Elizabeth Arden Sunflowers

Elizabeth Arden Sunflowers

3.0

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I like this fragrance but I have to be very careful with it. I can only spray the smallest amount on my wrist in a non-enclosed area and that seems to be more than plenty for the day. I actually wish it came in a dabber not a spray. Even one spray is so strong it can give me a headache quickly. I could never spray this fragrance on my neck or chest or anywhere near my face.

All that being said you may wonder why I'm giving this fragrance a high rating. The top notes are definitely sharp, aquatic, citrusy and clean - all headache material for me. But this scent is all about the dry down. Once those initial top notes wear off this scent is so warm, waxy, golden yellow and sweet but not in a sugary way. I've never actually gotten any fragrance from a real sunflower but if they were to have one this is how I would imagine it. This scent makes me think of those Autumn days where the sky is clear blue, the air is crisp and the sunshine is golden and warm. I love the smooth bottle; I love the color of the liquid, and love how this fragrance is so sunny and cheerful.

It will take me so long just to get through this tiny bottle with how little I apply so I don't see myself having a need to repurchase anytime soon. Bath and Body Works released a wild sunflowers scent several years ago which was reminiscent of this fragrance but more on the golden dry down aspect not the screechy aquatic top notes. I think overall if this sent is applied very sparingly it is so enjoyable but with a heavy hand it can be sickening.

on 8/13/2016 3:51:00 PM

This perfume smells so bomb, especially if your just looking for something that smells nice and light. It lasts almost all day long, and it just smells so damn good.

Occasionally, I find myself in a situation where someone around me is wearing a scent that is so awful that I am almost tempted to ask them what it is, just out of curiosity. That's how I would describe Sunflowers. One reviewer mentioned that it actually smelled like sunflowers. I've been around sunflowers and never gotten that impression, however, perhaps if I were in a florist shop that was chock full of only sunflowers, I would agree. Thinking about this fragrance gives me a headache, almost as bad as the headache I get when I think about Red Door, which should have been enough to close the doors on this company. That's all I've got on that one.

on 3/25/2016 5:59:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Heavy. Syrupy. Poor man's Giorgio. (And I don't like Giorgio either, having come up in the 80s when it was, unfortunately, all the rage; yet I would take Giorgio over this if I had to.)

It does, however, smell like sunflowers. A whole, whole, overwhelming WHOLE lot of sunflowers.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Sunflowers has acheived almost cult status, despite being marketed as a daytime scent for the masses and remaining both easily found and modestly priced. Technically classified as a Fruity Floral, to me this is in its own category: a spicy-citrus aquatic over woods. Yes, it is very busy in there...but the notes all come together beautifully. The cyclamen & melon keep things afloat, and the lemon & bergamot assure a brisk freshness, but Sunflowers is certainly not "light" in impression, sillage, or longevity. The spicy rosewood and sandal sit in a waxy base that allows the fresher notes to effuse off the wearer all day. Often customers tell me this is all they have been wearing for many years, given the affordability, longevity, complements, and sense of well-being it creates. Highly recommended for casual and daytime wear, year-round.

on 12/5/2014 5:03:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Oh my gosh! I found this at Marshall's, and it was only $12 for a 3.3 oz bottle. A MUST buy in my book! My grandmother bought this for me as a gift set when it first came out. She asked the lady at the department store what the newest fragrance was for a young lady. And she bought the biggest and the most expensive set of it. I remember feeling so special, regal and like a princess every time I would wear it. I did not know that it was still in existence until I was at Marshall's today, and it brought back such great memories that I had to purchase it. It smells exactly the same! Very floral, very fresh and clean. I am (again) head over heels for it.

Picked up a small spray of this at a discount store. Maybe it has gone bad, but it's really a cheesy, dreadful odor, right out of the bottle, not just with my chemistry. If this is the real thing, then it's an insult to Elizabeth Arden's memory. Test first!! Wish I had....

on 9/17/2014 12:33:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Back in the day (circa 1996 or so) I kinda liked this synthetic-sunny-floral as an inexpensive pick me up. Now I have found things I like better - but this is still a decent summer scent. Sweet & Light and easy for a young gal to wear.

on 5/18/2014 8:40:00 PM

This was my very first fragrance when it was all the rage in 1994. Total nostalgia when I smell it. Very pretty for a young tween or teen, but also a great summer fragrance in general. Forever reminds me of 6th grade sleepovers.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This perfume will always hold a spot in my permanent rotation! It's so sparkly, spazzy, & Sunny.... It's happiness in a bottle, sort of even reminds me of Clinique Happy!! I love this. It's sort of stuck in a 90s decade time warp. If you dug up a time capsule from 1994 you might find a bottle lol. (Just kidding). In all seriousness, this is a perfume I will always keep around & my vain self thinks it smells better on myself than a couple ladies I knew whom wore it, a lot has to do with PH & body chemistry I know. I always enjoy spraying this, it's an instant pick-me-up, it gives me instant energy & positive feelings!! <3

Edit (6/2/15): I am finished w my bottle today & im not replacing it. It got to be kind of nauseating; it is so dang long lasting I was using it as a "base" kind of relatively speaking for other similar perfumes I actually liked but didn't have staying power/Bath&BodyWorks/VS. I don't like this anymore. It gives me a headache & makes me feel nauseous. I feel badly coz I really used to enjoy it. I had my bottle forever maybe the chemistry inside the bottle chemically broke down coz I had it so long. Oh well I am not repurchasing this & I am kinda glad to be rid of it. I don't often toss cosmetics items & this (to me) was kind of expensive so I wanted to at least finish the bottle. Throwing cosmetics away is like putting a $20 bill in ur trash can so I can't bear it unless I either can't return it or its so hideous I can't use it. This was a little of both. I wash my hands of it. :)

Popular Fragrances