Erno Laszlo Shake-it [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by eye Color : Brown
Erno Laszlo Shake-it [DISCONTINUED]

4.7

Aqua (Water), Alcohol Denat. (Sd Alcohol 40-B), Calcium Carbonate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Talc, Glycerin, Citric Acid, Parfum (Fragrance), Denatonium Benzoate, Amyl Cinnamal, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Benzoate, Citronellol, Eugenol, Gerniol, Hydroxycitronellal, Isoeugenol, Limonene, Linalool, Ci 77491 Ci 77492 Ci 77499 (Iron Oxides), Ci 77947 (Zinc Oxide), Ci 77891 (Titanium Dioxide)

on 1/29/2017 7:51:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Are you perplexed by my five-star rating and then see that I would not repurchase? Simple answer: Laszlo no longer makes this product. The company has been bought and high-jacked by some absolute fools in search of the "younger market"..I say HA to that. Dr.Laszlo was the first doctor company and its many long-time followers are legion, so much so that when you go to Nordstrom reviews you see review after review from people who have been using this for five decades or more and you will also see that their daughters and granddaughters have become devotees as well. Originally the only way you could purchase this line was at Saks Fifth Avenue, you had to book an appointment, have your skin clocked (meaning skin type designation). After the 30-40 minute consultation, the ONLY way you could purchase was by buying ALL the products (you then became a member of the Laszlo Institute) recommended and for good reason, these products work synergistically and yes they really do or I should say did. Now everything has been reformulated with a lot trendy, meaningless ingredients. I spoke with their global brand ambassador who did work at Saks for forty years selling this line. Sadly this pioneering brand has decided to knuckle under to all this pre-cleanse/double cleanse phrasing which is ridiculous as Laszlo was the man who invented oil for makeup removal and then the appropriate soap for your skin type, the most important step in this regime is filling the basin with water as hot as you can tolerate, dip the bar of soap in the water, slide the wet bar all over your face and neck, dip the soap in the water again and work up the lather so you have lots of suds, place soap back in the dish and then start the splashing technique. Forty splashes in the what is known as 'treatment water', pat dry. I guarantee you have never known what truly clean skin feels like, all the splashes force water to flush out the pores and hydrate the skin, after all, moisture is water hence hydration. Pat the skin dry and follow with the appropriate toner/astringent. I am 63 years old and have used this since I was in my late teens my skin is soft as a baby's bottom and well hydrated. If you use Shake-it, Light controlling Lotion and/or Regular Controlling Lotion, fret not as the Janet Sartin company can replace the aforementioned. Miss Sartin's products are milder but effective for me. Many people have said that the Laszlo Sea-Mud soap is not the same classic formula, I am guessing they are probably correct. I hope I have been of help and if anyone knows of a Sea-Mud soap stand-in please put a review in here

on 9/16/2015 11:14:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Wow. If you are looking for a sheer to light coverage powder foundation, LOOK NO FURTHER!
I have been using this "foundation" for literally almost 25 years. No kidding. I use the Shade 0 color in the summer, and the Neutral color in the winter. They are both neutral warm tones. Neutral has a little more yellow undertones and is a little lighter than Shade 0. Granted, I have used this off and on over the years, but I ALWAYS come back to my Shake It because nothing else has the staying power, pore minimalizing power, and acne control power that this has. It will NEVER clog your pores or break you out. In the summer I use it as is, and in the winter I pour a little of the clear liquid (mostly alcohol) off the top and add pure witch hazel to it. The result: flawless skin ALL year!

on 6/14/2013 5:45:00 PM

i have hyperhydrosis (and am freaking perimenopausal to boot) and have been struggling with how to get light foundation for my face that will not sweat right off. Mainly, i pour sweat for a good 2 hours after i wash my face or take a shower and most days it's simply impossible to apply foundation or powder without making "mud". i have used NuSkin products for close to 20 years, which is the best skin care decision i have made in my life, but even their wonderful products could not give me that light coverage i was wishing for.
Based on the reviews on this board, i purchased Shake-It back in October and am here to share that it has been a dead-on perfect solution to my issues. i poured a bit of the alcohol off as other users have suggested and i love, love, love this product. It goes on next to invisible (i use a moistened cosmetic wedge) and, as it dries, gives me the faintest bit of powdered barrier - my sweating stops - and i am then able to finish with the smallest pats of my NuSkin powder. It's super no-hassle and is the answer to many an agonizing morning spent wondering if i would ever be able to wear makeup again.
God Bless You, Erno Laszlo.

