Givenchy Very Irresistible

Givenchy Very Irresistible

3.7

on 1/9/2017 7:49:00 PM

I have become obsessed with Very Irresistible and its flankers. This is a glorious rose, kind of loud sillage and very perfumey, so not safe for work. Maybe that's part of the allure. When I wear this, I'm on MY time, wearing what pleases ME. It is, in a way, a scent of freedom.

There is a maddeningly complex, seemingly simple trio at work: rose essences/extracts/oils of the very best possible quality, a really subtle touch of anise, and then I think as a baseline, though it isn't always acknowledged in the notes, musk. From there the perfumers tinker. Sometimes lemon verbena, sometimes peony, sometimes spice, sometimes a bit of "wood," sometimes frank patchouli.

There are delicious flankers, these lovely harvest editions that privilege certain kinds of rose (the Bulgarian rose from 2005 is TO DIE for!). These harvest editions veer between damascena and centifolia, adding patch, leather, spice, green, fruity. The differences are very subtle but they're all lovely.

Then there are random specialty flankers like the 2013 collector edition which has supposedly 10 different kinds of rose essential oil used, and I believe it. This one unfolds in a slow, unbelievably complex and gorgeous scarf dance all day of different roses. One minute it's an apple-y centifolia, the next the unmistakeable densely aromatic Bulgarian rose, then a rich and in-your-face Turkish rose. Then there's Mes Envies, from 2015, another collector edition. This one is supposed to be a throwback to the very first edt edition, a simple rose, peony, anise edition that manages to be both powdery and rosey.

There are several different concentrations - edt, edp. I've never seen a parfum, which is a little surprising. The overall gestalt is rose, powder, a bit of hairspray-y musk that I find myself enjoying, heaven knows why. A subtle variation of roses, warm and delicious. Sometimes there's a powdery peony mediating. I never get the anise as anise, per se, but there's a layer of some kind of sharp spice, and I can work it back to anise. Some of the editions use patch, and it's never an annoying 'This Is PATCHOULI!" patch, or that ghastly, thin, recent perfumers' craze that too many of the Bonds are drenched in. No, a soft, French patch, subtle, warm.

It seems like this fragrance should be simple, but it isn't. Every variation is both the same, and nuanced. The Bulgarian 2005 rose one has a strong note of that distinctive Bulgarian rose that rises up just past drydown, and is unmistakeable. Some have a touch of green tea, which I kind of love. I haven't met one I didn't enjoy.

I should say that when I first met this fragrance, it hit me with a strong unlit tobacco note that made it unwearable for me. Very occasionally, that note returns, but generally, this is a lovely rose, full stop, with complicated musks and powders that give it a gorgeous, formal, French perfumey-ness. This is NOT the fragrance to wear around perfume haters! It has zero deniability - it is perfume, pure and simple, no pretense of soap here.

on 11/26/2016 4:09:00 AM

My all time favorite perfume!!i have a big collection of high end fragrances but this is my favorite.the smell is feminine,sexy,sweet and unique at the same time and I have a lot of compliments about it when I am wearing it.of course a fragrance smells a bit different on every body,so if you try it and you like it definately buy it!(a small trick to understand if a fragrance is marching your body,is if you don't smell it so intense after a few time you spray it on yourself,but people around you can smell it)

on 9/13/2015 11:05:00 AM

I LOVE this scent! It's got a great blend of different rose scents with verbena to keep it from becoming too floral. I'm a fan of scents with depth and that aren't just straight up floral or fruity. This scent perfectly marries the floral with what I can smell is a bit of musk which I love and a hint of fruit. One of my go to night time fragrances. It is longlasting and very powerful-I like to spray it on one wrist sort of far away, then rub it to the other wrist and my neck to prevent it from being too overpowering. It's beautiful and I think mature without being too old ladyish-a nice grown-up, I'm a woman-sexy scent. One of my favorites!

