REVLON Moon Drops Lipstick - Orange Flip

REVLON Moon Drops Lipstick - Orange Flip
Revlon Orange Flip LipstickRevlon Moon DropsRevlon's Moon Drops Lipstick in Orange Flip

4.5

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This spring, orange is the new red. Actually, I think it's better than red: playfully seductive, flattering, and it doesn't take itself so seriously. And, as Frank Sinatra said, "Orange is the happiest color" (orange was the Chairman's favorite).

I have worn Revlon's Orange Flip off and on since the late 1970s. I had to grow into it. Once each decade, I'd experiment with it, always drawn to the color (and the fun name) -- the insouciance of it, the panache of it, the retro joie de vivre of it. Orange says, "I love color" like nothing else. And I do.

This spring of the Orange Lip, with me being (finally) confident enough to "own" an orange lip, Orange Flip and I are star crossed. I am absolutely loving this classic Revlon beauty and its classic Revlon packaging and its reasonable Revlon price.

BTW, I cannot -- but cannot -- wear red. Lord knows I've tried... and makeup artists galaxywide agree with me (embarrassing moments those were). But for some lovely reason, this bright, comely Orange Flip suits my pale skin to perfection.

A bit of Revlon history: Revlon started out as a nail polish company in 1932, adding lipsticks in 1940. I read a 2011 post on another site that stated the poster's 88-year-old mother had worn Orange Flip since the age of 18... which would make delicious Orange Flip one of the original Revlon colors. This fits: Orange was indeed a popular lip color for both day and evening in the '40s (think of the song, "Tangerine," from that time).

Take a walk on the wild side... you may just love it! Top it with a pale pink gloss for extra verve if the velvety matte look takes some easing into.

on 10/15/2006 9:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Revlon Orange Flip l/s is an old favorite since about 20 years. I've
repurchased many times. It's great against golden tanned skin in summer,
especially with white cotton clothes. If you do the 4 seasons color typing,
Orange Flip is a MUST for the autumn coloring's core repertoire, along with
Revlon's Sandalwood Beige, Toast of NY, Bali Brown, Coffee Bean, Cocoa Bean,
Amber Ablaze, Chocolate Velvet.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

This lipstick is more than a lipstick to me. It's pure nostalgia. My grandmother used to wear this exact shade of lipstick. It was literally all she wore. Not only is it special for that reason, but it is just beautiful. Very vibrant, fun, and flattering on my warm, fair skin. I will always have this in my arsenal!

Here in Australia, this lipstick comes in a beautiful old fashioned gold tube. The lipstick smells vaguely of violets, which is really nice in an old-fashioned sort of way; the smell and packaging remind me of the type of make-up my mother used to wear in the early 1980s. This is really beautiful packaging for something you can buy at the drug store, I really like the packaging. In Australia, this lipstick costs around $25, but that is still $10 less than a MAC lipstick here (we get robbed here, everything is so expensive for no reason -- actually, it's because of the stupid import tax, which also raises the price of locally made cosmetics because of competition).

Now on to the lipstick itself. The colour is pretty much a dead ringer for MAC "Morange". But the wear of the lipstick is longer -- it leaves a stain when it wears off -- the texture is creamier, and the sharp slanted shape of the lipstick in the tube is useful for lining your lips. I have almost no complaints about this beautiful, fiercely bright, extremely pigmented, orange-red. It fulfills all of my retro quirks when I'm feeling retro quirky.

The only problem with "Orange Flip" is that I'm Asian and when I get tanned, I tan orange and then turn brown and then peel... well not really brown, more like the colour of woodland mushrooms. This basically means that in the dead of winter, my skin is very pale with a slight green undertone. Now that I've made myself sound like some sort of space creature, what I'm trying to say is that I have an olive undertone that (most of the time) leans towards the cool side of the skin colour spectrum. "Orange Flip" makes me look really, really green. I have to wear this lipstick with quite a bit of make up in order to make it work. It's not like NARS "All Night Long", a purpley-rose gloss, that I can simply throw on with no concealor or blush and waltz out the door in the morning.

