3.6

package quality

price range

Reviews

a year ago

One of my favorite winter deep conditioners for my natural 4c type hair. This stuff has the consistency of buttery toothpaste and smells of mineral oil but its a staple for me when the weather is cold and dry. Its very cheap (around 3 or 4$ per tub) and accessible so you can pick it up at the local beauty supply/big box store or any well stocked hair supply store. Light yellow color but nothing that will stain your clothes. Its very thick so applying it on wet hair is a must. Very rich product so fine haired people of any texture may want to keep it pushing and leave this for thicker hair. I dont need this much in the hot summer but when that cold fall/winter air hits I break this stuff out after a shampoo. It also works well with other products so if you want to add an oil or mix with another conditioner for an extra treatment you can do that too. I leave this stuff on for at least 15 minutes but if I have time Ill go a full hour. Smells like miniral oil but it dosn't linger in the hair too much after rinsing it out. Plus my leave ins usually take over anyway since they are scented as well. My hair always feels moisturized but not greasy or weighed down after using this which is a big plus for me An oldie but goodie for sure!

About reviewer (24 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinDry, Medium Brown, Warm

HairBlack, Kinky, Coarse

2 years ago

This stuff is pretty darn great for the ridiculously low price, and I highly recommend you give it a try. It smells strongly of lilacs and the packaging is basic, but I'm fine with that. I'm on my second jar. I use it once a week. First I wash my hair and towel dry. Then do a Olaplex 3 treatment. I rinse out the Olaplex, towel dry, and put on a keratin treatment (ApHogee TWO MINUTE INTENSIVE KERATIN RECONSTRUCTOR). I sit under my bonnet drier for 10 - 15 minutes, then rinse thoroughly. After towel drying I slather on a mix of Queen Helene Cholesterol, castor oil, argan oil, avocado oil, and camellia oil. I sit under my bonnet drier for 30 - 60 minutes then rinse thoroughly. Sometimes I put a towel on my pillow, put my hair in a pony tail and leave the cholesterol on all night before rinsing. It leaves my seriously damaged (bleached) hair soft, shiny, and bouncy instead of dry, brittle, dull, lifeless, and straw-like. On the con side: it does leave my hair "greasy" no matter how long and thoroughly I rinse. I'm sitting under the drier right now and I think I'll use my Briogeo Be Gentle, Be Kind Avocado + Quinoa Co–Wash after rinsing. Maybe a gentle co-wash at the roots will take care of that 'greasy" feel after using the Queen Helene.

About reviewer (36 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinVery Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrunette, Wavy, Fine

4 years ago

This is a pretty good basic deep conditioner if you have really dry hair. I initially heard about this product from a friend years ago when we were talking about how to get our horse's tails to grow very long!! She said to look for it in the "black" product section and sure enough that it were I found it. It worked wonders for the horse tails to be washed and then generously comb this through the tails and braid them up. When you took the tails down a couple weeks later they were amazing. So now I am growing my own hair really long, nearly waist length right now and thick with fair amount of curl. I live in a very rural area and really don't have access to ethnic products but finally found this at a dollar general. It was under $3. I basically work it through my damp hair and braid it overnight before a shampoo day. It feels a bit waxy/greasy while in but after washing our my hair was very soft and had good sheen. Not bad for a very low $$ product.

About reviewer (2 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair

HairBrunette

EyesGreen

4 years ago

Omg... this product was a life saver. No exaggeration. I was a crying mess when I got out of the salon, BOTH times. I was tired of my dark roots, blonde hair with lowlights. I asked my stylist to bring me back to my light colored roots. She suggested I don't do that...but I pressed on. It looked awful. She thre in more lowlights. My roots were orange and I looked like a Bengal tiger! Now I can laugh as I kept saying, "Im Tigger cuz Tiggers bounsssth." Back to the salon I went and to fix, she did a heavy foil and bleach on the roots.... Sure my hair was blonde all over like it use to be years ago....except it wasn't fried before! My hair was never fried! It was straw and very frizzed at the end. I couldn't stop crying as I was sure I would have to get a short hair cut. A friend told me about this product and I was so skeptical. She told me to slather that stuff in abundance, apply shower cap and sleep overnight. Well that was exactly what I did! I cannot believe how it transformed my hair. I am still in shock. I can't believe how this has helped. I rinsed it out under luke warm water.....no shampoo. It rinsed easily. My friend said it might be a bit greasy......but my hair wasn't AT ALL! My dry straw head soaked all that up! I did another treatment later that day and rinsed again....no shampoo. It was slightly built up at the root but the rest was smooth, soft, and healthy looking. There are still a few pieces that are dry, but not NEARLY as bad or as much as it was prior to treatment. It doesn't smell bad and I don't care what the packaging is. It stopped me from crying and cutting all my hair off!!!! I am truly grateful for this product and will use it frequently and part of my hair regimen for the rest of my life lol.

