Erno Laszlo Shake-it [DISCONTINUED]

4.8

on 1/29/2017 7:51:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Are you perplexed by my five-star rating and then see that I would not repurchase? Simple answer: Laszlo no longer makes this product. The company has been bought and high-jacked by some absolute fools in search of the "younger market"..I say HA to that. Dr.Laszlo was the first doctor company and its many long-time followers are legion, so much so that when you go to Nordstrom reviews you see review after review from people who have been using this for five decades or more and you will also see that their daughters and granddaughters have become devotees as well. Originally the only way you could purchase this line was at Saks Fifth Avenue, you had to book an appointment, have your skin clocked (meaning skin type designation). After the 30-40 minute consultation, the ONLY way you could purchase was by buying ALL the products (you then became a member of the Laszlo Institute) recommended and for good reason, these products work synergistically and yes they really do or I should say did. Now everything has been reformulated with a lot trendy, meaningless ingredients. I spoke with their global brand ambassador who did work at Saks for forty years selling this line. Sadly this pioneering brand has decided to knuckle under to all this pre-cleanse/double cleanse phrasing which is ridiculous as Laszlo was the man who invented oil for makeup removal and then the appropriate soap for your skin type, the most important step in this regime is filling the basin with water as hot as you can tolerate, dip the bar of soap in the water, slide the wet bar all over your face and neck, dip the soap in the water again and work up the lather so you have lots of suds, place soap back in the dish and then start the splashing technique. Forty splashes in the what is known as 'treatment water', pat dry. I guarantee you have never known what truly clean skin feels like, all the splashes force water to flush out the pores and hydrate the skin, after all, moisture is water hence hydration. Pat the skin dry and follow with the appropriate toner/astringent. I am 63 years old and have used this since I was in my late teens my skin is soft as a baby's bottom and well hydrated. If you use Shake-it, Light controlling Lotion and/or Regular Controlling Lotion, fret not as the Janet Sartin company can replace the aforementioned. Miss Sartin's products are milder but effective for me. Many people have said that the Laszlo Sea-Mud soap is not the same classic formula, I am guessing they are probably correct. I hope I have been of help and if anyone knows of a Sea-Mud soap stand-in please put a review in here

on 3/6/2016 3:22:00 PM

A great product, but why a color change in the line? I have been using the palest shade of Shake It since 1966. It agrees with my combination sensitive fair skin in that with the Laszlo controlling face powder, it gives my skin a natural look and - very important - does not turn orange on me. Most foundations do. I'm sure I'm not alone in appreciating this quality, but I've just learned that Lazlo has eliminated it's fairest shade, called Porcelain for quite some time but not always - from the Shake It line. A new shade, Neutral, appears to be intended as a replacement, but Neutral has yellow in it per the color swatch on the Laszlo website. Back in the day, this line was a source of a brilliant range of shades in its color products. In this age of diversity, Laszlo appears to be moving backward, with increasingly diminished colors and color products. (An oil-free foundation product introduced in the '90s, I think it was, that looked wonderful over Shake It for more coverage - I used the cool, pale shade, Vanilla (0) - was replaced with a more expensive and less effective product that is harder to apply and looks muddy on my fair skin. ( And please stop the Sea Mud Soap in its new box from flaking and splitting - two bars in a row
so far.) I'm worried that the stalwart products in the Laszlo program and the good changes added to it over the years are being dropped and/or neglected in favor of a way to make a fast buck, and that the line will die off as a result. A sad prospect to this long-time fan.

I like it, but I'm not wowed by it, so I wouldn't buy again when (if) I ever finish the one I have.
I have it in shade Neutral, and it's a little too yellow for my NW15 skin even in summer time, with a slight tan. It's okay though, but I cannot see myself getting away with it in the winter time.
What I do like is that it keeps me relatively matte for most of the day, I only get oily in the evening, after 6 pm, after having it on for 11 hours and blotting once or twice mid-day. So it's a good product for hot summers, which is why I gave it the 4 lippies.
I tried using it as a base under my foundation, but it didn't work like that, it all felt gross and cakey.
The way I use it is by soaking a cotton ball into the mixture and applying all over the face, letting it dry for a minute or so, then going over it with my fingers to buff it in. Because it still looks powdery, I then spray some UD All Nighter on top, let it sit for a few seconds, then gently pat it in with my fingers - I find that this removes the powdery look and leaves my face matte, poreless and flawless. I also use a setting powder (Coty Airspun at the moment) on top.
As for coverage, I did pour out about half of the clear liquid (toner), this way the product is more concentrated and I can achieve a medium coverage. I haven't had any active pimples since I've started using it, so I don't know how it would cover them, but I have a feeling it might work. If not, a dab of concealer will do.
I have a feeling it also prevents breakouts, because the toner has alcohol in it and other stuff that apparently is good for the skin.
It has a faint scent but it doesn't linger at all, and it feels a bit drying, especially in the beginning, but the feeling subsides soon after.
As a negative, I find it does pool up in some pores, especially on my nose, but it's not obnoxiously obvious like with other foundations. Does it look like I'm wearing nothing? No. But it does look pretty natural, so it's all good.
I don't think it would be a good product for winter, when skin gets much drier, but I totally recommend it for summer, especially for those who don't need full coverage.
It is expensive, but I don't see myself running out of it anytime soon, so it's worth the price.

