Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash with Organic Tea Tree Oil and Awapuhi

Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash with Organic Tea Tree Oil and Awapuhi
Thoroughly Clean Face Wash with Organic Tea Tree Oil and Awapuhi

3.6

Not tested on animals

Castile Soap (Water (Aqua), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Tall Oil, Potassium Hydroxide), Glycerin, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil*, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Hydrastis Canadensis (Goldenseal) Root Extract, Hedychium Coronarium Root Extract (Awapuhi), Fucus Vesiculosus Extract (Bladderwrack), Cymbopogon Martini Oil (Palmarosa), Citrus Aurantium Amara (Bitter Orange) Peel Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Oil, Calendula Officinalis Flower Oil, Callitris Intratropica Wood Oil (Blue Cypress) *Eco-Harvest®

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I used it in 2014 with success but the skin changes you know?

I used this August 2016 and I thought it was doing good until I cut it out and realized it was WAAAY TOO stripping of my oils. I literally ended up with dry skin and on top of that, used drying acne products. This face wash has a pH level of like 8, which is high as heck. If you do research, you have to find products that have a good pH level (around 5.5-6)

It helped kill pimple at first but knowing that it eats all the oils from your face, you end up with a vulnerable acid mantle aka moisture barrier on the skin and end up with more bacteria entering the skin, thus causing more acne

I liked this product at first because it made my combination/oily skin less oily. However, I realized that this broke me out literally the day after and was clogging up my pores, enlarging blackheads. This face wash definitely did not work for me, even though it took a while for me to realize that it was this that was breaking me out.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

THIS CLEANSER IS MUCH BETTER THAN ANY BENZYL PEROXIDE CLEANSERS, FOR MY SENSITIVE, COMBINATION, ACNE-PRONE, LATE THIRTIES-AGED SKIN TYPE. I USE IT THREE TIMES PER DAY, EVERYDAY. I LIKE THE BIG, ECONOMY-SIZED BOTTLES, AND THINK IT BEST TO ALWAYS HAVE TWO BIG ONES: ONE FOR THE SHOWER, AND ONE AT THE BATHROOM SINK. I USE A MONTHLY, BETA-ALPHA FACIAL PEEL TREATMENT, WITH THIS GENTLE CLEANSER: SKIN LABORATORY 20% SALICYLIC ACID FACIAL GEL PEEL, AND THEN, ALBA'S ALPHA HYDROXY MINI PEEL EVERY FOUR WEEKS. ALSO, I COMBINED THIS SKIN CARE REGIMEN WITH ACNE FREE SEVERE'S 10% BENZYL PEROXIDE MOISTURIZER. I ALSO USE A DAILY, EXFOLIATING, MUD MASK WITH SKIN LABORATORY PEEL, FOR REDUCING HYPERPIGMENTATION MARKS FROM PREVIOUS BREAKOUTS, WHICH I BLENDED WITH PRINCESS MARCELLA BORGHESE'S MUD MASK.

Too drying, leaves a film and broke me out. Bummer.

I was really excited to try this product along with Thursday Plantation Tea Tree Cream. I have combination skin, and I was experiencing a lot of breakouts. This cleanser did nothing for my skin but make it produce more oil while somehow also being too dry. It also makes my pores look huge and clogged and I have blackheads I've never noticed before on the corners of my nose :(

So sad this didn't work for me.

