Kevyn Aucoin The Sensual Skin Enhancer

Kevyn Aucoin The Sensual Skin Enhancer
Color comparison for MAC NC30 / NC35The Sensual Skin Enhancer

4.2

Mineral Oil, Polybutene, Diethylhexyl Succinate, Polyethylene, Quaternium-18 Hectorite, Calcium Carbonate, Dextrin Palmitate, Honey, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopherol, Beeswax, Butylene Glycol, Cholesterol, Lecithin, Talc, Triethylhexanoin, Methylparaben, Fragrance. May Contain ( /-): Iron Oxides (CI 77491), Iron Oxides (CI 77492), Iron Oxides (CI 77499), Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77491).

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

I really wanted this to be a Holy Grail product. Luckily - as I'm not a big user of skin make-up and I wasn't sure about the correct shade for me, I ordered a couple of samples n various shades off CRC ( a great site for this purpose - wish they had more of a sample collection).

It's thick and kinda hard to apply. But worst of all, it doesn't seem to cover these large grey patches I have on the sides of my face. I find that my Bare Minerals serum foundation does a better job of covering spots even though its so thin.

If you want to try this and don't have access to a store, I suggest you buy the sample size of Camera Ready Cosmetics. That alone will last you months as you need to use such little product every time.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I have combo skin and this concealer is the best out there, hands down. I pat it on my hand before putting on in my under eye area and it looks beautiful. Nothing else compares.

It lasts all day and doesn't settle in my fine lines. It does not look cakey either!

on 11/14/2016 5:09:00 AM

I have this in SX04, this works for me, I'm NC20. Looks quite dark and yellow in the pot, but when applied it goes much lighter. I think it's because it's super pigmented that it looks darker, due to the concentration of pigment. I would re-purchase this, though I don't wear it that often. This stuff is crazy pigmented and covers any hyper-pigmentation or skin discoloration. I don't have acne, but if I have an occasional pimple that leaves discoloration, this stuff is the best by far to cancel it. Luckily, it doesn't break me out, since I'm prone to breaking out from foundations. For daily cover ups for small discolorations, I use the Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage, more simple to use. You can use this as an under eye concealer, but you have to be careful and use only a tiny bit and then work it in until it blends, or mixed with moisturizer as a TM, but I am always in a hurry in the morning, so I don't want to have to work another step into my routine. Overall, I would buy it again, I feel like i need to have at least one very high coverage concealer in my life, but this will probably last me 10 years (wonder when you should toss it, I've already had it for at least 1 year and a half and it's still almost full). I think it's good value for the money, it's 18g/0,63oz, but if you were to use this as foundation and mix it with TM, I think you'd easily make at least 250ml of foundation, as you only need a pinch of this to cover your entire face, so this is probably the cheapest high end foundation/TM. I'm not a fan of the jar packaging, but don't know if there would be another alternative, this stuff is too thick to put in a pump.

on 11/14/2016 4:02:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

I'm not sure why I didn't try this over a decade ago when I was obsessed with his brush collection. I think, maybe, back then he didn't have nearly as many colors and I don't remember seeing many good reviews...

I wish I had. I might not have wasted so much money on foundations that break me out, don't give nearly as much coverage, and don't quite match my skin.

This has the best coverage of any foundation I have ever used hands down (and, I've tried 75% of high end foundations that are available in my shade). But, because you need such a tiny amount, it manages to cover a multitude of sin while still looking pretty natural and not cakey at all unless you cake it on.

I am annoyed that, as usual, I have to mix 2 shades to get my perfect color ($100 after taxes). This is so common for me that I'm beginning to think there is a conspiracy against golden tan people with slight olive undertones and golden/yellow warmth like myself... Every one seems to have a shade that is a little too light with the perfect undertone, and one that is a little too dark and/or warm - always a giant leap up with gaps in between where my complexion falls. I feel neglected. I digress...

I HATE THE FRAGRANCE! I HATE FRAGRANCE IN ANYTHING FOR MY FACE! But, I tolerate it in this for results... Fragrance free would be much better!

I am 60% SX 11 (a touch too light and needs a little more warmth) and 40% or less SX 12 (a touch too dark and a little too warm)... Mixed, they work like a dream. I also mix SX 11 with my NARS Luminous Foundation in Tahoe with similar results. I'm planning to try mixing it with oils and creams as well. I like the finish much more than Cover FX Custom Cover Drops. The finish is much more skin-like.

For reference, I am:

MAC - NC42/43/44 (depending on the formula)
Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation Stick - Golden Natural/Warm & Golden Honey (mixed/center/perimeter)
NARS Weightless - Stromboli & Tahoe Mix
Becca - Bamboo (slightly too yellow)
Kat Von D - Medium 62 (too warm)
Black Up Full Coverage Cream - #2 & #3
Alima W5/G6 mix
Lancome Teint Idole Ultra Longwear Foundation Stick - 410 Bisque W (good undertone, too light - center of face only)
Tom Ford Traceless Foundation Stick - Caramel (too oily for Spring/Summer)
Anastasia Beverly Hills Stick Foundation - Caramel (great match, breaks me out)
Black Opal Foundation Stick - Rich Caramel (slightly dark, not yellow enough, gorgeous finish, breaks me out)
Cover FX Custom Cover Drops - G7 / N6 (looks dry and unnatural)

THIS KA Foundation gives me a beautiful glow, and evens my skin texture so well I don't even need a primer (I will update when I finally use it with a primer - as of now, it seems like an unnecessary step). It really does make my skin look beautiful. It wears forever, doesn't come off with oil or sweat and doesn't need to be set with much, if at all, depending on your skin type. I got 3 compliments today while wearing it, so I know I'm onto something and plan to keep experimenting with it. It is an awesome foundation and concealer.

