Stila Sheer Color Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15 [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by skin tone : Olive
Stila Sheer Color Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15 [DISCONTINUED]

2.4

Titanium Dioxide 5.0%, Zinc Oxide 5.0%. Inactive Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Cyclopentasiloxane, Propylene Glycol, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone, Dimethicone, Cyclohexasiloxane, Phytantriol, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Tocopherol, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Aluminum Hydroxide, Stearic Acid, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Boron Nitride, Glycerin, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Palmitic Acid, Dextrin Palmitate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Butylene Glycol, Panax Ginseng (Ginseng) Root Extract, Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract, Anthemis Nobilis (Chamomile) Flower Extract, Camellia Oleifera (Camelia Oleifera) Leaf Extract, Magnesium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, Zinc Chloride, Lysine, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, May Contain ( /-) Mica, Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891), Iron Oxides (Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499)

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I got this in the hope it would be nice for summer however I really don't like it. I know tinted moisturisers don't offer a lot of coverage but this one really is as it says, sheer! It had a nice cooling effect when I applied it but it basically went on like a layer of grease and sat on my skin. In the space of an hour or so it was a hot mess - all the colour seemed to just go to certain parts of my face. The packaging is nice, it feels sturdy and you can control how much product you get. The price was okay for me because I got it at a discounted price but I'd never pay full price for this! Personally I wouldn't buy this again. I'm not sure how much those with dry skin would like it either.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I loved this tinted moisturizer at first and gave it a rave review. I'm taking it all back. Made my skin the worst I had ever seen it. Some of the active ingridients in this formula clogged my pores, broke me out and sent my sebaceous glands into a craze.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

This product comes on thick for a tinted moisturizer! It was rather heavy, so I guess if you are looking for more coverage this is the way to go. But I need something light and well to work as a tinted moisturizer, light coverage and this was not it. The packaging is also horrible, the bottle/tube is incredibly hard to squeeze when trying to get the product out at the end.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Way to hard to spread on your face!!!! I have to put moisturizer on before it so I can put it on! It's supposed to be moisturizer not Foundation. Also, color looks fine plain but when I put powder on top it makes my makeup turn out too dark!

SO..... If you want tinted Moisturizer- It sucks

But

If you want a nice light foundation- It's awesome

I have oily skin so I didn't like this product at all. When I put it on it made me look shiny right away (some might call this the "dewy" look but I like looking matte). It's really sheer so it barely covered anything, not even basic red spotches that I had around my nose area. This product isn't oil free. I'll need to keep looking for my perfect tinted moisturizer...

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I got a sample of this stuff at Sephora and I ran out and bought one the next day. I loved that it felt so light compared to foundation and gave me a healthy glow. Unfortunately I must be allergic to this stuff because I also broke out in tiny bumps all over my chin area and stung a little bit too. It was horrible!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

Love for Stila's Sheer Color Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15 prompted me to write my first ever MUA review.

I sort of understand the negatives listed in other reviews, but I honestly think there is a bit of a learning curve with this product. It is my HG tinted moisturizer - maybe even my HG face product - and I've tried a lot, including Benefit and Prescriptives' Traceless. And while I'm loyal to MAC for full-on foundation, for everyday use, there is nothing better than this Stila TM.

For me, it has a slight mattifying effect (which I like), but makes it a bit drying to be used solo. I layer it over a moisturizer or antioxidant serum, depending on the season and my skin's condition, and I haven't any problems with breakouts. It's also fragrance free, which is key, although for some reason they don't advertise this point. Unlike Laura Mercier and most other brands, this has full-spectrum SPF. The sunscreen in the Stila TM is part avobenzone (UVA), which is much more important to me than netting a higher SPF that doesn't block the cancer causing rays (note: this is not a photostable sunscreen - see update at the end of this review).

It IS a bit thicker and more difficult to spread than most lotions, but once you get the hang of it, it's fine, even preferable, since the consistency lends itself to better coverage.

That being said, it's no foundation, but it evens out my skin tone and covers minor blemishes and undereye circles, which I think is all you can ask of a TM. It's never cakey nor greasy, and I've not had a problem with it running into my eyes or transferring onto clothes (onto towels is another story, but get yourself a good facewash and you'll be in the clear). I've been complimented on my skin (not makeup) numerous times when all I was wearing was this. It's strange - there is a noticeable difference in my complexion when I use my Stila, but it's so natural that no one knows I have anything on. I've even turned several friends onto this, one of whom lives in Canada and stocks up when she visits the US.

I used Medium until the wider color selection was released, so now I wear Tone, but I can switch between them without much difference, which I feel is a testament to how well the product blends. I even borrowed a friend's too-light-for-me Bare and it was passable.

The packaging is recyclable and opaque, which prevents deterioration, and the small tip only dispenses the right amount of product without allowing too much air in to contaminate the rest. The cap screws on tightly so I don't worry about the TM leaking in my bag or exploding on a plane, and I've traveled the world with this.

The one drawback for me is price, but since Stila only seems to be available at Sephora these days, I suspect that the price hike (it's been raised in $2 increments at least twice over the last year) has more to do with Sephora's monopoly of the brand, and the fact that it's constantly rated "Best Of Sephora" and featured in their advertising. Plus, the 1.7 oz package seems to last me a good couple months, while is still allowable as a carry-on item, so I'm always willing to suck it up and pay nearly $35 a few times a year.

I realize that I'm starting to sound like I work for Stila, but honestly, if you can adapt to the unexpected qualities (thickness, matte finish), this product is incredible.

UPDATE - 12.15.09: I've been investigating sunscreens lately and have discovered that the avobenzone in this is not photostable, a HUGE disappointment. I may still continue to use this (at night) as foundation because it's such a great product, but I can no longer rely on it for sun production and will not repurchase. HG status sadly revoked.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

i really do not think this product moisturizes that well i have combination skin and in the places that it is dry this product did not make it any better. i do break out sometimes and i feel like this product helped with that. I had talked to the lady in sephora about it and she claimed it would not do that. i was pretty upset to find out that it had. i love the feel of this and to anyone that it does work for lucky you i have tried to use it every so often and it just doesnt work. i love the natural look of it even though it is a little to natural. just dont buy the powdered foundation to put on top of it if you feel you need more coverage. bad idea. I also think stilas colors come in a random variety and none of them really match me i am a little more than medium tan and i am olive so im not really sure. But if you are fair skinned i think stila works great for you.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I am a TM junkiw. I have clear, normal, slightly sensitive skin (NC30), and I was not exactly won over by this. As I said I have normal skin - rarely do I get oily; however, by the end of the day, my face was shiny - shiny enough for people to notice, though perhaps they noticed because my skin doesn't get that shiny too often. As well, it brought about a mild rash. Anyhow, I'm sure it works for some - but for some stange reason, not for me

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

People rave about this stuff, saying it gives your skin a wonderful glow or whatever. It's okay. The coverage is decent for a tinted moisturiser, and they get brownie points for having a pale yellow/olive tone, but...the consistency is kind of like glue. I put some on my face and it's practically a workout to rub it in. Then, I have to put powder on anyway because it makes my nose and chin look like light bulbs, thus making the point of a tinted moisturiser (ease of use) null. Overall, I'd say it's a mediocre product. I'd buy it again if it were 12 or 15 dollars, but 28 feels kind of like a waste.

It also randomly gives me a rash sometimes, so if I use it it's very hit or miss. There are better products out there, in my opinion.