Kiehl's Calendula Herbal Extract Alcohol-Free Toner

Kiehl's Calendula Herbal Extract Alcohol-Free Toner

3.6

Aqua / Water / Eau, Propylene Glycol, Pentylene Glycol, Methylparaben, Disodium Edta, Arctium Lappa Extract / Arctium Lappa Root Extract, Calendula Officinalis Extract / Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Calendula Officinalis / Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Hydrolyzed Corn Starch, Allantoin, Hedera Helix Extract - Ivy Leaf/Stem Extract, Althaea Officinalis / Althaea Officinalis Root Extract.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I used to work at kiehl's, and new employees are given 5 products gratis in addition to being allowed to take home products to try. Kiehl's wants employees to know their stuff, which is great! I chose this toner as one of my gratis partially due to the fact that it was $60 (big bottle, few years ago--not sure on price now,) but it also was suited to my combo, clog prone skin. It's very gentle, and the lack of alcohol is awesome.

So why only 2 stars? First of all, I've found a much better alcohol-free toner that is way cheaper, easier to find, even more gentle, and multi-use. Thayer's witch hazel, with rose. The most aggravating thing about this toner, for me, is how grossly inflated the price is. My manager said it costs about $0.30 to make the calendula toner. Thirty freaking cents, and they charge $60 (again, this is the big bottle and price from a few years ago). I understand ALL companies do this, I really do, but really! It doesn't even contain any active ingredients, like glycolic or even plain old salicylic acid, to justify the cost. It's a very basic toner with a very high price, and I encourage you to check out thayer's alcohol free toners instead (I get mine from vitamin shoppe for about $8, but it can be found cheaper online quite easily.)

I have acne prone and oily skin. I tried this about two years ago back when I was 18 or 19. I really had high hopes for this toner because my friend recommended it to me. I bought it together with the Kiehls blue herbal cleanser and the kiehls oil free moisturizing gel. Couple of days after I started using it, 2 big bumps appeared on my forehead. I actually thought that my face was purging but I still decided to continue using it. Sadly, after a couple of weeks my face was covered in red cystic acne. It took me almost a year for my face to be clear from acne scarring. Hope this review helps

on 6/26/2005 10:40:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Gosh, this stuff IS expensive! I got the 4oz for CAD$28 *jar drops* & I've been using it for about a week now. I love how it smells like herbal tea. :) It feels really gentle & it's alcohol free so I won't have to worry about it drying out my skin. I have oil & acne prone sensitive skin & the Blue Herbal Astringent was too harsh on me, so I exchanged it for this one. I've also been using this stuff on my chest, which is also prone to acne-like pumps, & my chest looks like it's clearing up! Although this toner could possibly be the most expensive toner on the market, it's the only toner that I have actually liked. I will probably repurchase, unless I find something cheaper & works as lovely. Will update after I use the entire 4oz bottle. *UPDATE* So I've finished the 4oz bottle, & switched to using DDF Glycolic 10% Toner, & it's SO MUCH BETTER! I heart DDF. Will NOT be repurchasing Calendula Toner, ever.:P

on 11/5/2016 1:55:00 AM

Ok please if you have acne prone skin do not use!!! This caused thee worst breakout of cystic acne I've ever had in my life. I've only been using it for a week, I had high hopes for this toner. I regret not reading the reviews prior to buying this.

on 7/27/2007 3:40:00 PM

I always keep coming back to this one and believe me, I have tried lots of upmarket toners (Clarins, Elemis etc.). I think if you have sensitive skin, especially with a T-zone tending towards oily, there is nothing better. My skin was in a really bad state beginning June after a very stressful time at work (no day off for over a month - that's freelancing for you sometimes...) and this in conjunction with the Estee Lauder Verite Calming Fluid made a world of difference. Within a few weeks my skin was smooth and blemish free. I have just run out and have ordered my new bottle from the Kiehls store in London (hard to get here in England) and can't wait for it to arrive... I sometimes also use the cucumber toner, but this one is far superior. And I have to admit, I even like the packaging with the floating flower petals in the bottle!

on 4/15/2013 7:03:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This was so expensive but irritated my skin as if it had alcohol! My skin was red upon application and remained red and in the end I couldn't stand it anymore and washed my face again. Did not find it calming in any way, my Simple toner is much better than this in calming my sensitive, acne prone skin.

