Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain

4.5

on 6/30/2010 2:16:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I first received this as a gift when my fiance took a trip to Paris to visit relatives. Now..realize that I was never much of a "perfume" girl because so many scents give me a massive headache that my fragrance collection is really very limited. Anyway...from the second I first used this I loved the scent--the test would be waiting for the headache. Suffice it to say, I never got a headache!
Since then, this has been my go-to, regular, every day scent. It is clean and not heavy at all, but during the day it leaves a subtle scent. It really feels so fresh!! This is the only scent I've worn where so many people have asked me what scent I'm wearing--because they love it. In fact, I actually had a guy follow me throughout a store one day to find out the name b/c he wanted to purchase it for his wife. I love L'Instant and always get it when I'm in France--it is actually easier to come by there than over here.
I'm also totally in love with Guerlain's L'Heur Bleu--OMG. I love that scent so much..that said, due to our personal body chemistry, we all wear our scents differently. My fave may be your clothspin-over-the-nose scent and visa versa. However, Geurlain just has so many beautiful scents.
Hope this helps!

on 5/20/2010 5:45:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

so sweet and feminine!

on 4/25/2010 1:15:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I LOVE Luca Turin's review of L'Instant -- something that sounds like a great idea when you're drunk and then the next morning, you're just kicking yourself. I totally agree and would add that during that drunken fit, what an effing grand time you're having. Forget the perfume snobs, though. This is a great scent -- and probably the first "grown up" perfume I ever bought. I fell in love with it because it seemed so elegant and ladylike, all the things I wanted to be. Now I know the perfume snobs hate it because they see it as bringing down the house of Guerlain. Whatever. This was my first Guerlain fragrance and it served as an intro to the even better things their house had to offer: L'Heure Bleue, Chamade...we could go on forever here. With hindsight, I can see the validity of the argument that Instant doesn't quite fit in with the illustrious company of Guerlain's other perfumes. But, again: whatevs, man. Instant's sillage is great, the longevity is great. Compared to Shalimar, it's mediocre...but what isn't mediocre when compared to Shalimar? In short, I'd say Instant is a naive young woman's vision of what an elegant, chic perfume smells like. I wore this once and one of my girlfriends told me I smelled like a young woman who knows what she wants out of life -- what better compliment is there?

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I bought this as part of my continuting search for a new signature fragrance (Boucheron's Initial is discontinued.) I do like it. It is warm, spicy, and floral at the same time.

If I had to describe it to someone who is unfamiliar with perfume lingo, I would say it smells like rice pudding and roses.

I do notice that when I wear it, people tend to stop and talk to me a bit more than ususal. I am not sure if that is a coincedence or if it has something to to with the fragrance.

I would buy this again.

on 12/30/2005 11:22:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is gorgeous. One of the most long lasting perfumes I have ever tried. One or two spritz at 7am and it is still going strong at 7pm! Absolutely lovely and my favorite Guerlain. Uplifting and sophisticated. Very comforting. Love it!

on 5/19/2005 5:17:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

What a gorgeous fragrance. It's different from all other fragrances I've tried, in that it doesn't have top-middle-base notes, but rather notes that intermingle. At first it smells very citrusy and fresh, reminiscent of 4711. Then it goes into a lovely floral phase, very bright and feminine. Then lastly a light golden amber smell takes over, giving it warmth. Then it's all back to the citrusy phase again. And it keeps doing this, all day! I love it.

Popular Fragrances