Ben Nye Ben Nye Cake Eyeliner

Filtered by hair type : Straight
Ben Nye Ben Nye Cake Eyeliner
Ben Nye Cake Eyeliner in black

4.8

Talc, Propylene Glycol, CL No. 7704 (Kaolin), PEG-8, PVP, Choleth-24, Ceteth-24, Emulsifying wax, Phenoxyethanol

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I have the black one and used it with Ben Nye's Liquiset,which made my eyes water,so i did the water glycerin trick.With both methods de liner didn't stay put at my inner eye corners.I didn't want to give up this beautiful eyeliner.It applies like a dream,without tugging my skin and found a method that works for me.I apply it only with water(it stays put all day on rest of my upper eyelid,except inner corners) and in the inner eye corners i use bobbi brown black gel liner,NOT Ben Nye's!Bobbi Brown stays put and is slightly lighter in color.I apply 2 layers of BN cake liner to make the black stand out,but i always do that with every cake or gel liner.It's a very intense black and gives a matte result,which i like.It doesn't irritate my eyes and with my application method it's simply be removed with water

on 7/14/2012 4:35:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I've always preferred a cake eyeliner and after my old ones bit the dust, I decided to try the Ben Nye. Excellent quality, last well, give good control. I just use water, but may try the LiquiSet. I got 3 colors (charcoal, dark brown, and black), and want to get the blue and lighter brown as well. They go on deeper in color than you might expect from the website. The flip top case is difficult for me to open most of the time, the only downside to this product. Overall excellent value for the price. If you favor cake eyeliners, go get Ben Nye.

on 7/14/2012 6:32:00 AM

I have experimented with pencil, gel and liquid liners. This cake eyeliner blows them all out of the water. I bought the black and eggplant cake liner along with Ben Nye Liquiset. The black is a matte black and the eggplant is a purple with a reddish tint.

Pros:
- Control: You can use this to make everything from delicate to dramatic looks. You can adjust the amount of liquid to change the pigmentation (it is very very pigmented).
- Longevity: With Liquiset, it lasts all day, even with my oily lids. There is absolutely no creasing or smudging through 14+ hour days.
- Ease of use: It takes a minimal amount of practice to work out how to best use water/liquiset to make the line you require with the least amount of mess. After that, it's as easy as can be. There's rarely a need to go over your line again, application is smooth, touching up is simple with a gentle eye makeup remover and Q-tip.
- Value for money: Each pot was about $7 and Liquiset cost $6. Each use makes the smallest of dents, so I envision that this will last me for years of daily use. It's not going to dry out as a liquid or gel liner might.
- No irritation: I have quite sensitive eyes and eyelids and I've yet to experience even the slightest irritation.

Cons: These really aren't cons to me, but they may influence some people
- Portability: It's less convenient to carry around than a pencil, but if you're happy to use water instead of a sealant, then it's reasonable.
- Availability in Australia: As far as I know, it's significantly cheaper to buy from a website and pay for shipping than to buy it here.
- Colours available: There's only a few colours, unfortunately.

How I use it: I shake my Liquiset jar and open it up. I dip my clean ELF Studio Smudge/Precision brush or Ecotools Angled brush into the small amount of liquid stuck to the lid. I then apply as desired and clean off the lid with a Q-tip before closing it. I touch up if needed with some oil-free gentle eye makeup remover.

on 12/19/2011 11:40:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

HG Eyeliner. No doubt. I have oily lids. Extremely sensitive skin. I work in hot electrical closets doing physical work. I sweat at the drop of a hat. I'm a tomboy, but I enjoy *trying* to look feminine. This stuff makes my eyes pop. (Instead of the freckled 'mole' look I sport rolling out of bed)

Ben Nye stuff is incredible quality. (Remember the sensitive skin?)
People think "theatrical" makeup quality is crappy. That is so wrong. I'll take Ben Nye over MAC every day of the week.
I have 3 of BN's cake eye liners: Black, Dark Brown & Brown. I got them from a Theatrical Supply place in Dallas. I had to call around before I found a place that had it in stock - but it was worth the time I spent looking.

To use: I have a small shot glass I half fill w/ water and pump in two squirts of Ben Nye's 'LiquiSet' (helps set), then wet very fine eye-liner brush (MAC 210) and drag the wet brush in the dry (feels somewhat hard) Ben Nye cake makeup. You will see the color getting on the brush - then apply!
You can control the amount you get on the brush, & on your eyelid.

It stays on me all day & into my evening. If I go to sleep with it on, quite a bit will still be there when I wake.

I use the Brown daily, & the Dark Brown and Black for special events.
I've been using the Brown for over a year & have not had to purchase a second pot yet.

I bought my 68 year old Mother the BN black cake eye liner. She had been using the Laura Mercier version of this. She loves this, especially after I told her what I paid for it. She tends to apply eye makeup like Tammy Faye Baker did...so now it will at least stay in place for her all day and repurchasing for her will be inexpensive.

I would definitely purchase this product again.

[ BTW - other Ben Nye products stay on quite long as well. They are supposed to! They were created to be used on actors for film & stage. Think a primadonna actress or news anchor will put up with something that breaks her out? Or looks less than flawless on an HD broadcast?

I probably sound like an ad for them, but I have spent SOO much money on Bobbi Brown, MAC, Clinique, Laura Mercier & Shiseido over the years, & now I not only find a line that looks good and stays on - but it's SOO inexpensive! The only downside I can see is that it is difficult to find them to buy in person. ]

I uploaded 2 pics - the first one is in "brown" the second one is in "black".

This is honestly the very best eyeliner out there - forget fluidline and L'oreal HIP as long as you don't go swimming. It's a pitty the cake eyeliners are not waterproof but for every day work and school they are the best products out there because they are so extremely easy to apply and cover 100% in one application.

I just dipp my eyeliner brust into some water and then dry it a little on a paper towel - pick up some colour and I am ready to apply. Good things about this product - highly pigmented, can't dry out because its already pressed powder pigment :) therefore much much longer useable compared to fluid eyeliners that dry out quickly sometimes.

The black eyeliner applies similar to the NYX black eyeshadow that I used before as an eyeliner but the staying power of the cake eyeliners is much better especially in the inner eye corner area.

The brown colour is perfect for the natural more nude look - if you just want to intensify your eyes but not overdo them - that's the right colour for you girls. I used it with toast E/S and golden apricot E/S and it really is amazing nice and natural. You can really experiment with brown cake eyeliner - maybe just put on vanilla E/S and this eyeliner and some brown mascara and get a really nude nude beautiful look.

on 8/28/2007 8:17:00 PM

VERY nice product! On my quest to find a less expensive version of my beloved Laura Mercier cake eyeliner, I bought this. I have also tried LaFemme cake eyeliner and while it's ok, it wasn't nearly as creamy as LM and didn't apply as smoothly. Enter Ben Nye. I got this in Dark Brown, which is a very good match to LM's mahogany. I also used it with Ben Nye Liquiset. So far, all day, looks just as great as early this morning. It applied smoothly and had a comparable creamy application consistency of LM. So far, it's a love affair! I will definitely repurchase. Took off one lippie only because it's a rather small package.