on 6/14/2013 5:45:00 PM

i have hyperhydrosis (and am freaking perimenopausal to boot) and have been struggling with how to get light foundation for my face that will not sweat right off. Mainly, i pour sweat for a good 2 hours after i wash my face or take a shower and most days it's simply impossible to apply foundation or powder without making "mud". i have used NuSkin products for close to 20 years, which is the best skin care decision i have made in my life, but even their wonderful products could not give me that light coverage i was wishing for.
Based on the reviews on this board, i purchased Shake-It back in October and am here to share that it has been a dead-on perfect solution to my issues. i poured a bit of the alcohol off as other users have suggested and i love, love, love this product. It goes on next to invisible (i use a moistened cosmetic wedge) and, as it dries, gives me the faintest bit of powdered barrier - my sweating stops - and i am then able to finish with the smallest pats of my NuSkin powder. It's super no-hassle and is the answer to many an agonizing morning spent wondering if i would ever be able to wear makeup again.
God Bless You, Erno Laszlo.

on 7/29/2011 2:27:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

Shake It is my go to product when I want even skin without the heaviness of a foundation. It leaves my skin looking flawless enough to leave the house with just that and some concealer. On another note even with my sensitive skin this product has not caused any redness if burning. I have recommended this to all of my friends.

on 10/24/2009 9:53:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I agree with another reviewer here. College and Shake-It. There are all sorts of newer products on the market for acne control these days but this is still the best in terms of makeup. Yes, products have changed but acne remains the same and it still favorably responds to EL. I don't understand why it works so well because it is largely alcohol and that's supposed to be a no no but in 40 years I have tried all sorts of products and this still remains at the top of the list. Maybe it's the type of alcohol. When you buy it the SA will tell you to soak a cotton ball, apply to your skin in layers until you get the coverage you want, then buff. In the day when we were short of time but wanted heavier coverage for scarring, we just poured about 1/2 the clear liquid out then would shake it to mix the contents. Even though this made it thicker, it still provided the same sheer natural look. It's more expensive this way but truly this stuff lasts a long time even starting out with a little more than half a bottle. As others have said it gives your complexion the smoothest finest looking skin. Wonderful stuff!!

on 2/28/2009 10:11:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

Fabulous pigmented, truly water-based makeup....no silicones, oils or glycols.

INGREDIENTS: Aqua (Water), Alcohol Denat. (Sd Alcohol 40-B), Calcium Carbonate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Talc, Glycerin, Citric Acid, Parfum (Fragrance), Denatonium Benzoate, Amyl Cinnamal, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Benzoate, Citronellol, Eugenol, Gerniol, Hydroxycitronellal, Isoeugenol, Limonene, Linalool, Ci 77491 Ci 77492 Ci 77499 (Iron Oxides), Ci 77947 (Zinc Oxide), Ci 77891 (Titanium Dioxide) continued >>

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I too have very oily skin, so this is a dream product for the warmer months- nothing worse than getting out of the shower, getting dressed and trying to put makeup on a sweaty face! ugh!! this stuff is light, and more like a tinted toner, however the finish on my face when i am done applying this (i use a cotton round) is fantastic, flawless! just evens the tone and leaves a powdery matte finish. a little powder and i'm done. not sure how i am going to incorporate my spf into this yet.. but so far i'm loving this. the shade i got was Beige, which is pretty tan in color, a perfect match for my MAC NW30 complexion.

on 4/2/2006 9:50:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

All I have to say.. Is THANK GOD FOR ERNO LASZLO.. I have loved every product I have ever used by him, and they are all amazing. Especially this one :p Great for oily skin!