"Orange Flip" is a fussy colour, so if you're olive-skinned, you might want to see if you can pick it up when you have cupons so that you don't spend too much money. This tube of lipstick will probably last me a long time because I'm not going to use it often. But I will be eagerly investigating other lipsticks in this line.

I was stuck on Revlon Fire and Ice for a long time and needed a break so I switched to Sandalwood Beige and I thought well that's sort of orange maybe I'll try Orange Flip again. I love it. I now think this is my most flattering color and I get more complements even from my doctor. It's real bright orangey red and it always made me think of the roof of a Howard Johnson's but it works. It makes my eyes look really blue and my fair skin look healthy so blondes can wear this shade. It's retro and artsy and way more casual than red. I really like the creamy formula. The perfumey flavor can be exhausting but you get used to it. I've settled on this being my shade just like my mother in law although I never liked it on her. To bad moondrops has been discontinued. I have to order it on line now.

on 6/20/2012 10:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

UPDATE: Wet 'n Wild Purty Persimmon is a more pigmented matte dupe of this, I've already swatched them on my hand and lips. Sorry for no pics, but take my word on it.

I look so bright and happy with this lipstick, so much better than any red I've tried. This is the 'red lip' effect/look I've always wanted to be able to pull off, even if it's from an orange. Red looks so clownish and is hard for me to pull off unless it's very sheer. I guess I've always wanted orange lips then, lol. For color combinations, I pair this with Wet N Wild Brulee, a matte brown crease shade, and light peach-coral blush :) Easy and trust me, you will just look so happy and radiant.

on 3/2/2012 4:18:00 AM

This lipstick is SUCH a classic. The color is oddly flattering, although you are truly getting ORANGE. Not red-orange, or coral, or pinkish-orange. Nope, it's orange! I love it. I love the smell of these lipsticks, the packaging, everything. They've been around forever, and I remember my great-grandmother wearing them, although her favorite shade was a frosty pink color. My aunt, on the other hand, rocked this color for decades, apparently, and I remember being very young and watching her apply it. She looked amazing in it with her bright blue eyes that became brighter as soon as she put this on, and it made her skin look like porcelain. I have a different skin-tone but I like to think I look as nice as she did! It seems to bring out the green in my eyes and shows off the warmth of my coloring. I think of my aunt and grandma every time I put this on and it makes me smile, something about the smell just brings back so much nostalgia for me.

on 4/11/2011 10:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

After reading several online reviews, I was expecting this lipstick to be, if not a true orange, then at least orange-ish on my lips. Instead, it's a deep coral (though my lips may just be unusually pink). Regardless, this is a beautiful lipstick that I anticipate wearing often. Red lipstick strikes me as a little harsh or costumey for everyday wear, but Orange Flip is a beautifully wearable almost-red - a nice blend of red, orange, and pink.

on 8/23/2003 5:11:00 PM

At $7.75 a pop, Revlon lipsticks are quite higher end on the drugstore food chain. Hence, I have dubbed Revlon "the MAC of the drugstore" ... But beyond that, this lipstick is a fun, fabulous blast from the past. A red-tinged orange creme lipstick in that signature green and gold tube. Very 1950s (this shade was first introduced then, wasn't it?). Great for anyone into that retro look. Especially wonderful on light skintones, however this orange can totally work on darker skintones. Very mod! Revlon lipsticks definitely are a best kept secret.

on 3/12/2013 10:48:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Orange Flip is a color my Mom has been wearing since the 80's but I never really experimented with it myself until recently because I wasn't sure if I could pull it off the way she can....I gotta say I absolutely loved it!!!! If you are looking for a bright orange-red lip color look no further!!!! The color is to die for (which I already knew) but it's also very wearable even if you think you can't do orangey reds...the formulation is creamy and lasts all day!!! The color really brings your face to life and brightens you up!!! I gotta hand it to Mom on this one....she knows what's up!!!!