Ben Nye Ben Nye Cake Eyeliner

Ben Nye Cake Eyeliner in black

4.8

Price: $

Price: $

Talc, Propylene Glycol, CL No. 7704 (Kaolin), PEG-8, PVP, Choleth-24, Ceteth-24, Emulsifying wax, Phenoxyethanol

on 11/19/2012 2:25:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This eyeliner take the proverbial cake (pun intended). I have not used a better liner and I've tried ALL kinds. I have this in black and it is fantastic! Great, deep black color; liner does not budge; I always have a perfect line and it stays on for at least 12-14 hours. Never once have I had this smudge, not even when sleeping. (Yes, I know, I should take off my makeup before bed.)

My trick is to dip the brush into a tiny amount of aloe vera gel and then dip into the liner and voila - perfectly jet black perfect line. Love it.

on 7/14/2012 6:32:00 AM

I have experimented with pencil, gel and liquid liners. This cake eyeliner blows them all out of the water. I bought the black and eggplant cake liner along with Ben Nye Liquiset. The black is a matte black and the eggplant is a purple with a reddish tint.

Pros:
- Control: You can use this to make everything from delicate to dramatic looks. You can adjust the amount of liquid to change the pigmentation (it is very very pigmented).
- Longevity: With Liquiset, it lasts all day, even with my oily lids. There is absolutely no creasing or smudging through 14+ hour days.
- Ease of use: It takes a minimal amount of practice to work out how to best use water/liquiset to make the line you require with the least amount of mess. After that, it's as easy as can be. There's rarely a need to go over your line again, application is smooth, touching up is simple with a gentle eye makeup remover and Q-tip.
- Value for money: Each pot was about $7 and Liquiset cost $6. Each use makes the smallest of dents, so I envision that this will last me for years of daily use. It's not going to dry out as a liquid or gel liner might.
- No irritation: I have quite sensitive eyes and eyelids and I've yet to experience even the slightest irritation.

Cons: These really aren't cons to me, but they may influence some people
- Portability: It's less convenient to carry around than a pencil, but if you're happy to use water instead of a sealant, then it's reasonable.
- Availability in Australia: As far as I know, it's significantly cheaper to buy from a website and pay for shipping than to buy it here.
- Colours available: There's only a few colours, unfortunately.

How I use it: I shake my Liquiset jar and open it up. I dip my clean ELF Studio Smudge/Precision brush or Ecotools Angled brush into the small amount of liquid stuck to the lid. I then apply as desired and clean off the lid with a Q-tip before closing it. I touch up if needed with some oil-free gentle eye makeup remover.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

love this product i use ben nye final seal to set it and it last all day and no raccoon eyes ..

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

It's my favourite eyeliner right now. I've been applying it daily for about 6 months now. It's soo dark and it comes on and off nicely. It doesn't cake and I usually wear it from around 10 a.m. till like 10 p.m. at night. It's really black and really easy to put on in my opinion, kinda like liquid eyeliner but way nicer. The only downside is that it comes off in water like if I was crying it'll leave a black tear streak on my face and I can't apply it to my waterline :c but overall it's soo great, I probably just need to buy the BenNye LiquiSet to go with it. So far I've been using the Medusa Eyeliner Seal.

Skin: Normal, Other, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

All I can say is W.O.W.!!! After wearing eyeliner for 22 years, I have finally found my HG eyeliner, Ben Nye Cake Eyeliner in Black. Over the last 2 decades, I have used pencil, kohl, liquid, gel, cream, mousse and other cake eyeliners but none of them, none of them, come close to the results I get from Ben Nye’s Cake Eyeliner.

This eyeliner is quick drying, long wearing, is easy to control & apply, and after wearing this eye liner for a few months, I have never experienced any smudging, flaking, creasing or fading. I would swear this cake liner is made of powdered coal (although it isn’t) for it is the blackest black eyeliner that I have ever seen and used. The durability of this cake eyeliner is to die for because I can apply it on my un-primed oily (think, oil slick) eye lids and once this eyeliner dries it does not budge till I remove it and I love the dramatic look that I get once I apply this eyeliner. This cake eyeliner is a bargain for $6 for a 2 gram jar from eBay, however, I purchased the professional size 5.5 gram jar from eBay for $9 and with regular use this eyeliner will probably last me a couple of years since you only need a few swipes to line both eyes. I love this eyeliner!

