Erno Laszlo Shake-it [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Erno Laszlo Shake-it [DISCONTINUED]

4.6

Aqua (Water), Alcohol Denat. (Sd Alcohol 40-B), Calcium Carbonate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Talc, Glycerin, Citric Acid, Parfum (Fragrance), Denatonium Benzoate, Amyl Cinnamal, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Benzoate, Citronellol, Eugenol, Gerniol, Hydroxycitronellal, Isoeugenol, Limonene, Linalool, Ci 77491 Ci 77492 Ci 77499 (Iron Oxides), Ci 77947 (Zinc Oxide), Ci 77891 (Titanium Dioxide)

on 1/29/2017 7:51:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Are you perplexed by my five-star rating and then see that I would not repurchase? Simple answer: Laszlo no longer makes this product. The company has been bought and high-jacked by some absolute fools in search of the "younger market"..I say HA to that. Dr.Laszlo was the first doctor company and its many long-time followers are legion, so much so that when you go to Nordstrom reviews you see review after review from people who have been using this for five decades or more and you will also see that their daughters and granddaughters have become devotees as well. Originally the only way you could purchase this line was at Saks Fifth Avenue, you had to book an appointment, have your skin clocked (meaning skin type designation). After the 30-40 minute consultation, the ONLY way you could purchase was by buying ALL the products (you then became a member of the Laszlo Institute) recommended and for good reason, these products work synergistically and yes they really do or I should say did. Now everything has been reformulated with a lot trendy, meaningless ingredients. I spoke with their global brand ambassador who did work at Saks for forty years selling this line. Sadly this pioneering brand has decided to knuckle under to all this pre-cleanse/double cleanse phrasing which is ridiculous as Laszlo was the man who invented oil for makeup removal and then the appropriate soap for your skin type, the most important step in this regime is filling the basin with water as hot as you can tolerate, dip the bar of soap in the water, slide the wet bar all over your face and neck, dip the soap in the water again and work up the lather so you have lots of suds, place soap back in the dish and then start the splashing technique. Forty splashes in the what is known as 'treatment water', pat dry. I guarantee you have never known what truly clean skin feels like, all the splashes force water to flush out the pores and hydrate the skin, after all, moisture is water hence hydration. Pat the skin dry and follow with the appropriate toner/astringent. I am 63 years old and have used this since I was in my late teens my skin is soft as a baby's bottom and well hydrated. If you use Shake-it, Light controlling Lotion and/or Regular Controlling Lotion, fret not as the Janet Sartin company can replace the aforementioned. Miss Sartin's products are milder but effective for me. Many people have said that the Laszlo Sea-Mud soap is not the same classic formula, I am guessing they are probably correct. I hope I have been of help and if anyone knows of a Sea-Mud soap stand-in please put a review in here

on 3/6/2016 3:22:00 PM

A great product, but why a color change in the line? I have been using the palest shade of Shake It since 1966. It agrees with my combination sensitive fair skin in that with the Laszlo controlling face powder, it gives my skin a natural look and - very important - does not turn orange on me. Most foundations do. I'm sure I'm not alone in appreciating this quality, but I've just learned that Lazlo has eliminated it's fairest shade, called Porcelain for quite some time but not always - from the Shake It line. A new shade, Neutral, appears to be intended as a replacement, but Neutral has yellow in it per the color swatch on the Laszlo website. Back in the day, this line was a source of a brilliant range of shades in its color products. In this age of diversity, Laszlo appears to be moving backward, with increasingly diminished colors and color products. (An oil-free foundation product introduced in the '90s, I think it was, that looked wonderful over Shake It for more coverage - I used the cool, pale shade, Vanilla (0) - was replaced with a more expensive and less effective product that is harder to apply and looks muddy on my fair skin. ( And please stop the Sea Mud Soap in its new box from flaking and splitting - two bars in a row
so far.) I'm worried that the stalwart products in the Laszlo program and the good changes added to it over the years are being dropped and/or neglected in favor of a way to make a fast buck, and that the line will die off as a result. A sad prospect to this long-time fan.