on 5/14/2015 6:27:00 AM

This was a nice classy,feminine perfume with a strong floral scent,middle note was rose but overall notes was musk (not a fan).
Lasts longer on clothes and hair than it does on skin. This scent fits more mature,strong ladys then teens.I enjoy it for a while then i got bored,i like more fresh-sunny perfumes.
Not a bad perfume but not for me.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I got a couple samples of this not knowing the scent prior. I didn't have any high hopes and I'm glad I didn't. This to me smells like a generic perfume. There isn't anything in this perfume that makes me go "WOW! This is amazing!". It isn't a bad perfume though, I can see more mature women being able to pull this off than women in their early twenties or teens. Also, I'm not a huge fan of a very musky scent and with this one, all I can smell is musk. I can smell a hint of rose in this but I feel that it is over taken by the musk. I would enjoy this more if I could smell the rose more than the musk personally. Not a bad perfume but not one I will be reaching for or planning on buying. If you are torn about this one, get a sample or two before purchasing and see if you like it before dishing the money out for it.

on 2/25/2016 4:36:00 AM

Back in the mid-90s this was my absolute favorite fragrance. Not only did I love the way I smelled on me, I would constantly get compliments from men and women. It smelled, as the name states, very irresistible on me. I wore this fragrance for many years. After a few years went by of not wearing the cologne, I decided to splurge and purchase another bottle. Boy was I disappointed. It smelled horrible on me and in general. At first, I thought perhaps that it had gone bad or expired. I returned it saying telling the vendor that it must be old or a counterfeit. My money was returned. Later, just to re-check, I tried it on a few other times in different department stores and again, I couldn't get the smell off soon enough. It was horrible. I don't know if Givenchy changed the recipe or if my body chemistry just changed since I know that is possible for your body to do so. If so, I don't even know how it would smell nice on anyone. It even made the air smell bad. I would really like to get to the bottom of this question that has been in the back of my mind for several years ago. If they did change the recipe, it is a shame because they turned something beautiful into something horrid. I don't know if anyone knows the true answer to my question but I would really like to know out of curiosity and because I really do miss my former favorite fragrance. There are a lot of really great fragrances out there and I enjoy all of mine so it's not like I have nothing else to chose from. It's just a shame that it smells so terrible now.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I used to think I liked rose fragrances, but not anymore...
At least, synthetic rose doesn't seem to do it for me. Smells like OFF bugspray. This particular scent is also rather powdery

This is such a classy, feminine scent. It embodies everything girl: my womanly curves and my long hair, my manicure, my dainty nose, my long lashes, my pretty lips. Everything about it says: woman. Sexy. Classy. To me, it epitomizes good taste, and tells the world and everyone who experiences my scent that I am feminine. I take care of myself.

I've been wearing this since I was around 13, and will never stop.

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I love this perfume! I'm currently on my second bottle.
This perfume has a very floral scent, so rosy. I find it is delicate and classy smell; very refreshing. It is not powdery or pungent like some fragrances can be (but the scent also depends on your body chemistry, as a perfume can smell lovely on one person, and not not so great on another).
This fragrance is not especially "girly"- not something a young teenager is likely to wear. This is a mature, rather womanly fragrance. It suits all occasions, casual or dressy, and all seasons.
It lasts a long time too. This perfume always get me compliments when I wear it, because it is truly 'irresistible.'
If you don't like floral scents, I urge you to get a sample packet of this, because this might be the fragrance that wins you over.

on 1/10/2015 6:06:00 AM

This is such a nice perfume for winter. I was a little bit intimidated by the smell from the bottle, but on my skin the scent changes into something milder, rose-milk is what I would call it. This was a present, it wasn`t something I would have chosen myself, but I am really enjoying the scent and would consider purchasing it again. I love the smell of roses, but somehow in most perfumes this scent can come off as too artificial and old-ladyish. This one is different, there is a youthful creaminess to it.

Popular Fragrances