17th May Update

Ok, I changed from my original one star to three stars. When I used it last time I had an allergy and wanted it to calm my skin but it didn't work. My skin has calmed down now and I tried it again. It feels comfortable on my skin but it doesn't give any spectacular effects.

on 2/1/2013 4:07:00 PM

I never wanted to like this because of the price. It is 49$ for 250ml in Canada which is ridiculous, if you ask me, for something that doesn't claim to do much. And yet, I found myself buying a bottle.

I'll be honest. I wasn't very impressed with this stuff when I tried it because it didn't seem to do anything, but after giving it a try for a few months I came to love it. This is a product that my skin seems to welcome when its feeling a little under the weather. Its that simple. Its like comfort food to the skin. If my skin is irritated, dry, or just needs a pick me up, this is the perfect thing to put on. My skin feels instantly comforted and ready to take on the world. It absorbs well and feels moisturizing. Moisturizers/serums seem to absorb better with this on, it calms irritated skin (reduce redness/inflammation), it does not clog your pores and it does not interfere with other products. It doesn't seem like much but this toner has definitely earned a spot in my skincare shelf!

Edit: This toner was not moisturizing enough for me during extreme dry/cold winters but it was great during other times of the year.

I have to be honest I was attracted to this at the first sight because of the floating flowers in the bottle. It is a good toner, very soothing, hydrating and claiming. I also love the smell of the toner. In the summer I actually use it as a hydrating mask by soaking paper mask or cotton pads with this toner. I don't really see it does anything to the oil T-zone or enlarged pores, as it claims, but I do find an improvement on my skin texture. Also, my skin tends to have less breakout while using this toner and even I have occasional blemishes, they become much smaller in size and I rarely have the rock-hard spot anymore. The only thing that keeps me from using it long term is the price! It is at 34.50/250ml or 50/500ml. I mean, it doesn't even cost that much to buy some of their serums! I guess I will buy it on and off when I feel like a little bit of a luxurious treat or when I am in the duty free!

Oh man, was I scared to try this toner! My skin does NOT react well to "botanicals". Give me the fake stuff!
This toner, however, is really nice and calming. A slight tingle, not at all stripping or stinging and makes my skin feel really clean and ready for moisturizer!

As I have said in my other reviews, I have probably the worst skin on the planet, oily but moisture deprived, acne, rosacea, red and angry and highly sensitive to products!

I have been using a retinol treatment, and my derm. ordered me to not try anything with any fragrances or acids or anything that would cause my skin to be more peelie. I was using Cetaphil under his request, but my skin was so tight and unhappy I knew I had to do something!

I went to the kiehl's store and was impressed at the overall atmosphere and recieved outstanding customer service from a very professional and kind woman who really listened to me. How often does that happen? She practically DISCOURAGED me from buying anything until I had a chance to try some samples. She recommended the Ultra Facial Cleanser, Calendula Toner, and Ultra Facial Moisturizer! I love them all!

on 10/29/2018 5:56:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This toner is absolutely useless.
At the moment I have skin that’s close to normal with a tad drier forehead and oilier chin with lots of acne. Plus it’s rather sensitive and gets red quickly. And this toner does nothing for it.
Moisturising? No. Soothing? No. Any help with acne? Absolutely none.
I’ve bought it hoping that it would help with pimples and sensitivity and will replace my favourite calendula toner from Holika Holika (out of production now). But it’s not only not as good as it but does nothing for a much higher price tag.
You’d say that the toner’s work is hard to notice but somewhat I did with Holika Holika, Origins (Megamushroom lotion) and Indie Lee’s toners.
Apart from the ridiculous disproportion between price and quality that Kiehl’s toner also has a rather lame ingredients list. Methylparaben is 4th in the list. Not so much for actual calendula left.
Conclusion: save your money, the toner is crap.