips-but-better tones and none of them did me any favours. I looked tired and washed out no matter which nude I was trying. For me, red lipstick does the trick of enlighten my face and counteract my somtimes sallow complexion.
To make it look young, fresh and wearable in daytime, I follow the rule to pair it with as little make up as I can get away with. Meaning for me, I wear mascara, brow gel, concealer, tinted sunscreen, subtle highlighter and blush, which sounds like a lot of products, but is actually a no make up look (which we all know is make up that doesn´t look like make up). I try to keep the base as light as possible and never ever use much eye make up with this lipstick. This make up plus messy tousled hair gives me a perfect effortless french-model-off-duty-with-red-lipstick look.
As I tried it on my best friend, who has pale skin with pink undertones, it was still beautiful and worked for her, but looked more yellow-based. Seems it develops differently on every woman, which is why I don´t claim this works on every woman.
The formula is a matte, which clearly isn´t everbodies darling, but I prefer this extremely matte formula over any other formula out there. Yes, it is drying, but I love the lasting power this formula gives the lipstick. You got to decide, if you can tolerate the formula, because it has the big plus of lasting and lasting and it´s easier to maintain than other red lipsticks. I had unnerving experiences with more moist lipsticks like Ladybug from MAC, which needs to be reapplied continuously and tends to bleed, which is not a good look.
Throughout the day, I usually drink several cups of coffee and tea, have breakfast and lunch and only have to reapply this lipstick once. Plus it doesn´t transfer too much on coffee cups or disappears when you eat, which I like.
Since it´s drying, I prep my lips with good layer of Eight Hour cream overnight and the lipstick goes on beautifully.
If you´re still on the search for a red lipstick or unsure about how to wear it, here are some videos form Lisa Eldridge, which I found very helpful:

I love this lipstick and I encourage you to try it at the MAc counter if that´s possible. I dare to say, it looks good on many women, but you´ve got to test, how it works on your personal skin and lip tone.
For me, Ruby Woo is instant glamour in a lipstick tube and incredibly flattering.
Love it.

on 3/11/2017 12:08:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

The best red lipstick! A bit thick when I use it though. You need to moisturise well your lips before applying it.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Your entire look just completely changes with this lipstick. It gives you that retro elegant look. My total HG!!! However it dries your lips, so be sure to scrub, moisturise then blot first before applying this lipstick. Totally worth it!

If u have not used ruby woo... U don't know what red lips are..... Amazing color nothing can beat ruby woo in world of red lipstick. Matches any skin tone no matter wat cmplxn you are of .... ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

on 1/29/2017 10:54:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This is my first lipstick from MAC. I love the bullet, the vanilla scent, and the great blue-ish red.
But the texture make me little uncomfortable.

on 1/26/2017 10:17:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

What can I say that the others reviewers haven't already said or raved about this lipstick. My first " high end" lipstick was MAC since then have moved on to other brands. Came back for this color after watching/reading countless videos and blog posts. This is the best red I have ever tried for my( NC40) skin tone. I don't believe that I am saying this but I love MAC's matte finish than their regular finish. I love that there is no scent and it goes on dry and doesn't budge for hours till u get a bite to eat. I can deal with that, this is not a tattoo :P I get compliments every time I wear this color. I thought the matte finish was gonna dry my lips out but it was not as bad as I thought. An overnight lip balm application can take care of that. I have been using this lipstick during the winter months without an issue. I got to really thank "Youtuber Arshia Moorjani" for turning me on to bright lipsticks.