As with all cake eyeliners, you have to get used to the application of the product and how wet to get the brush – by the way, IMO you should use an eyeliner sealer with all cake eyeliner products to get the full benefits of the liner. Also, if you have any experience using liquid liners, then the application of a cake eyeliner will be old hat once you apply it a couple of times – the same technique but a better product IMHO.

I can not sing the praises of this eyeliner loud enough, but suffice it to say, if you haven’t already tried this product, please do so immediately and you can thank me later for the referral.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS PRODUCT I AM A TOTAL MAKEUP JUNKIE BUT FINDING THE PERFECT EYELINER HAS ALWAY BEEN A PROBLEM I DON'T USE PENCIL LINERS BECAUSE I HAVE SMALL EYE LIDS AND I WOULD ALWAYS WIND UP WITH A BLACK/BROWN LINE UNDER MY EYE BROW FROM MY PENCIL LINERS I READ SOME REVIEWS PURCHASE BEN NYES CAKE LINER AND I FELL IN LOOOOOOOOVE I MIX IT WITH MEDUSAS WATER RESISTANT EYELINER SEALANT AND USE THE BEN NYE EYELINER BRUSH AND WOW GREAT RESULTS!!!

When mixed with Ben Nye LiquiSet Mixing Liquid this eyeliner becomes water resistant and will remain as applied even if hot weather until you're ready to remove it.

Awesome value for money, goes on easily, precisely with MAC 210.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is my first cake liner and it is the best eyeliner I've ever used. I applied w/ a wet (just water) Sonia Kashuk bent liner brush and application was much easier then liquid or gel. It goes on a beautiful matte black and it lasts! I have super oily lids with a tiny Asian crease, so almost all liners smudge and leave ugly smudge marks on my upper crease. I tested this w/o primer or sealer and this lasted all day with only a tiny barely noticable smudge...LOVE IT!
*UPDATE* Tested it again on my bare lids applied with just water, but this time in warmer weather and it did melt on me a lil, but it wasn't terrible. Still love it.
*UPDATE2* It's been a couple months now and this has become my HG eyeliner! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

on 1/8/2009 3:58:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

This is the first time I've used a cake eyeliner, and I can tell you, it's far easier than cream, gel, liquid or pencil liners! I've used this water and with La Femme's Eye Sealant and both work great. It's extremely easy to control the thickness of the liner and perfect it without messing it up, because it's creamy and smooth. I use SK's bent eyeliner brush which gives me the greatest control. No points for not being WP as that was not my intention in buying this product. Lasts all day, no stinging, no crumbling, no flaking, no dullness to its finish.

on 10/27/2007 4:44:00 PM

I now exclusively use this as my liquid eyeliner.

The price for this generous long lasting pot is only $5-6!! I would never find anything in Sephora for that price!

I use black and it is a rich, true pigmented black. Perfect! I was using so many other liners that are 'watery', like L'Oreal Voluminous marker eyeliner, and odd off blacks that are more brown or blue.

I bought this at Alcone with their eyeliner brush and it was so easy to put on! I'm not kidding, I was astounded at myself at how well I put it on. I've always had so much trouble with all those felt tip pens, Lancome's Artliner, and chunky markers, L'oreal's Voluminous marker, as well as those tiny brushes. Using the proper tools made this soo much better and I can control the width of the line a lot better.

It is not water proof, but so long as you don't get caught in the rain or cry you'll be ok. In any case, I put my sister's She Laq just in case for a concert I went to and it didn't move, and we got caught in the rain.

I'm officially giving up my fascination with Sephora and so called 'high end' makeup in favor of theater makeup like Ben Nye and Kryolan.

Just wanted to add, this is apparently a fav staple of many makeup artists.

EDIT: I don't think they make this in a dark navy blue. I tried looking at several sites and they don't seem to have it. Wish they did tho!