Matrix Biolage - normalizing shampoo

3.9

Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Chloride, Cocamide MEA, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance, Benzyl Alcohol, Linoleamidopropyl PG Dimonium Phosphate, Propylene Glycol, Methylparaben, Citric Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Hexyl Cinnamal, Coumarin, Polysorbate 20, Linalool, Butylphenyl Methlyproprional, Hydroxycitronellal, Amyl Cinnamal, Geraniol, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Extract, Gingko Biloba Extract, Pollen Extract, Saponaria Officinalis Extract, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat Germ) Oil, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract, Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Red 4 (CI 14700), Methyl 2 Octynoate

Holy hair, I just tried this for the first time after getting a super chic cut this morning. I feel like I need a cut all the time because my hair grows like a WEED.
This must be THE best shampoo I ever used! Aside from Lush, this cleans so well, creates a spectacular lather, and purifies hair and scalp to the fullest. It doesn't seem watered down; rather, thick with highly effective cleansing properties which generate a clean slate feeling. That's what we all want, right?
I used to think store shampoo was the same and, therefore, never bothered with many salon purchases. Plus honestly, salon stuff is VERY pricey. HOWEVER...this is totally worth the money. I don't need half as much as store shampoo to get clean. I have tried every brand out there and most let me down. I did keep my Suave Pro Body conditioner because I love the beachy fragrance. It actually goes well with this shampoo's cirus/fresh scent.
If you have a favorite store brand, I suggest keeping it but adding Biolage to your rotation. You'll see the difference! You might even convert.
I highly recommend this for all hair types as the brand suggests, even color-treated.
For reference, my hair is shoulder length (little above), black, wavy unless I blow dry it, on the fine side, and has little spiral curls at my neck (mainly when it grows out). That's why I love my hair short. It's now a bob with side part, and a very small side bang flirtatiously lands on the left.
EDIT: I keep hearing about detergents "causing cancer" or other such tragedies. I just don't buy it. Look, detergents clean. The whole "no poo" movement is--pun alert--crappy. Your shampoo and body wash won't kill you. And a stylist once told me hair is the dirtiest part of the body--it collects pollutants and germs. Can you imagine going to the gym or being around sick kids or working in a hospital, but NOT washing up? Sounds insane to me.
Lather and be happy!
EDIT 2: I'm moving to the desert and given the heat index, I think this shampoo is going to become necessary. I'm going from high humidity to low; can't wait to see how my hair reacts. I imagine my waves won't be as manic but I'll need REALLY GOOD CLEANSERS. #hotchildinthedesert

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

this is by far my favourite clarifying shampoo, i dyed my hair and i use this and my scalp is VERY oily i live in singapore and its so humid i CANNOT go one day without washing my hair and this leaves my hair feeling so clean its the bomb dot com. definitely repurchase! and just gives my hair life. <3 LOVE. OBSESSED.

To Read all 109 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I use many different salon quality shampoos. I used this shampoo for a few years when I decided to grow out my highlights and have my natural hair color (for the first time since I was eight). I am quite picky with shampoo and I will NEVER use anything other than salon professional shampoos! I love the smell of the Biolage shampoos and the fact that they lather well. I have a full head of hair and being able to get a head full of suds in the shower is very important to me. My boyfriend has a Beatles haircut and loves this shampoo as well. Your hair feels clean and looks healthy afterwards. I am now using the color care shampoo from the same line because I have recently started getting my hair colored again. If you are on a budget, get it at Ulta when they have sales. Also, if you personally know a cosmetologist who doesn't mind getting you a big one for a fraction of the price when they go shopping for their products/tools...Either way, it is worth it!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This didn't live up to its' name. It's a clarifying shampoo but it didn't clarify my hair/scalp any more than, say, two rounds with any regular shampoo. Wasn't crazy about the smell or the price either.

This has to be the best shampoo I've found for my fine, limp hair. Even though my hair is thick, it lays flatter than a pancake at the first sign of humidity. I don't know how to explain it, but this shampoo somehow gives my hair texture I've never had before. Maybe it just really cleans my scalp of all the oily residue. Those of us with fine hair tend to have a lot of oil. If Bioloage ever discontinues this shampoo, I'll somehow order an entire truck for delivery and when I finally kick the bucket, pass what's leftover to my daughters. Not sure if there's an expiration for shampoo, but I would be willing to rent climate-controlled storage space for years to come if I had to. Maybe I'm taking this to the extreme...

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Every time I try other shampoos, I come running back to this one.

I have very (very!) thick, very coarse hair and an oily, sensitive scalp. Fun! Most shampoos I try either over-moisturize it so it ends up feeling gummy/sticky/unmanageable or they over-clarify it to the point of dryness and frizz. This is the only shampoo I've tried so far that consistently leaves my hair feeling clean, soft, and manageable without irritating my scalp. As long as it keeps doing that, I'll keep buying it.

I liked this at first but then had to stop using it because I had an allergic reaction to it... an itchy rash all along my back and shoulders and wherever else the lather touched. This was the only new product and it stopped when I stopped using this.

It did work fairly well. Better at first but not bad afterward. Did give me more volume and cut the oil. My hair started looking greasy slower than usual at first and I was really excited but then it sort of went back to normal? It's def a harsh shampoo.. you should try the gentle, more moisturizing route first to make sure your scalp isn't overproducing oil due to being stripped. If you're hormonally oily as I suspect I am, this is worth a shot. Perhaps the results will last longer on you than they did me. And hopefully you don't have an allergic reaction like I did.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This shampoo definitely clarifies, however after finding out Matrix is owned by L'Oreal, which animal tests, I have thrown my half-used bottle in the bin. I've gotten this shampoo in my eyes a couple of times over the years, and it burns like you wouldn't believe so I cannot begin to imagine the pain those lab bunnies would have gone through for my vanity.
I've switched to Apple Cider Vinegar which admittedly isn't quite as glamorous, but definitely does the same job, and I'm fairly confident that the loads of SLS in this shampoo cannot be good for my health, short or long-term, so I'm happy to discontinue my use.
If you don't care about the animal testing, I wouldn't recommend using this product more than once every few weeks as it dries out your scalp insanely.

I have super fine hair that gets oily at roots and dry at ends. I shampoo in the morning and by afternoon my hair is flat and greasy. I have tried ALOT of shampoos to dry up the oils and every single one is way too drying. Nothing to use daily. But this one is different. I use it every morning and my hair is oil free ALL DAY! My hair has alot of NATURAL VOLUME because the shampoo clears up all the oil that weighs it down. But just one WARNING: you HAVE to use a QUALITY conditioner with this shampoo! It will dry your ends out if you don't. I use Pureology Hydralight conditioner with it. I only use a small drop of the conditioner (the size of a pea). I blow dry with a round brush (no product) and my fine hair is soft, shiny, and super bouncy all day!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have extremely oily and fine hair (wash in the morning and by the afternoon or evening it's usually oily and limp)

Pros:
- cheap compared to other professional brands
- large bottle
- lathers extremely well
- controls oil and doesn't make my hair feel limp
Cons:
- not scented nicely like I would have hoped!
- can be difficult to find in larger bottles (I usually go to the salon supplies stores to get this)

I've used many other brands and types of stuff including AG, Matrix, Schwarzkopf, Rusk, TIGI, Joico, etc. and have not been satisfied with any of them. Definitely worth trying if you have oily hair!

Popular Shampoos