Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain

Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain

3.8

Top Notes: Bergamot, Mandarin Orange, Red Apple.

Heart Notes: Iris, Jasmine, Ylang-Ylang, Magnolia.

Base Notes: Musk, Amber, Benzoin, Vanilla, Honey.

Upon initial application, I perceive a rather bright, sharp citrus note that must have been a combination of the mandarin orange and bergamot, but I was unable to pick out the apple note. L'Instant transitions to the heart notes pretty quickly. I highly anticipated the heart and base notes after reading other reviews of this fragrance, and once they arrived, I was not disappointed!

In the heart notes I perceive a quite green, fresh, strong magnolia note accompanied by a smidgen of jasmine, both of which seemed to float upon the most deliciously soft, lightly sweet honey note. I also detect a tiny bit of ylang-ylang which adds to the light sweetness of the honey note. The parfum really begins to blossom quite beautifully with the heart notes.

In the dry down, I am able to pick out a sensual amber, a slightly smokey vanilla, a rich, naturalistic honey, a tiny bit of musk, and still a remnant of the fresh, green magnolia. The base notes are warm and very nearly gourmand but not quite. Together the heart and base notes make L'Instant a true standout amongst fragrances that feature prominent magnolia and honey notes. This is the best, most naturalistic, warm and rich honey note I have encountered in a fragrace outside of Elie Saab's Le Parfum Intense EdP which is a gorgeous fragrance.

I truly love both the heart and base notes in this EdP. I do not understand how anyone could describe L'Instant as either cloyingly sweet or heavy in any way. I found it to be a quite LIGHT and inoffensive scent. It is quietly elegant and truly unobtrusive. Compared to some of my classic Guerlains such as L'Heure Bleue and Mitsouko, L'Instant is an extremely demure fragrance, and I cannot imagine it would offend anyone given how lightly and airily it wears on my skin. As for age appropriateness, I think any woman in her twenties and upward could easily wear this fragrance.

L'Instant is elegant, classy, and very FRENCH smelling. I like it very much, but I wish it were a tiny bit more assertive. Unless someone were standing within an arm's distance of the wearer, I do not think L'Instant could be detected.

Maurice Roucel has added a new "classic" to Guerlain's stable of classic fragrances. I think I would like to have the matching body lotion for this in order to give it a bit more oomph, though. This is so very feminine, soft, elegant, and ladylike. I think it would be suitable year round in virtually any setting.

Again, I would like to emphasise that it is NOT heavy, cloying, or overly sweet. The sweetness in it is very light and very naturalistic as opposed to synthetic. It does not have a sugary, candy sweetness to it at all. In short, it is simply gorgeous. I definitely recommend everyone give L'Instant EdP a test. It is back up bottle worthy and even signature worthy.

Fragrance: 8/10
Sillage: 6/10
Projection: 6/10
Longevity: 6/10

on 5/12/2016 10:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Other than Insolence, this is my other favorite scent Guerlain has done in the last 15 years. I didn't like Idylle, and LPRN has been done to death. This is a beautiful amber scent, very powdery, slightly floral, very inviting. Love it!

To Read all 204 Reviews, Login or Join

If you like gourmand fragrances that are softly sweet and not cloying, and still manage to be sophisticated, then this one is worth checking out. I first became familiar with L'Instant in the form of the Secret Touch parfum gel, which is a delightful scent with a ridiculous name. It comes in a ceramic bottle shaped like a child's spinning top, and has a brush to apply the elixir. Gorgeous honeyed vanilla with a touch of musk. Starts out wonderful and morphs into a delicious skin scent. I then tried desperately to find the Guerlain L'Instant Magic elixir, which came in a fabulous black bottle, but this one has been sadly discontinued. So I settled on trying the L'Instant in edp form, and I am not disappointed. Beautifully feminine, slightly sweet, and lovely sillage. I definitely think this is a cool weather scent, one that goes with cashmere and nights by a fire. Lovely and perfect, like so many of the Guerlains are. They really do know their scents!

on 3/25/2015 9:38:00 AM

This is so soothing, calming, classy, noble, that its hard to stay without it once you tried it on a few times.
I believe it to be very good quality and quite innovative in the sweet/ flowery kind. I dont know any perfume that resembles it so I think its quite unique.
I just think it has poor fixation on my skin, though a very good one on my clothes.
I believe it to be another success and score for Guerlain, that seems to be unable to create something unperfect.
Congratulations my sweet Guerlain you won me over AGAIN.

on 7/24/2014 8:31:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

Beautiful, feminine, excellent scent. This is what perfume should smell like. The best part about it; it just keeps on changing throughout the day wowing you and by evening it's at it's best, teasing my nose. Excellent scent and this is the Edt version.

on 7/11/2014 5:39:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

L'Instant reminds of 24 Faubourg by Hermes in its golden plushness and symphonic synthetic-ness. It is a dense and almost syrupy combination of honeyed florals and vanilla which is interrupted by a faintly astringent Chinese magnolia accord. Not my kind of scent.

on 3/20/2014 2:12:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is one of my all time favorite perfumes. It is so warm and romantic. Not overpowering at all. Just yummy and sexy. It's very hard to find. Thank goodness Sephora carries it online. It's expensive but worth it. It lasts and it comes in a simple but beautiful heavy glass bottle. I hope this is never discontinued.

on 8/8/2013 9:53:00 PM

This is a really pretty, powdery vanilla floral on me. Like others reviewing here it's easy on the nose & would not offend but I also didn't find that it stopped me in my tracks or that it was love at first sniff. On me it smelled similar to Frederic Malle lipstick rose EDP.

on 4/2/2013 7:01:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I love Guerlain fragrances - that heavy, old-fashioned vanilla powder just does it for me. My most beloved is L'Heure Bleue. Unfortunately, my husband feels the opposite - he loathes the very same powdery note that I adore. So this scent is my compromise. It is very definitely Guerlain, with that trademark musky vanilla powder. But it's a lot more subtle. Guerlain-lite, if you will. I am not overly keen on the initial fragrance, which has a fresh, watery, shampoo-like note. But that fades within minutes to a beautiful, soft, slightly floral powdery honey - and let's face it, it's the drydown you live with for most of the day, so I'm happy with that. Nobody has ever commented on this fragrance and that's because it's not in-your-face, I think - but it's warm, comforting and pretty. A great everyday Guerlain fix.

on 1/12/2013 3:47:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I have many perfumes, this is the only one my husband actually likes.... Luckily I buy and wear them for my self but this one I can wear for both of us:)
I usually don't like vanilla/honey/gourmand type perfumes but this is not cloying or sickly sweet.
This is love in a bottle for me. It is a warm cloud of calm and serenity. It is also totally different to any other frag I have come across.
Though I do concur with others that this is best used with discretion. It is strong in the EDP and the sillage is quite powerful.Also be careful in hot weather. Yesterday I was wearing this and the temp was nudging 40*C (hot!!!) and it was too much.
BTW the atomizer/spray is the best I have used.

Popular Fragrances