GUERLAIN L'Instant de Guerlain

Filtered by skin tone : Other
GUERLAIN L'Instant de Guerlain
L'Instant de GuerlainNo Title

3.7

Top Notes: Bergamot, Mandarin Orange, Red Apple.

Heart Notes: Iris, Jasmine, Ylang-Ylang, Magnolia.

Base Notes: Musk, Amber, Benzoin, Vanilla, Honey.

Upon initial application, I perceive a rather bright, sharp citrus note that must have been a combination of the mandarin orange and bergamot, but I was unable to pick out the apple note. L'Instant transitions to the heart notes pretty quickly. I highly anticipated the heart and base notes after reading other reviews of this fragrance, and once they arrived, I was not disappointed!

In the heart notes I perceive a quite green, fresh, strong magnolia note accompanied by a smidgen of jasmine, both of which seemed to float upon the most deliciously soft, lightly sweet honey note. I also detect a tiny bit of ylang-ylang which adds to the light sweetness of the honey note. The parfum really begins to blossom quite beautifully with the heart notes.

In the dry down, I am able to pick out a sensual amber, a slightly smokey vanilla, a rich, naturalistic honey, a tiny bit of musk, and still a remnant of the fresh, green magnolia. The base notes are warm and very nearly gourmand but not quite. Together the heart and base notes make L'Instant a true standout amongst fragrances that feature prominent magnolia and honey notes. This is the best, most naturalistic, warm and rich honey note I have encountered in a fragrace outside of Elie Saab's Le Parfum Intense EdP which is a gorgeous fragrance.

I truly love both the heart and base notes in this EdP. I do not understand how anyone could describe L'Instant as either cloyingly sweet or heavy in any way. I found it to be a quite LIGHT and inoffensive scent. It is quietly elegant and truly unobtrusive. Compared to some of my classic Guerlains such as L'Heure Bleue and Mitsouko, L'Instant is an extremely demure fragrance, and I cannot imagine it would offend anyone given how lightly and airily it wears on my skin. As for age appropriateness, I think any woman in her twenties and upward could easily wear this fragrance.

L'Instant is elegant, classy, and very FRENCH smelling. I like it very much, but I wish it were a tiny bit more assertive. Unless someone were standing within an arm's distance of the wearer, I do not think L'Instant could be detected.

Maurice Roucel has added a new "classic" to Guerlain's stable of classic fragrances. I think I would like to have the matching body lotion for this in order to give it a bit more oomph, though. This is so very feminine, soft, elegant, and ladylike. I think it would be suitable year round in virtually any setting.

Again, I would like to emphasise that it is NOT heavy, cloying, or overly sweet. The sweetness in it is very light and very naturalistic as opposed to synthetic. It does not have a sugary, candy sweetness to it at all. In short, it is simply gorgeous. I definitely recommend everyone give L'Instant EdP a test. It is back up bottle worthy and even signature worthy.

Fragrance: 8/10
Sillage: 6/10
Projection: 6/10
Longevity: 6/10

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I can't figure it out... i smell it and i like it but i don't think Wow i love this, but its pleasant and welcoming. What draws me to it is the fact that everyone keeps asking what i am wearing and would go as far as follow me to the bathroom and watch it when i take it out of the bag. Random people stop me on the streets and ask me what it is and i can easily say that does not happen with any other. So that is the main reason i buy it as lets face it after a few minutes you adapt to the smell and can very rarely smell your own perfume so what others think is the key, it being your husband, friends, colleagues or just people around you... I like it but prefer the Gucci Guilty smell a lot more, however i never get complimented when wearing the Gucci as nice as it is.

I loved the scent of this on a scent strip, but it turned into disgusting baby powder with a hint of jasmine on me. Not only that, it's very strong. I don't know which note makes things turn into baby powder smell, but things do have a tendency to go that way on me, so if you have the same problem, I would steer clear of this fragrance.

on 11/21/2007 6:15:00 AM

I am not sensitive and usually like strong perfumes, but this gave me a bad headache and I felt really sick using it. Besides that, too much citrus and amber.

on 7/23/2007 2:56:00 AM

My boyfriend gave me this (edp) as a gift two years ago and at first I felt bad because I thought it was too strong and it wasn't for me. This is now my signature fragrance. I fell in love with it. I don't think it smells like an old lady. I'm 25 and I don't think I'm an old lady..lol..My boyfriend loves it when I wear this. It's very classy, feminine and sexy.

The fact that this perfume resembles so many others (Tresor, Toccade etc.) may be the reason that it seems so commonplace to me. It smells like any other department store scent, and gave me a crashing headache.

Regarding the great review by "ayala": L'Instant and TOCADE were both created by Maurice Roucel. Maybe this is the reason why ayala smells some similarity in both fragrances! Maurice Roucel created also the brand-new Guerlain: Insolent.

on 6/14/2006 12:09:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I get compliments on this whenever I wear it. It is so feminine and lasts all day. I can spray it in the morning, and still catch whiffs in the evening. I love it.

on 5/21/2006 1:28:00 PM

I sprayed a sample of this to try out. As I was contemplating washing this off due to the honey note and general 'blah' impression that I got, my husband came home. Out of the blue, he exclaimed that my new perfume smells fantastic. So this is distinct, I guess. When I told him it was only a sample, he said that I must purchase a bottle immediately. Oddly, my husband does not like sweet scents, so I have no idea why L'Instant struck him. I have tons of perfume and am not in need of a new fragrance. But I am going to try it out on another day and see if Dh is as wild about it as he was today. The only thing I can't understand is if he likes L'Instant so much, how come he condemned my Musc Ravageur?

on 1/15/2006 2:26:00 AM

This scent invokes a subtle sexiness - enhanced by the innocence of vanilla, and the youthfulness of citrus. The scent is not too complex, and I don't think this will clash with too many body chemistries. I h ave to agree with others though, that this scent does not smell too unique...it reminds me a lot of HM Butterfly.

Popular Fragrances