Erno Laszlo Shake-it [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Erno Laszlo Shake-it [DISCONTINUED]

4.5

Aqua (Water), Alcohol Denat. (Sd Alcohol 40-B), Calcium Carbonate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Talc, Glycerin, Citric Acid, Parfum (Fragrance), Denatonium Benzoate, Amyl Cinnamal, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Benzoate, Citronellol, Eugenol, Gerniol, Hydroxycitronellal, Isoeugenol, Limonene, Linalool, Ci 77491 Ci 77492 Ci 77499 (Iron Oxides), Ci 77947 (Zinc Oxide), Ci 77891 (Titanium Dioxide)

on 2/1/2017 2:35:00 AM

Hi guys I was upset this was discontinued too. Wanted to share that I have heard Janet Sartin Dual Performance Treatment Makeup is the dupe of this product.

on 3/6/2016 3:22:00 PM

A great product, but why a color change in the line? I have been using the palest shade of Shake It since 1966. It agrees with my combination sensitive fair skin in that with the Laszlo controlling face powder, it gives my skin a natural look and - very important - does not turn orange on me. Most foundations do. I'm sure I'm not alone in appreciating this quality, but I've just learned that Lazlo has eliminated it's fairest shade, called Porcelain for quite some time but not always - from the Shake It line. A new shade, Neutral, appears to be intended as a replacement, but Neutral has yellow in it per the color swatch on the Laszlo website. Back in the day, this line was a source of a brilliant range of shades in its color products. In this age of diversity, Laszlo appears to be moving backward, with increasingly diminished colors and color products. (An oil-free foundation product introduced in the '90s, I think it was, that looked wonderful over Shake It for more coverage - I used the cool, pale shade, Vanilla (0) - was replaced with a more expensive and less effective product that is harder to apply and looks muddy on my fair skin. ( And please stop the Sea Mud Soap in its new box from flaking and splitting - two bars in a row
so far.) I'm worried that the stalwart products in the Laszlo program and the good changes added to it over the years are being dropped and/or neglected in favor of a way to make a fast buck, and that the line will die off as a result. A sad prospect to this long-time fan.

I like it, but I'm not wowed by it, so I wouldn't buy again when (if) I ever finish the one I have.
I have it in shade Neutral, and it's a little too yellow for my NW15 skin even in summer time, with a slight tan. It's okay though, but I cannot see myself getting away with it in the winter time.
What I do like is that it keeps me relatively matte for most of the day, I only get oily in the evening, after 6 pm, after having it on for 11 hours and blotting once or twice mid-day. So it's a good product for hot summers, which is why I gave it the 4 lippies.
I tried using it as a base under my foundation, but it didn't work like that, it all felt gross and cakey.
The way I use it is by soaking a cotton ball into the mixture and applying all over the face, letting it dry for a minute or so, then going over it with my fingers to buff it in. Because it still looks powdery, I then spray some UD All Nighter on top, let it sit for a few seconds, then gently pat it in with my fingers - I find that this removes the powdery look and leaves my face matte, poreless and flawless. I also use a setting powder (Coty Airspun at the moment) on top.
As for coverage, I did pour out about half of the clear liquid (toner), this way the product is more concentrated and I can achieve a medium coverage. I haven't had any active pimples since I've started using it, so I don't know how it would cover them, but I have a feeling it might work. If not, a dab of concealer will do.
I have a feeling it also prevents breakouts, because the toner has alcohol in it and other stuff that apparently is good for the skin.
It has a faint scent but it doesn't linger at all, and it feels a bit drying, especially in the beginning, but the feeling subsides soon after.
As a negative, I find it does pool up in some pores, especially on my nose, but it's not obnoxiously obvious like with other foundations. Does it look like I'm wearing nothing? No. But it does look pretty natural, so it's all good.
I don't think it would be a good product for winter, when skin gets much drier, but I totally recommend it for summer, especially for those who don't need full coverage.
It is expensive, but I don't see myself running out of it anytime soon, so it's worth the price.