Wish I would have discovered this 30 years ago! This stuff is amazing for oily skin. It is essentially powder suspended in toner. After washing and priming my skin I sponge this on with the sponge that I swiped (never used) from my Studio Fix compact. It literally takes 30 seconds. When the alcohol dries you're left with a flawless, somewhat sheer veil of powder and you just look like you have perfect skin. It shrinks pores and keeps my skin matte all day. If I go out in the evening I just reapply and get a fresh made-up look immediately. It really is perfect. I have been a devoted powder foundation user for years but powder foundations just don't cut it in the summer - they're too thick, obvious, and melt right off even with primer. This is amazing stuff and I might use it year round when the weather cools - we'll see.. Expensive, but worth it. FYI - I prime with MAC Prep+Prime SPF 50. I've tried just straight moisturizer and/or sunblock and it doesn't work as well. The neutral shade that I use is pretty much universally flattering on everyone, or so I'm told.

on 3/9/2012 9:38:00 AM

I agree with taz1946 and also remember pouring out some of the clear liquid in Shake-it for more coverage. I believe it was called Photo Finish. However, instead of throwing the liquid out, pour it into your light controlling lotion bottle, because that is what it is. I have used Erno Laszlo since the early 80's and although they have been bought out several times, and the products went though many changes (not all of them good), I believe they finally got it right again. Your skin will look better than you thought possible.

on 3/7/2011 4:43:00 PM

I didn't know much about EL when I first bought this but was surprised and very happy that I did. It is one of my must have products for the summertime. Sunscreens usually leave me a little bit oily and I've found that this is very good at countering that and leaving my skin with a matte, but not dry look. My skin is dry in the winter so I only use this in the summer. I don't know how well a job this does in terms of preventing acne blemishes though.

I just use my fingers and swipe it on my t -zone and blend outwards. It's weird at first but you'll get the hang of it quickly. Just work quickly and do small areas at a time.

A little pricey but it lasts a long time.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Wow....This stuff is amazing! Everything breaks me out, but this stuff has really helped clear up my skin! usually makeup makes my acne worse but since i started using this stuff, i havent had a single new break out and my old ones are diminishing. The coverage is ok. just makes your skin look clearer without really covering your skin. calms redness and gives you a nice matte finish. I think this would be too drying for someone with already drying skin though, unless you layer it over a rich cream. I love touching up with this during the day. since its filled with alcohol i feel it kills any bacteria on my face haha. The heavy controlling cream is also great for nighttime.

Pores? What pores?!
This product is fantastic at controlling oil and redness and makes my pores practically invisible!
I have really sensitive skin...no reaction yet.
Looks really nice under my foundation...I know some people use it by itself but I need extra coverage. Love love love!

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I really like this. I use this after I moisturize my skin. First I wash my face, then I use toner, then I apply my daily spf15 moisturizer, then when my moisturizer is totally absorbed and my skin is dry I use a cotton ball and "dab" the Shake-It all over my face (avoiding the eye area). I let it dry, then I follow with a pressed powder (I use NARS pressed powder foundation). I love how the Shake-It makes my pores look almost invisible, and I love how it helps absorb oil all day long. It does have alcohol in it, so it would be much too drying for anyone with dry or sensitive skin. But for people with oily skin like me, it really works well. Also, I am PPP and I use the color "Neutral". I tried the color Porcelain, but it looked very pale and like white powder on my skin. I think porcelain would be only for the whitest of pale white skins. I called Erno Laszlo customer service and spoke with a product consultant and she told me that for MOST Caucasian women (about 80%) who are NOT tanned, the color NEUTRAL is a good match. She said that the color Neutral has no pink or yellow undertones, and so it blends well and adapts to both skin tones on women. So I ordered the Neutral, and she was right! The Neutral blends very nicely into my skin. Perfect! Hope that helps anyone out there who is trying to decide on a color selection. ___UPDATE___3-8-07__ Still loving this product. My 11 year old son has started using this now too. He dabs it on his acne breakouts after washing and drying his face, and the Shake-It has really helped clear up his skin. He only applies it to the areas of his skin that usually break-out (top of forehead/hairline, around nose, between eyebrows), and his skin looks clearer than it's been in over a year! Impressive. Plus the tint helps slightly conceal the breakouts while it dries them up and treats them. Now I had to order another bottle of Shake-It because my son swiped my first one and keeps it in his bathroom! LOL! He's pretty much taken over ownership of it! I don't blame him though, because it works really, really well. Good stuff! I will continue to purchase for both myself and my son. :)

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I too have very oily skin, so this is a dream product for the warmer months- nothing worse than getting out of the shower, getting dressed and trying to put makeup on a sweaty face! ugh!! this stuff is light, and more like a tinted toner, however the finish on my face when i am done applying this (i use a cotton round) is fantastic, flawless! just evens the tone and leaves a powdery matte finish. a little powder and i'm done. not sure how i am going to incorporate my spf into this yet.. but so far i'm loving this. the shade i got was Beige, which is pretty tan in color, a perfect match for my MAC NW30 complexion.

Popular Face Skincare Products