Ben Nye Ben Nye Cake Eyeliner

Filtered by skin type : Sensitive
Ben Nye Ben Nye Cake Eyeliner
Ben Nye Cake Eyeliner in black

4.5

Talc, Propylene Glycol, CL No. 7704 (Kaolin), PEG-8, PVP, Choleth-24, Ceteth-24, Emulsifying wax, Phenoxyethanol

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

These are nothing special and not worth the special order. I think I could have found as good at the drugstore or Sally's. They are hard cakes with little dust throw but they don't last all day, are not waterproof or even super long lasting even with using their Liquiset that is supposed to make them long lasting. My lines were fading and chipping off after 6 hours. I bought black, gray, eggplant and brown. None are remarkable, just average and the company that sells them will not take returns. Wish I'd just sprung for the Laura Mercier cake liners that I have been eyeing forever. The only thing that is ok is that they were $8 each.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I have the black one and used it with Ben Nye's Liquiset,which made my eyes water,so i did the water glycerin trick.With both methods de liner didn't stay put at my inner eye corners.I didn't want to give up this beautiful eyeliner.It applies like a dream,without tugging my skin and found a method that works for me.I apply it only with water(it stays put all day on rest of my upper eyelid,except inner corners) and in the inner eye corners i use bobbi brown black gel liner,NOT Ben Nye's!Bobbi Brown stays put and is slightly lighter in color.I apply 2 layers of BN cake liner to make the black stand out,but i always do that with every cake or gel liner.It's a very intense black and gives a matte result,which i like.It doesn't irritate my eyes and with my application method it's simply be removed with water

on 12/19/2011 11:40:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

HG Eyeliner. No doubt. I have oily lids. Extremely sensitive skin. I work in hot electrical closets doing physical work. I sweat at the drop of a hat. I'm a tomboy, but I enjoy *trying* to look feminine. This stuff makes my eyes pop. (Instead of the freckled 'mole' look I sport rolling out of bed)

Ben Nye stuff is incredible quality. (Remember the sensitive skin?)
People think "theatrical" makeup quality is crappy. That is so wrong. I'll take Ben Nye over MAC every day of the week.
I have 3 of BN's cake eye liners: Black, Dark Brown & Brown. I got them from a Theatrical Supply place in Dallas. I had to call around before I found a place that had it in stock - but it was worth the time I spent looking.

To use: I have a small shot glass I half fill w/ water and pump in two squirts of Ben Nye's 'LiquiSet' (helps set), then wet very fine eye-liner brush (MAC 210) and drag the wet brush in the dry (feels somewhat hard) Ben Nye cake makeup. You will see the color getting on the brush - then apply!
You can control the amount you get on the brush, & on your eyelid.

It stays on me all day & into my evening. If I go to sleep with it on, quite a bit will still be there when I wake.

I use the Brown daily, & the Dark Brown and Black for special events.
I've been using the Brown for over a year & have not had to purchase a second pot yet.

I bought my 68 year old Mother the BN black cake eye liner. She had been using the Laura Mercier version of this. She loves this, especially after I told her what I paid for it. She tends to apply eye makeup like Tammy Faye Baker did...so now it will at least stay in place for her all day and repurchasing for her will be inexpensive.

I would definitely purchase this product again.

[ BTW - other Ben Nye products stay on quite long as well. They are supposed to! They were created to be used on actors for film & stage. Think a primadonna actress or news anchor will put up with something that breaks her out? Or looks less than flawless on an HD broadcast?

I probably sound like an ad for them, but I have spent SOO much money on Bobbi Brown, MAC, Clinique, Laura Mercier & Shiseido over the years, & now I not only find a line that looks good and stays on - but it's SOO inexpensive! The only downside I can see is that it is difficult to find them to buy in person. ]

Seriously, this is the best eyeliner out there. I like eyeliner, and I didn't discover this eyeliner until I was looking into doing makeup for other people for photo shoots. I'd always bought the expensive stuff, and usually liquid or cream eyeliners. Then I bought this, because the cake form makes it possible to keep things hygienic. I wasn't expecting much because it's so cheap (and lasts forever), but wow.... seriously. Wow. So good. So easy to apply. Beautifully pigmented. Cheap as hell.

It isn't waterproof if you just use it with water, but if you use it with a sealing liquid, it lasts forever. Amazing stuff. I wish I could get my money back from the years of overpaying for other eyeliners, from Loreal and MAC to Shu Uemura and Shiseido. This is all you need.