Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer Shades

Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer Shades
Color comparison for MAC NC30 / NC35Sensual Skin Enhancer Shades

4.2

Mineral Oil, Polybutene, Diethylhexyl Succinate, Polyethylene, Quaternium-18 Hectorite, Calcium Carbonate, Dextrin Palmitate, Honey, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopherol, Beeswax, Butylene Glycol, Cholesterol, Lecithin, Talc, Triethylhexanoin, Methylparaben, Fragrance. May Contain ( /-): Iron Oxides (CI 77491), Iron Oxides (CI 77492), Iron Oxides (CI 77499), Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77491).

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Fine

To be honest, I wasn't quite sure what to do with this (I am shade SX06). I have concealers so didn't need another one and it's far too thick and pigmented for a foundation. However, I tried using it recently mixed with my cheap as chips but rather fabulous Astral cream for a nice, moisturising foundation at night and it worked a charm. Looked really nice, just the right amount of coverage and only one layer of product needed. Hooray, as I hate layering. I then tried it during the day mixed with my SPF (La Roche Posay Comfort Cream SPF30) and, again, it works really well. A tiny bit goes a long way so, despite the fact it was 38GBP, it's quite good value. It's also good to travel with as its such a small pot and then I can use it as concealer and foundation when away. For the record, I am 51, almost wrinkle free and no skin discolouration thanks to a 30 year habit of SPF but i get some redness around my nose and some enlarged pores there also.

on 8/17/2016 10:47:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I've had mine for about ten years (no judging please). It's always been hit and miss until now in that it can look phenomenal and last all day, or it applies badly and looks like cr@p from the get-go. Ive now found a foolproof application method and it looks great, supremely natural but buildable. I apply after a facial oil so there is some 'slip', I dot some on with a flat concealer brush (I try to not touch product in pot with fingers) and then blend in using an oval brush (artist dupe). My undereyes and circles are cavernous ATM I do the same for them but mix with an illuminating concealer/corrector .

Pro: Lasts forever
Natural skin like finish buildable to full coverage
Self-setting (I don't need powder)
Seems adjustable, I wear sx05 and it matches me from my lightest to darkest. I don't wear mac foundation but I think I'm a neutral NC15-20 (I don't usually use as full coverage though)
Can double as concealer

Con: until I found my current method of applying my results were hit and miss even with the primer designed for it with brush, beauty blender or fingers.

To Read all 45 Reviews, Login or Join

on 6/24/2016 9:15:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hated this. This is not for oily skin whatsoever. It literally melted off my skin and made my complexion look patchy and accented every pore. It looked so terrible, I took it back immediately. This must only work with dry skin or I perhaps I suck at application...

on 4/9/2016 3:33:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

The Nordstrom ladies always send me off with a sample of the SSE (SX04 or SX06, I range from NC 25-37) and that tiny half-pea size always lasts me a few weeks. This is a jar of condensed pigment that you can either use as a concealing agent or as foundation, given that you mix it with something else like a facial oil or a moisturizer. But if you want to use it alone, dry, you don't need very much to get full coverage results.

At $45 for a jar, anyone would be hesitant to buy, but it's got an amazing demi-matte finish that you can alter and play with to your heart's desires. The jar packaging is classy but can be worrisome to those who prefer pump bottles for the cleanliness, but it's got low water content and you can spray it with alcohol to disinfect each use.

This is a favorite of mine, but as I like to flirt around with dupes, I'm not rushing back to the store to pick up another!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've been looking for something to use instead of MUFE F&B on days when I need more coverage. I saw a YT review where someone had used a little dab of this stuff mixed with facial oil to achieve just that. So I bit the bullet and paid I think $48 for a tiiiiiny little pot of this in shade SX11 (I wear 32 in F&B).

So when it arrived, I was eager to give it a go. I always have on a ton of moisturizer and sunscreen, and I mixed a little dab with 3 drops of facial oil and got to work with a damp BeautyBlender. It covered all of my natural pinkness with no trouble. I dabbed a few dark spots with a bit on a Q-tip and blended out, and BOOM, they were gone. Also over a scratch on my nose from my dog. All of this with the same beautiful dewy finish of my beloved F&B. A light dusting of my usual Halo with a fan brush and my base is set. The feeling is very light - it's amazing that something with such a lightweight feel can give such coverage when needed.

SX11 is a touch on the neutral side for me, I think, but once it's all blended in around the jaw, it looks fine. Next time (which I can't imagine how long from now that will be, this pot will last forever), I would choose a more yellow shade, I think. But other than that, I have no complaints. The price seems insane but I think I pay $43 for F&B, and this will last longer than that bottle. You just have to get over the "visual" of the size of the pot.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I really wish I hadn't wasted my money on this. Numerous glowing reviews online plus my love for Kevyn Aucoin's book Face Forward prompted me to finally bite the bullet and purchase this concealer/foundation. The reason I was so hesistant to buy it was because of the steep price tag, and now I wish I had been even more hesitant and not bought it at all!

