Alpha Hydrox 10% AHA Gel

Alpha Hydrox 10% AHA Gel

Water, Glycolic Acid, Ammonium Hydroxide, Sodium Lactate, Green Tea Extract, Sea Kelp Extract, Panthenol, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, PVM/MA Decadiene Crosspolymer

on 11/28/2015 2:57:00 PM

This glycolic AHA gel is just a tad too drying and harsh for my combo-oily skin. On the plus side, it absorbs right away and leaves no sticky feeling. Also, it does an excellent job of fading my post-acne dark spots. It works VERY quickly in doing that.

But it makes my skin feel slightly irritated and extremely dry. Also, I find that my skin starts to look dull and lifeless the longer I use this product. No brightness or glow whatsoever.

I don't like it and I wouldn't buy it again.

on 11/25/2015 10:53:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I don't very often review something that everyone else seems to love....and I hate. Or, maybe "hate" isn't the word....my skin can't tolerate it is an accurate statement. I bought this 2 weeks ago at Ulta. First of all, it is an extremely watery product and I'm not quite sure why they felt the need to put it in a tube. A pump bottle would work fine for this and allow less waste. I'd done a little internet research on glycolics AFTER I bought and started using this which is my bad....should have looked online first. Apparently, some people have to work up to 10% glycolic. I just jumped in and by the time I looked online, the damage had been done. My skin broke out with more pimples than I've seen since I was 17....and I'm 55 now, so that's a damn long time. I scaled back on usage, but it didn't make any difference. And I'm not talking just a random pimple here and there....they seemed to cluster on my cheeks and my forehead. I read online that the skin has to "purge" and I assume that's what my skin was doing. But, I couldn't stand it it any longer....after 2 weeks of zits, I couldn't do it anymore! My skin looked like crap!!! As soon as I stopped using this the other day, my skin calmed down. I still have residual red spots from healing pimples, but those should clear up within a week. I'm happy that this works so well for so many, but I just did not like this at all and I've thrown the tube in the trash. Will never buy this, or any glycolic product again. :-(

To Read all 219 Reviews, Login or Join

on 10/11/2015 12:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

An oldie but a goodie. Have repurchased many times over the years.

on 11/12/2014 9:03:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure

I use this every night (not at first) and love the results. I get compliments on my complexion now. It is a rarity if I get the hormonal acne I used to get and if a zit pops up this gel dries it up ASAP. I do use a moisturizer on top of it. Great stuff!

on 5/3/2014 9:33:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Awful for MY skin
It didnt burn, I liked the gex texture..though tube is awful...liquid pores out (lots of waste)
After 2 days my skin was covered it nasty blackheads...literally gunk was coming out of my pores
I dont know if this was a purge stage but it was NASTY...pores/skin didnt look this bad to start
as soon as I stopped pores cleared up
Not worth continuing

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I was originally after the gel when I first purchased the souffle, Ulta (the only place I can find the extended line of Alpha Hydrox products) was out of the gel so I purchased the souffle and ended up falling in love. I used my tube up and went back to Ulta to repurchase and saw that they had the gel back in stock. I debated if I should try it after loving the souffle so much but since it was a couple of bucks cheaper figured what the heck.

Long story short, every formulation of the Alpha Hydrox products do not perform equally on my skin.

The gel is very light and more liquidy than gel. It absorbs super fast. Unlike the souffle which has been brilliant for my skin, I started to see clogged pores and rougher texture reappear while using this product. I started getting weird random breakouts and redness begin cropping up in places that had previously been soothed. I was completely unhappy with the results of this product, so much so that Sunday I woke up and and decided I must get myself to Ulta ASAP and pray they had some souffle left. I just couldn't deal with the gel any longer.

I've decided to try the remainder the gel on my neck/chest area to see how it performs there and hopefully it doesn't cause breakouts there. If so I guess I'll use it on my feet or something *heh*

Kind of an update: I ended up trying this on my neck/chest area to try to use some of the product so it wasn't a complete waste. Although it did make the skin there awesomely soft guess what? Breakouts/clogged pores! I guess the remainder is going to my elbows and feet or something.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I use this as a way to freshen and brighten my skin as well as fight against pre-mature aging.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I am another, apparently rare, casualty to the carrageenen in this. Had I known it contained it, I wouldn't have bought it. I was so excited to try this, and my skin was in a fairly desperate state at that time. As a reference, I have extremely oily, reactive, acneic skin. Very prone to congestion due to the oil production. I ordered the oil free gel and the souffle off amazon, and for the last few months I have been using just the gel. I can't lie to myself anymore - my skin's texture is absolutely atrocious, the breakouts are worse than ever - its totally exacerbated by this product. I don't typically get deep down pustules, my acne has always consisted of red lumps, but since consistently using this I have pustules and fluid filled spots every morning upon waking and checking the mirror. My face is a wreck, and its definitely not a purging phase. No sign of it being an allergic reaction either, it is just clogging my pores. Not sure what to do now about the souffle which is still unopened in my drawyer! I've caved and am going back to a derm to request roaccutane, after 14 years handling my acne this has taken it to a whole new, unmanageable level. Be careful.
2 stars because its cheap and has an impressively high % of AHA. If your skin isn't wrecked by it, it will most likely be your HG.

on 2/18/2014 10:03:00 PM

I feel the need to write my first review here after all of good advice I got from you. I used to get lots of compliments for my very fair and smooth skin with almost no acnes ever. But after graduating, I was warned about preventing wrinkle as soon as possible at 20s, so I decided to pick this product after reading so many good reviews. When I used my first AHA tube, it was kind of HG as it quickly made some dark spots fade away and my face got even brighter. So I kept on using a second tube consecutively at nights for several months, not to mention another jar of Alpha Hydrox AHA Souffle 12% Glycolic AHA before that (so it means nearly a year in total). And now, after years, when looking at my sensitive face with lots of pimples and spots, I regret how foolish I was. I was so charmed by the anti-wrinkle and skin clearing benefit that the product stated that I forgot AHA at the same time made our skin thinner in order to remove dead cells. Of course I know the problem here may not be the product itself but the way I used it. So I just hope you will treat your skin with deeper researches before applying anything, especially for a long time.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This product makes my skin glow. Every time I use it I get compliments on my skin the very next day. It doesn't sting/burn when applied (unless you have broken/exposed skin. ie; popped zit) & it helps to make my overall skin tone more even and texture more smooth. A great product if you are looking for a gentle yet effective chemical exfoliator.