Age44-55

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairBlond, Other, Other

EyesGreen

4 years ago

I've been using this as a deep conditioner since the 8th grade (many moons ago) and I'll forever Love it. Within the past two years I've tried different conditioners but, I always go back to the holy grail of deep conditioner; Queen Helen. You can mix it with your favorite oils for extra benefits too! If you haven't, give it a try. You'll Love it ????????

Age30-35

SkinCombination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

HairBrown, Curly, Other

4 years ago

I actually like this this smells FWIW ;) it's a granny product like I like products like Olay original beauty fluid, seabreeze, youth dew bath oil (as perfume) et al stuff that's generations tried & true! I used this 4 the 1st time in years (used to get this as a treatment @ a beauty college when I would bleach my hair platinum)...Imma try it for shaving! What I did was use it as a pre poo treatment on dry dirty hair my hair just sucked it in so I put some more on! Then I put a shower cap on & blasted high heat from my hair dryer for a cpl mins & let it sit for about 30 mins, washed out w V05 poo/cond w very hot water. I was scared from reading here it would be hard 2rinse out but it came out fast & I styled my hair as usual it's soft & I will try to use it 1x a week as I wash my hair ev 4-5 days but my hair has hi-lites extrm fine & tryna grow it out. It feels soft & a bit weighed down but I expected as much as this is very emollient. I'm sure it will style better tomorrow. Will update! Can get this in ethnic haircare section (I got mine at Family $).

About reviewer (2417 reviews)

SkinOther, Other, Not Sure

HairOther, Other, Other

EyesOther

1.0

4 years ago

I'm writing this to warn others. This product is the worst thing you can put in my hair. It has the texture of grease and the smell made me nauseous. It was difficult to get through my hair because it made the texture of my hair rough. It was difficult to wash out, and it made my hair so dry that it's breaking off at the slightest touch. It will cause undesirable damage to your hair. I don't even know why a product like this is still being sold.

Age25-29

SkinNormal, Medium Brown

HairBlack

5 years ago

Wow. I've only used this once and was hesitant to write a review so soon but I seriously felt compelled to! My hair is dry, tangled, and kind of frizzy from bleaching it from black to a light brown ombré. I used other deep conditioners but they didn't seem to really do much. Well, I'm in beauty school and my instructor suggested I get some of this and leave it in for a few hours so that's exactly what I did. I put it on dry, clean hair, twisted it up into a bun, and let it sit for about an hour and a half. I then shampooed and conditioned as normal. LORD. I could tell as soon as I took my hair down from the bun that it felt incredible. My hair is SO soft and hardly has any tangles; it just drank this stuff up. I honestly wasn't expecting a miracle since this product was so inexpensive but I am highly impressed. I plan on using this about once a week so my hair continues to feel fabulous!

About reviewer (162 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinOily, Fair, Neutral

HairBlack, Other, Other

5 years ago

I've used quite a few different deep conditioners and this has become HG status for me. This is a really great deep conditioning treatment for over-processed hair at a very affordable price(I paid $4.89 for a 15 oz tub). My hair is quite dry from coloring and past highlighting. I use this once every two weeks. I shampoo my hair, towel dry it, and then I slather this on my hair concentrating on my lengths and ends. I use a wide tooth comb to ensure even distribution, then I cover my head with a plastic processing cap and wrap a warm towel from the dryer to gently apply heat. I leave this on for about 40 minutes, at the midway point I wrap a freshly warmed towel around my head. Then I rinse it out with warm water. Once it's rinsed out I do a final rinse with cool water to seal the cuticle. My hair afterwards feels so smooth and soft. Great treatment at an incredibly affordable price. Highly recommend!

About reviewer (115 reviews)

SkinDry, Olive, Warm

HairBrunette, Straight, Medium

5 years ago

My hair is naturally very dry and slightly wavy and extremely prone to damage- this product is a life saver. My hair has never felt better; it is less frizzy, smoother, more shiny, and so soft. I disregard the directions and use the cream before I shampoo and leave it on under a cap for about an hour. I also put heat on it a few times. Then I shampoo and condition as normal. The smell of this product doesn't bother me or seem very strong, but I do wish it's packaging was a bit nicer. For the low cost I don't really mind it!

About reviewer (16 reviews)

Age19-24