Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain

Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain
L'Instant de GuerlainNo Title

3.8

on 8/29/2003 7:55:00 PM

Guerlain boldly gambles on its newest fragrance market launch, L'Instant de Guerlain, conceived to become the brand's contemporary flagship fragrance, a second coming of sorts of the immortal Shalimar. In fact, it is already listed, a bit prematurely as it may be, on guerlain.fr in the star fragrance section along with Shalimar and Vetiver.

The launch includes Eau de Parfum, parfum and matching line of perfumed body products. I am looking forward to seeing whether L'Instant's commercial success will live up to Guerlain's expectations. In the meanwhile, being a devotee of (almost) all and any Guerlain's creations, I banked on a blind purchase and have mixed feelings about the fragrance. L'Instant, as people have mentioned on the perfume board, has the familiar Guerlinade stamp dutifully recreated by outside perfumers who had been invited to breathe new life into the House of Guerlain after Jacques Guerlain's (affectionately known as St. Jacques for the stipendous legacy he left behind for the world to enjoy) retirement.

The florals are generously veiled by ambery Bourbon vanilla. The first impression reminded me of a mouthwatering, deliciously toxic note in Addict. L'Instant is sheerer, brighter, with a musky drydown. Its marketing campaing touts it as "the magic of magnolia". By the way, the short-sighted marketing vision regarding L'Instant targets a 35+ year-old audience. Without a doubt, many younger perfume lovers will also enjoy L'Instant. At this point, I am underwhelmed by its lack of originality. In the same olfactory group, I vastly prefer Addict. As far as recent Guerlain creations go, in my opinion, the Aqua Allegoria series, Mahora and With Love showcased the creativity of the House more convincingly than L'Instant.

<br update: in the cool of late february when a hint of spring is in the air, i suddenly found myself in love with L'Instant. that seamless, cuddly magnolia/vanilla bean ice cream accord has the right balance of straight-up sweet comfort and uplifting elegance.

on 9/18/2003 2:47:00 PM

I'm in love in L'Instant de Guerlain... The smell is deep, full and original.

on 9/19/2003 3:26:00 PM

O, what a dissappointment!!! I went this morning to the shop to try this one, and I was stupid enough to spray it on my arm. I got a fist of vanilla on my nose, and an instant headache. Well, there is nothing wrong with the fragrance. In jeneral. There is only one small detail - this is Guerlain, and one Guerlain CAN'T be so boring and undistinguished as this one is...Well, I guess the time when the house made a real works of art is gone forever...
I will stick to the older creations. At least they have the style. Guerlain style.

on 9/24/2003 6:26:00 PM

I absolutely agree with Dahlia's review. This smells absolutely not special at all, nor does it remind me of any of the more traditional Guerlain fragrances. It smells to me like any other generic fragrance.

on 10/1/2003 4:14:00 PM

I talk here about Guerlain, the quintessence of French perfume-art and a new Guerlain is allways an event. After the boring Champs Elysées and the overhelmingly vulgar Mahora (unfortunately without sense of humour) my expectations on l'Instant were very high. Was it possible that the fall of the house Guerlain had began or would this new creation catapult them again on the Olymp of Fragrances? No it did not! It seems as if the inspiration and the fantasy of the externe "Nose" of this creation and father of the unforgettable and elegant scent 24, Faubourg was crushed by the weight of the name Guerlain. Or maybe his origin-creation was a victim of some profit-orientated comitee. Who knows! But I know that this compositon is nothing new, something between Allure and J'adore, the market is ful of perfumes that scent like this one!

on 10/16/2003 5:33:00 AM

Hair: Other, Other, Medium

At first it was a big let-down. I was expecting it to be much more than it is. When my high expectetions were gone and after the first disappointment I tested it again and again to judge it for what it is. And I decided I liked it very much.

It is honey sweet (with a citrus hint in the honey smell), slightly spicy at first, drying down to a warm floral note still carrying the honey note. A beautiful fall/winter scent, which trully caresses you and does not come out strong, but all the while distinct and beautiful.

I now realise that the Guerlain promotion team should have come up with a better promotion plan, because the initial disappointment was all their fault.

Lastly, I find the packaging is state-of-the art elegant!

Overall, a very nice fragrance.

on 10/11/2003 4:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Growing up, my maternal grandparents who raised me, had a huge magnolia tree at the southeast corner of their property. It was beautiful; perfectly shaped, with big creamy white blossoms that bloomed throughout the warmer months of the year. Funny, but I never stuck my nose into those creamy petals to smell the scent. Last month, two dear MUA friends each sent me samples of L'Instant. They both knew that I was dying to try it. But for some reason, I just kept putting off testing it. Then just last week, my dearest MUA friend, Andrea, sent me a beautiful mini L'Instant. I admired the gorgeous bottle and was going to display it in my bathroom, scent completely pristeen and untouched. Then my LA MUA friend, Barbara, came over and convinced me to finally try it. And, I did. And, I love it! Why did I procrastinate? Yes, I know it is not the greatest of the Guerlain collection. It's not ravishing like Mitsouko; not sophisticated like Vol de Nuit; not sparkling happy like Meteorites or softly feminine like Parure; and no, it's not distinctively beautiful like Guerlinade. But I love it, nonetheless. And my DH loves it. I guess that's good enough for me...finally!

At first I wasnt quite sure whether I liked this fragrance or not. But now i do, the dry down is very nice with a subtle vanilla musky smell. I have to agree with some of the others in saying there isnt anything special about this fragrance considering it is a Guerlain. My expectations were much higher, however I do like it.

very disappointed by the latest Guerlain. Being a fan of several Guerlain perfumes - I found this very artificial smelling - the magnolia is not pleasant as one would expect and guess what I had a splitting headache after trying this. Took me a long time to review this because I tried it four times and was more unimpressed each time :(

Fans of classic Guerlains will be disappointed. Reminds me of a department store fragrance, perhaps a bit more refined. The notes listed on the carded sample I received were magnolia, honey, and amber. Well, real magnolias have a discinct, lemon-like quality that isnt' here at all. What I really smell is the honey, and the amber, with a sort of vague white floral (but no stinky jasmine). Not likely to intrigue -- nor offend -- anyone. Drydown was too sweet on me; in fact, the fragrance as a whole was too sweet. But it does have a creamy quality that another reviewer mentioned that, at least, keeps it from knocking you over.

Popular Fragrances