on 6/14/2013 5:45:00 PM

i have hyperhydrosis (and am freaking perimenopausal to boot) and have been struggling with how to get light foundation for my face that will not sweat right off. Mainly, i pour sweat for a good 2 hours after i wash my face or take a shower and most days it's simply impossible to apply foundation or powder without making "mud". i have used NuSkin products for close to 20 years, which is the best skin care decision i have made in my life, but even their wonderful products could not give me that light coverage i was wishing for.
Based on the reviews on this board, i purchased Shake-It back in October and am here to share that it has been a dead-on perfect solution to my issues. i poured a bit of the alcohol off as other users have suggested and i love, love, love this product. It goes on next to invisible (i use a moistened cosmetic wedge) and, as it dries, gives me the faintest bit of powdered barrier - my sweating stops - and i am then able to finish with the smallest pats of my NuSkin powder. It's super no-hassle and is the answer to many an agonizing morning spent wondering if i would ever be able to wear makeup again.
God Bless You, Erno Laszlo.

on 8/3/2012 1:25:00 PM

I have dry skin, so I'm not the target market for this product. Nevertheless, I like it for covering the t-zone, especially in hot weather. It leaves my t-zone as matte as matte can be.

Sometimes I apply with the recommended cotton ball; other times with a flat-top foundation brush. I do wish the opening was a bit smaller, to avoid the chance of spilling this very expensive potion.

Wish I would have discovered this 30 years ago! This stuff is amazing for oily skin. It is essentially powder suspended in toner. After washing and priming my skin I sponge this on with the sponge that I swiped (never used) from my Studio Fix compact. It literally takes 30 seconds. When the alcohol dries you're left with a flawless, somewhat sheer veil of powder and you just look like you have perfect skin. It shrinks pores and keeps my skin matte all day. If I go out in the evening I just reapply and get a fresh made-up look immediately. It really is perfect. I have been a devoted powder foundation user for years but powder foundations just don't cut it in the summer - they're too thick, obvious, and melt right off even with primer. This is amazing stuff and I might use it year round when the weather cools - we'll see.. Expensive, but worth it. FYI - I prime with MAC Prep+Prime SPF 50. I've tried just straight moisturizer and/or sunblock and it doesn't work as well. The neutral shade that I use is pretty much universally flattering on everyone, or so I'm told.

on 3/9/2012 9:38:00 AM

I agree with taz1946 and also remember pouring out some of the clear liquid in Shake-it for more coverage. I believe it was called Photo Finish. However, instead of throwing the liquid out, pour it into your light controlling lotion bottle, because that is what it is. I have used Erno Laszlo since the early 80's and although they have been bought out several times, and the products went though many changes (not all of them good), I believe they finally got it right again. Your skin will look better than you thought possible.

on 10/7/2011 9:27:00 PM

Age: 65
I've been using this product since my late 20s and it's the only form of makeup that doesn't make my face break out. It controls shine and doesn't run off your face in hot & humid Florida like so many products with water-attracting ingredients. Doesn't look like you have makeup on but evens out skin tone.

This really is just liquid powder, or more specifically, powder held in suspension. It doesn't really act or look like foundation per se, more like a good layer of powder.
You can only use it if your skin is quite oily because both the powder and alcohol are so drying. But if you do have a lot of oil and prefer a "no-makeup" look this is so worth trying! It wear well and stays matte nearly all day, depending on just how big a greaseball you really are. Also, if you remember the Clinique Pore Minimizer lotion from years ago, this is nearly identical. And yes, it does a hell of a job filling in pores. BTW I always apply it with my fingertips or a sponge. If you use cotton you'll blow through so much product and end up throwing a good lot of it away on the pad.

on 3/7/2011 4:43:00 PM

I didn't know much about EL when I first bought this but was surprised and very happy that I did. It is one of my must have products for the summertime. Sunscreens usually leave me a little bit oily and I've found that this is very good at countering that and leaving my skin with a matte, but not dry look. My skin is dry in the winter so I only use this in the summer. I don't know how well a job this does in terms of preventing acne blemishes though.

I just use my fingers and swipe it on my t -zone and blend outwards. It's weird at first but you'll get the hang of it quickly. Just work quickly and do small areas at a time.

A little pricey but it lasts a long time.

Popular Face Skincare Products