This is some legit stuff! HG foundation for a full face, for spot concealing, and can be sheered down with other products for less coverage and a more natural finish. I just wish I hadn't written it off based on bad reviews and limited color selection years ago. I really missed out. This will always be in my arsenal from now on... A+

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Fine

To be honest, I wasn't quite sure what to do with this (I am shade SX06). I have concealers so didn't need another one and it's far too thick and pigmented for a foundation. However, I tried using it recently mixed with my cheap as chips but rather fabulous Astral cream for a nice, moisturising foundation at night and it worked a charm. Looked really nice, just the right amount of coverage and only one layer of product needed. Hooray, as I hate layering. I then tried it during the day mixed with my SPF (La Roche Posay Comfort Cream SPF30) and, again, it works really well. A tiny bit goes a long way so, despite the fact it was 38GBP, it's quite good value. It's also good to travel with as its such a small pot and then I can use it as concealer and foundation when away. For the record, I am 51, almost wrinkle free and no skin discolouration thanks to a 30 year habit of SPF but i get some redness around my nose and some enlarged pores there also.

on 8/17/2016 10:47:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I've had mine for about ten years (no judging please). It's always been hit and miss until now in that it can look phenomenal and last all day, or it applies badly and looks like cr@p from the get-go. Ive now found a foolproof application method and it looks great, supremely natural but buildable. I apply after a facial oil so there is some 'slip', I dot some on with a flat concealer brush (I try to not touch product in pot with fingers) and then blend in using an oval brush (artist dupe). My undereyes and circles are cavernous ATM I do the same for them but mix with an illuminating concealer/corrector .

Pro: Lasts forever
Natural skin like finish buildable to full coverage
Self-setting (I don't need powder)
Seems adjustable, I wear sx05 and it matches me from my lightest to darkest. I don't wear mac foundation but I think I'm a neutral NC15-20 (I don't usually use as full coverage though)
Can double as concealer

Con: until I found my current method of applying my results were hit and miss even with the primer designed for it with brush, beauty blender or fingers.

on 6/24/2016 9:15:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hated this. This is not for oily skin whatsoever. It literally melted off my skin and made my complexion look patchy and accented every pore. It looked so terrible, I took it back immediately. This must only work with dry skin or I perhaps I suck at application...

on 4/9/2016 3:33:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

The Nordstrom ladies always send me off with a sample of the SSE (SX04 or SX06, I range from NC 25-37) and that tiny half-pea size always lasts me a few weeks. This is a jar of condensed pigment that you can either use as a concealing agent or as foundation, given that you mix it with something else like a facial oil or a moisturizer. But if you want to use it alone, dry, you don't need very much to get full coverage results.

At $45 for a jar, anyone would be hesitant to buy, but it's got an amazing demi-matte finish that you can alter and play with to your heart's desires. The jar packaging is classy but can be worrisome to those who prefer pump bottles for the cleanliness, but it's got low water content and you can spray it with alcohol to disinfect each use.

This is a favorite of mine, but as I like to flirt around with dupes, I'm not rushing back to the store to pick up another!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've been looking for something to use instead of MUFE F&B on days when I need more coverage. I saw a YT review where someone had used a little dab of this stuff mixed with facial oil to achieve just that. So I bit the bullet and paid I think $48 for a tiiiiiny little pot of this in shade SX11 (I wear 32 in F&B).

So when it arrived, I was eager to give it a go. I always have on a ton of moisturizer and sunscreen, and I mixed a little dab with 3 drops of facial oil and got to work with a damp BeautyBlender. It covered all of my natural pinkness with no trouble. I dabbed a few dark spots with a bit on a Q-tip and blended out, and BOOM, they were gone. Also over a scratch on my nose from my dog. All of this with the same beautiful dewy finish of my beloved F&B. A light dusting of my usual Halo with a fan brush and my base is set. The feeling is very light - it's amazing that something with such a lightweight feel can give such coverage when needed.

SX11 is a touch on the neutral side for me, I think, but once it's all blended in around the jaw, it looks fine. Next time (which I can't imagine how long from now that will be, this pot will last forever), I would choose a more yellow shade, I think. But other than that, I have no complaints. The price seems insane but I think I pay $43 for F&B, and this will last longer than that bottle. You just have to get over the "visual" of the size of the pot.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I really wish I hadn't wasted my money on this. Numerous glowing reviews online plus my love for Kevyn Aucoin's book Face Forward prompted me to finally bite the bullet and purchase this concealer/foundation. The reason I was so hesistant to buy it was because of the steep price tag, and now I wish I had been even more hesitant and not bought it at all!

I cannot make this work for me. The colour seems to be good, but the formula...not so much. I have tried using this in numerous different ways and no matter what I do it seems to separate on my skin, enhance fine lines and generally look awful! I'm so disappointed. Maybe I just suck at application, but my advice would definitely be to avoid this one.