Erno Laszlo Shake-it [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by eye Color : Green
Erno Laszlo Shake-it [DISCONTINUED]

4.5

Aqua (Water), Alcohol Denat. (Sd Alcohol 40-B), Calcium Carbonate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Talc, Glycerin, Citric Acid, Parfum (Fragrance), Denatonium Benzoate, Amyl Cinnamal, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Benzoate, Citronellol, Eugenol, Gerniol, Hydroxycitronellal, Isoeugenol, Limonene, Linalool, Ci 77491 Ci 77492 Ci 77499 (Iron Oxides), Ci 77947 (Zinc Oxide), Ci 77891 (Titanium Dioxide)

I like it, but I'm not wowed by it, so I wouldn't buy again when (if) I ever finish the one I have.
I have it in shade Neutral, and it's a little too yellow for my NW15 skin even in summer time, with a slight tan. It's okay though, but I cannot see myself getting away with it in the winter time.
What I do like is that it keeps me relatively matte for most of the day, I only get oily in the evening, after 6 pm, after having it on for 11 hours and blotting once or twice mid-day. So it's a good product for hot summers, which is why I gave it the 4 lippies.
I tried using it as a base under my foundation, but it didn't work like that, it all felt gross and cakey.
The way I use it is by soaking a cotton ball into the mixture and applying all over the face, letting it dry for a minute or so, then going over it with my fingers to buff it in. Because it still looks powdery, I then spray some UD All Nighter on top, let it sit for a few seconds, then gently pat it in with my fingers - I find that this removes the powdery look and leaves my face matte, poreless and flawless. I also use a setting powder (Coty Airspun at the moment) on top.
As for coverage, I did pour out about half of the clear liquid (toner), this way the product is more concentrated and I can achieve a medium coverage. I haven't had any active pimples since I've started using it, so I don't know how it would cover them, but I have a feeling it might work. If not, a dab of concealer will do.
I have a feeling it also prevents breakouts, because the toner has alcohol in it and other stuff that apparently is good for the skin.
It has a faint scent but it doesn't linger at all, and it feels a bit drying, especially in the beginning, but the feeling subsides soon after.
As a negative, I find it does pool up in some pores, especially on my nose, but it's not obnoxiously obvious like with other foundations. Does it look like I'm wearing nothing? No. But it does look pretty natural, so it's all good.
I don't think it would be a good product for winter, when skin gets much drier, but I totally recommend it for summer, especially for those who don't need full coverage.
It is expensive, but I don't see myself running out of it anytime soon, so it's worth the price.

on 11/19/2011 2:21:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've been using Erno Laszlo for the last 30 years. I get so many compliments on my now 50 year old skin. I've moved on to the Firmarine products, but still use Sea Mud Soap and Formula 3-9 is the best for sunburn. I just wish more places sold, but as a result, I have a great rapport with Anne, my sales rep at Saks.

This really is just liquid powder, or more specifically, powder held in suspension. It doesn't really act or look like foundation per se, more like a good layer of powder.
You can only use it if your skin is quite oily because both the powder and alcohol are so drying. But if you do have a lot of oil and prefer a "no-makeup" look this is so worth trying! It wear well and stays matte nearly all day, depending on just how big a greaseball you really are. Also, if you remember the Clinique Pore Minimizer lotion from years ago, this is nearly identical. And yes, it does a hell of a job filling in pores. BTW I always apply it with my fingertips or a sponge. If you use cotton you'll blow through so much product and end up throwing a good lot of it away on the pad.

on 7/29/2011 2:27:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

Shake It is my go to product when I want even skin without the heaviness of a foundation. It leaves my skin looking flawless enough to leave the house with just that and some concealer. On another note even with my sensitive skin this product has not caused any redness if burning. I have recommended this to all of my friends.

on 11/5/2008 1:50:00 PM

HG status, and I have used just about every HE foundation out there. I LOVE this stuff. It's a little hard to get used to since it has the consistency of water. You need to work fast but it is so worth the effort. My combination skin looks perfect and poreless after application.

on 9/16/2006 11:14:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This tinted treatment product intended as an oil-controlling product for normal to very oily skin, is great for minimizing the appearance of my pores, but since I can have slightly dry skin, particularly in the cold winter months, if I use this all over my face, it has to be with a light touch. I tend to apply it only over my nose and on the sides of my nose. Sometimes, in the summer, I will use it on more areas of my face, though. It should be noted that this is not a substitute for foundation or concealer, and does not give coverage like a cream or liquid foundation does. The color that is best for me is the Light Beige, and I am a MAC NW20 to NW25, just for reference. I would not recommend this for anyone who has dry to extremely dry skin. The product comes in a 6.8 oz plastic bottle, and consists of 2 parts, the "treatment" part, and the "color" part. The treatment part makes up approximately 80% of the product. Before you use it, you give it a good upside down shake to mix the two parts, because the colored talc part settles down to the bottom of the bottle, and then apply it with a cotton ball to your face and blend in either with the cotton ball or your fingers. It does not contain sunscreen.