Peter Thomas Roth AHA/BHA Acne Clearing Gel

Peter Thomas Roth AHA/BHA Acne Clearing Gel

3.7

Active Ingredient: Salicylic Acid 2.00%, Inactive Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Alcohol Denat., Glycolic Acid, Glycerin, Arginine, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Ammonium Hydroxide, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben 6/11/09

on 1/14/2017 8:40:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This is top notch for acne prevention. But I can't lie: Most should expect to have a period of more breakouts emerging (purging) as a result of starting this before they will see clearer skin. I certainly have. It's taken about six weeks of regular use to finally see results, which I'm okay with given the generous amount of product you get despite it being fairly expensive.

It seems to work best for me if I use it once a day or every other day. More frequent use and overuse at each application was too much for my sensitive skin.

I have normal, acne prone, sensitive skin, and I'm a 39-year-old fair complected Caucasian.

This didn't cause me to breakout further which was the reason I bought it. But boy did it dry the crap out of my face so bad that it was flaking off, disgusting. For $54 that's not worth it for me constantly be peeling my flaky skin off. Too bad, it's going back.

on 5/4/2016 11:34:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I have used this off and on for 15 to 20 years. I keep going back to it for several reasons. First, this is for enlarged pores, and congested pores. If you have inflamed acne, think this is too strong for you. It is sticky, but a little goes a long way-and this will last you a really really long time if used every other day. Second- Once it dries down, it gives a nice tightening effect. I think people tend to over- apply it, because if you apply a really thin layer under your moisturizer before bed I find that works the best. The reason I keep going back as well is that if you use it consistently, it works.

Very good for blackheads and for exfoliation.

on 1/1/2016 2:14:00 AM

I was waking up every day with 8-15 new juicy zits on my chin. And 2-3 between my eyebrows that wouldn't die. I'd pop them all and go crazy with concealer but before the day was over I'd feel the familiar hot pain of new ones emerging. I'm 37 years old so it's not teenage acne and it wasn't just 1 week out of the month. I was pissed and getting depressed. I mean my face looked like a warty frog's skin. In desperation I came to mua and found this. $50 for acne gel? Who the hell cares? I'm about to bankrupt myself on concealer. Within 2 days of using this gel and the acne wash, I got 0 new zits. It's not a fluke, I've been using this for about a month and have gotten no new zits *except* for the couple nights I forgot, and then I got new zits, but not 8-15. Once I went back on, no new zits again the next morning. Proof right there that it works. I want to kiss Peter Thomas Roth.

I've been using this for months whenever a blemish pops up, but it doesn't help it at all or make it go away quicker. Super disappointing and waste of money.

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

This stuff is great. On my second bottle but it lasts a really long time. I had horrible blackheads on my nose and cheeks and they are all gone. I did purge when I first started using this but it literally cleared up within a few days, nothing bad at all. Highly recommend.

on 2/7/2015 12:24:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Once again didnt treat my acne

on 12/8/2014 9:10:00 PM

I have always had really sensitive skin and got some bad breakouts earlier in my teen years (I am almost 20 now). I went to see a dermatologist when I was 17 and he prescribed some treatments that worked wonders and I still use daily resulting in really pretty, clear skin.

Over the summer I went to Germany for an internship for 3.5 weeks but I forgot to pack my skincare products other than a tube of Neutrogena 2% salicylic gel. I looked in all sorts of drug stores but couldn't find anything with the same ingredients. My skin was fine at first and looked normal but around week 2 I started to break out really bad. It was a kind of breakout I'd never had before. Before I went to the dermatologist, I had a few big zits on my forehead but this breakout consisted of TONS of small, skin-colored zits. They did not respond to the salicylic acid and continued to multiply. By the time I came home my skin was a wreck.

My mom found this product and I began using it twice a day. My skin is really sensitive and stings or dries out easily but this did not cause any problems. I used it in conjunction with my other skincare products and occasionally used it three times a day with no irritation. You need to be really patient because it does not start doing anything for a week or two, but all the zits eventually began to come to the top. That was of course really frustrating because my skin was full of noticeable zits instead of the small bumps, but in order for the bumps to go away, they needed to rise to the surface. Make sure you don't pop them unless you're absolutely sure you can get the white stuff out. I used an extraction tool and was able to find 5-6 zits that were ready to pop each night. This lasted all summer and into the school year - probably a total of 2 months or so - but they were finally gone and I have my great skin back.

Hopefully I won't have another problem like this in the future, but if I did this would definitely be my go-to product.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

At first I didn't think I would like this but I was proven wrong! This has become my HG acne treatment and I can't be without it. My skin has been breaking out a bit and this has kept it from getting super bad. I use this at night and I don't need more than a pump and a half to cover my whole face. On weekends I use this morning and night and it hasn't dried me out either.
The price is kind of high on this product but it has lasted me for so long. I think I've had this bottle for about 5-6 months now and I just got my 2nd bottle of it. I wish the bottle was more see through so I could see how much product I have left but whatever.
A couple days ago I tried out another product that had the same idea as this PTR product and I broke out like crazy! I haven't had acne that bad of acne since before I started using the PTR product so I went right back. Ever since I went back to PTR, my skin has cleared up so much. Not only does this product work on active acne but I have seen some of my acne scars lighten up as well since using this. It does burn a tad when you apply it especially after exfoliating but it passes quickly. I will keep buying this product and I would recommend it to my friends with acne as well!