I like it, but I'm not wowed by it, so I wouldn't buy again when (if) I ever finish the one I have.
I have it in shade Neutral, and it's a little too yellow for my NW15 skin even in summer time, with a slight tan. It's okay though, but I cannot see myself getting away with it in the winter time.
What I do like is that it keeps me relatively matte for most of the day, I only get oily in the evening, after 6 pm, after having it on for 11 hours and blotting once or twice mid-day. So it's a good product for hot summers, which is why I gave it the 4 lippies.
I tried using it as a base under my foundation, but it didn't work like that, it all felt gross and cakey.
The way I use it is by soaking a cotton ball into the mixture and applying all over the face, letting it dry for a minute or so, then going over it with my fingers to buff it in. Because it still looks powdery, I then spray some UD All Nighter on top, let it sit for a few seconds, then gently pat it in with my fingers - I find that this removes the powdery look and leaves my face matte, poreless and flawless. I also use a setting powder (Coty Airspun at the moment) on top.
As for coverage, I did pour out about half of the clear liquid (toner), this way the product is more concentrated and I can achieve a medium coverage. I haven't had any active pimples since I've started using it, so I don't know how it would cover them, but I have a feeling it might work. If not, a dab of concealer will do.
I have a feeling it also prevents breakouts, because the toner has alcohol in it and other stuff that apparently is good for the skin.
It has a faint scent but it doesn't linger at all, and it feels a bit drying, especially in the beginning, but the feeling subsides soon after.
As a negative, I find it does pool up in some pores, especially on my nose, but it's not obnoxiously obvious like with other foundations. Does it look like I'm wearing nothing? No. But it does look pretty natural, so it's all good.
I don't think it would be a good product for winter, when skin gets much drier, but I totally recommend it for summer, especially for those who don't need full coverage.
It is expensive, but I don't see myself running out of it anytime soon, so it's worth the price.

on 3/7/2011 4:43:00 PM

I didn't know much about EL when I first bought this but was surprised and very happy that I did. It is one of my must have products for the summertime. Sunscreens usually leave me a little bit oily and I've found that this is very good at countering that and leaving my skin with a matte, but not dry look. My skin is dry in the winter so I only use this in the summer. I don't know how well a job this does in terms of preventing acne blemishes though.

I just use my fingers and swipe it on my t -zone and blend outwards. It's weird at first but you'll get the hang of it quickly. Just work quickly and do small areas at a time.

A little pricey but it lasts a long time.

on 11/6/2009 8:51:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I have acne prone, oily skin. I'm extremely fair skinned (though I look a little orange in my photos lol). I bought this because Marilyn Monroe used this, and she always looked beautiful. It took a few days to get used to. I thought maybe the coverage was too light...but after looking at it for a while, I realized I was just used to unnecessarily heavy makeup. It covered most marks, though some needed concealer. It makes the black heads on my nose disappear. I mean it! My pores were just gone! Now it's a little easier for me to use, and I look so much better these days. I used to wear colorstay, which was always too dark and thick, but I thought I needed that opaque coverage. I wore colorstay once again this week....I wanted to cry. I looked awful! I must've looked like this for years! My face was orange and so thick and fake looking. Shake it really looks like nothing. I know a lot of people claim a certain foundation will look like your skin only better but I can tell you, I've tried them all and this is the only one that looks like real skin. It makes me look like I have baby skin, the kind I had before I hit puberty! Plus, I love that the color stays true, and it doesn't smudge around. I do get oily though after a few hours, but that happens even when I sleep lol. I use the duo phase loose powder over this to balance my skin out. It's perfect. If it weren't for Marilyn I'd never know about this!
You can touch your face with this, other people can touch your face with this. It's like nothing I've ever used! Also, it really has kept breakouts at bay. All foundations make me breakout, this clears them up! A+
EDIT: Found the best way to apply this for me is to put it on with a cotton round, wait to dry, then buff it in with my MAC 187. I imagine any brush like this would work. I like it much better than buffing with another cotton round. I still love this by the way, still no where near half way through my bottle! also, this works really well over ponds dry skin cream when I have dry patches from my differin.

It's a watery typed foundation that sweeps on like a toner. It's lightly alchohol like but it does offer thin coverage. I like it, but I'm not sure if it does a whole lot for me in the coverage area. However, my skin did look brighter and more even. Perhaps it takes time to 'set', but it's definitely a unique product.
-Mine is in the colour 'neutral'.

Pores? What pores?!
This product is fantastic at controlling oil and redness and makes my pores practically invisible!
I have really sensitive skin...no reaction yet.
Looks really nice under my foundation...I know some people use it by itself but I need extra coverage. Love love love!