I cannot make this work for me. The colour seems to be good, but the formula...not so much. I have tried using this in numerous different ways and no matter what I do it seems to separate on my skin, enhance fine lines and generally look awful! I'm so disappointed. Maybe I just suck at application, but my advice would definitely be to avoid this one.

on 11/28/2015 1:49:00 PM

I am updating my review. I decided to use the #10. I first put on moisturizer with a serum. I then put on Trish McEvoy tinted BB Cream to even out my face, took a tiny bit of KA and mixed it with a primer, swirled it together and used my fingers for application. I then took my flat head foundation brush and even it out and swirled with the brush. Put a small amount of LM translucent powder and my face looks so dry and I can see the pores in my face. The highly pigmented quality of this product does not seem to be there either, with the way I applied this foundation. Unsure if I will continue to use. Sigh....

on 11/18/2015 8:17:00 PM

I agree with many of the reviewers here. This product is VERY pigmented and will cover pretty much anything you want. It can also be thinned out to a tinted moisturizer-level coverage. It's very versatile. That said, its versatility is also one of its downfalls. Because it's so highly pigmented, it can be very hard to spread on its own. When I have dry skin, this clings to everything and looks patchy. I absolutely must thin it out with moisturizer, primer, or a facial oil before applying. Thus, this product requires a lot of work compared to your typical product. Approximately 2-3x as much work as I must mix it with something prior to application. If you're lazy like me, you might just prefer to have a separate foundation and concealer that you can just pop open and put straight onto your face without the effort of mixing. When I do put in the effort, this product does look pretty phenomenal and I like that I can use my own tried and true skin care products as a base. Whether this will work for you really depends on the effort you're willing to put in. If you do decide to put in the effort, you'll get solid coverage, with a satin finish that lasts a pretty good amount of the day. One additional caveat, this is a mineral oil-based foundation. Mineral oil is not an issue for the vast majority of people and is contained in many cosmetic products, partially because most people do not react to it (also partially, because it is an inexpensive ingredient). That said, some people have an issue with this. I do not.

on 11/13/2015 2:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I absolutely adore this foundation/concealer. 1) This plays most happily with oil, I place one SMALL drop of ANY facial oil on the the back of my hand and then two match head amounts of the color and I mix it together and then dot on the center of my face moving down and out. This is the most versatile and innovative foundation to come down the pike in a very long time, the reason is because YOU have total control over the coverage, from very sheer i.e.: tinted moisturizer to full blown heavy duty base. I have a light ivory complexion that is normal and I have this in three colors, #2,#1 and #6 I use the 1 as a Touche Eclat like brightener in the center of my face and I use the #6 around the perimeter and /or in summer the #6 is a good match. The #2 is a slightly lighter shade than my natural color and I like that in the evening and again as an and/or concealer in the summer. It is best to go to the KA counter to have a pro test them on you, although the colors look VERY light in the pots they in fact seem to have a chameleon like ability to blend with the skin.

on 11/11/2015 9:22:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I have type 1 rosacea where my baseline face color is red which increases with sudden, uncontrollable flushing. It's very hard to be out and about with my skin reacting to temperature changes, fluorescent lighting and stress. I've tried hundreds of dollars of products trying to find something to conceal that wouldn't irritate my skin but I feel like this has been the biggest game changer for me.

I don't even know why I tried this but I'm glad I did. I had talked myself out of it due to the price and it seemed like such a small amount. It does take a little trial and error to begin with because it's not like any other product. It is more pliable than the dermablend cover cream in the pot and feels better on my skin. The way I use it is to apply my moisturizer first and wait a few minutes and then dot this on. It warms up fast on my face so it starts to spread but leaves a very nice base to help disguise the redness. I let it set for about five minutes as it dries a bit so I don't smudge it then I apply a small amount of my makeup forever hd foundation to kind of set it and give it a natural finish.

It has helped me feel more comfortable going out and really helps me camouflage the redness. It also seems to be a good barrier to the environment because of the consistency and texture so my skin doesn't react as much.

I wear 117 in the mufe foundation. Not sure of the new number for the updated version though. With this product I find sx3 works well for me because it does have some olive in it which helps to neutralize the redness. Sx2 is nice but a little fair for me but I could get away with it. Sx4 is warmer and I like that for a little extra color.

I really hope they don't ever discontinue this product or that my skin doesn't revolt and decides it doesn't like it. I'm always afraid that I will "jinx" it by saying how great it is but I have been able to use this for 6 months without incident so I'm pretty happy!