For about two years I have been struggling with moderate acne. I have tried everything from medication to topical treatments to about every face wash claiming to fight acne. None of them have me the results I wanted until this. SERIOUSLY AMAZING!! I use this face wash with the tea tree ointment because I felt it is a bit dry without it. And let me tell you that ointment is amazing too. It clears up my acne scars like nothing else and moisturizes too. The ointment is obviously going to be kind of like greasy in a way so you should apply it at night. But I defin recommend this and the ointment so it doesn't dry your face out. Overall an amazing product!😄

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

HG for me! Definitely drying in full liquid form, but if you buy a foam pump and put it in that it works great and the product lasts so much longer. Gets off ALL of my makeup, even waterproof mascara & liner! Has completely helped me get rid of adult cystic acne and I would be lost without this stuff. Started with TJ's version of this, but they were always out of stock and my local stores started selling the DE brand so I buy this instead. I use twice a day and have for 2 years and it keeps the oil and acne at bay.

on 10/9/2014 11:58:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I can't believe I just found this cleanser.. I've never had a facewash that worked for me without drying my skin out or causing breakouts. This face wash is amazing- I've been using it for a month and my skin has never been clearer. Not only that but it feels smoother, my pores are smaller, and it seems like my skin is more alive. No added chemical junk to my skin. It can tend to be drying so I usually use rosewater toner after and a light moisturizer. I've completely switched to all natural and oil based products because of this cleanser and my skin is literally glowing.

on 10/6/2014 12:28:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've been using this cleanser for over a year now. It is the only product I've found that, when used consistently every day, keeps my skin mostly-clear of acne. (My skin has not, since I was a teen, been completely-clear, but mostly-clear beats not-really-clear by a country mile and I'm very happy about this.) I use it in combination with either straight shea butter or Retin-A on my face every night, and my skin is clearer than it's been in decades. I first picked up a small bottle from a health food store, and loved it so much that I re-purchased the large bottle from Amazon. It has lasted me for ages, and is incredibly cheap. And, weird perhaps, but I love the smell of tea tree oil. I see no reason to not keep using this cleanser forever.

on 7/7/2014 7:21:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Years ago when I was very young and a newlywed my lovely husband and I adored this face wash. We stumbled across it one day in the drugstore or perhaps the grocery store. We raved about the scent and we bought a bottle for the shower and sink each.youth can be reckless as we were and this being Castile soap, one needs to take care and use a lot of water...we did not. In fact we washed our faces three or four times a day because we loved the smell so much and the squeaky clean feeling. And naturally it caused really bad breakouts. It caused breakouts because we didn't know how to use it. Castile soap is for the seriously responsible. I was way too lazy to dilute it properly.
I purchased this face wash only a couple of days ago. I was hesitant, the pH is on the alkaline side. There's a lot of strange ingredients like "tall oil" and if you Google it you'll understand my trepidation.
a word of warning: the pump gets clogged very easily. Once, years ago, I went to pump some product in my hand. The liquid bounced off my palm and directly into my eye. My husband wasn't around and I was alone, I spent a 40 minutes crying and rolling around on the floor in agony. Do not get it near your eyes.
Back to just recently. I started using this again because I have been using products for sensitive and dry skin. I'm very confused about what type of skin I have now I'm in my late 30s and a lot of the things that happen to my skin are hormone and allergy based. A lot of gentle cleansers while being devoid of parabens, are full of formaldehyde releasing ingredients/preservatives.
I couldn't understand while my face wasn't full of acne or anything like that, it still didn't seem to feel right, it was dry AND oily, or dry and rubbery... it was didn't feel like my skin. To further add to my confusion I was using products that were considered "gentle" and "sensitive".
So when I cracked this bottle of face wash open inhaled the lovely sent it took me back to years past of youth and love...I felt bolstered. I thought "maybe this is it" and pumped a tiny amount into my hand with lots of water lathered rinsed and waited.
So far I have not experienced dryness, although I've been very careful with dilution and usage; meaning it will use it twice a day. In four weeks time I will post an update to tell you what I think this face wash today, 20 years later.
***UPDATE*** It goes to prove, at least to myself, how much one changes physically. I tried to use this for a week. It was *so drying* the wings of my nostrils were peeing and red-like what happens when you've got a cold and you're blowing your nose too much. My skin began to bust out in big painful pimples, because it's too alkaline. Seems to suit my fella better, so I gave it to him. Men have a slightly higher skin pH than women. Interesting huh?