Ben Nye Ben Nye Cake Eyeliner

Ben Nye Ben Nye Cake Eyeliner
Ben Nye Cake Eyeliner in black

4.5

Talc, Propylene Glycol, CL No. 7704 (Kaolin), PEG-8, PVP, Choleth-24, Ceteth-24, Emulsifying wax, Phenoxyethanol

I was under the impression that this would be at least water resistant... but this is the most smeary run-down-your-face eyeliner I've ever used, omg. If you get any sort of moisture near it, it will dissolve and get into your eyes. It's AWFUL! I'm so disappointed, because the reviews were perfect... I even used it with the Kryolan sealer, which has a 5 rating.

I'll be sticking with gels and pencils. Shame :(

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

These are nothing special and not worth the special order. I think I could have found as good at the drugstore or Sally's. They are hard cakes with little dust throw but they don't last all day, are not waterproof or even super long lasting even with using their Liquiset that is supposed to make them long lasting. My lines were fading and chipping off after 6 hours. I bought black, gray, eggplant and brown. None are remarkable, just average and the company that sells them will not take returns. Wish I'd just sprung for the Laura Mercier cake liners that I have been eyeing forever. The only thing that is ok is that they were $8 each.

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

Got this from my local theatre store since I've never used a cake liner before. Ben Nye has never really let me down before, but I really didn't like this. It's not a terrible product, but I feel it takes me forever to apply it. It dries out too quickly and I'm constantly reapplying a sealer. Not to mention it's not a very opaque liner, it's go on a little clear in some areas and then dark in others. Great liner for those willing to spend 20 minute applying it.

on 2/1/2004 12:42:00 AM

wasn't as impressed with this as i am with other ben nye products. it could be because i thought it was going to be a cream eyeliner (it's called 'cake eyeliner'...i thought it was the same thing). maybe i shouodl have also boight the 'liquid set' along with it, but i really like my bobbi brown gel liner much better than this product. oh well.

on 10/18/2012 8:22:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

As far as cake liners go, I think this is one of the best. It works well with water. I also sometimes use Paula Dorf Transformer with this. I have it in black.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

It's my favourite eyeliner right now. I've been applying it daily for about 6 months now. It's soo dark and it comes on and off nicely. It doesn't cake and I usually wear it from around 10 a.m. till like 10 p.m. at night. It's really black and really easy to put on in my opinion, kinda like liquid eyeliner but way nicer. The only downside is that it comes off in water like if I was crying it'll leave a black tear streak on my face and I can't apply it to my waterline :c but overall it's soo great, I probably just need to buy the BenNye LiquiSet to go with it. So far I've been using the Medusa Eyeliner Seal.

on 11/15/2007 5:48:00 PM

Great basic eyeliner. I wear liquid eyeliner pretty much daily, I have tried several brands and this is hands down the best of the ones that are available to me. I like my liner very liquid, so cake liners are practical to me, but other cake liners I've tried dry very matte, or a greyish off-black. This one, when used with Ben Nye LiquiSet, produces a true black line with a slight sheen to the surface that I like, and it stands up to long days (12+ hours) without smudging, running, crumbling or disappearing, and unlike a few liners I've tried, this one doesn't irritate my eyes in the least.

The price is hard to beat. I payed about 16$ for the cake eyeliner and LiquiSet, and both will last me for well over a year with daily use.

Excellent product, overall - money well invested. The only reason it doesn't get a 5 is that it isn't waterproof; but it doesn't claim to be, anyway.

on 8/28/2007 8:17:00 PM

VERY nice product! On my quest to find a less expensive version of my beloved Laura Mercier cake eyeliner, I bought this. I have also tried LaFemme cake eyeliner and while it's ok, it wasn't nearly as creamy as LM and didn't apply as smoothly. Enter Ben Nye. I got this in Dark Brown, which is a very good match to LM's mahogany. I also used it with Ben Nye Liquiset. So far, all day, looks just as great as early this morning. It applied smoothly and had a comparable creamy application consistency of LM. So far, it's a love affair! I will definitely repurchase. Took off one lippie only because it's a rather small package.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I have the black one and used it with Ben Nye's Liquiset,which made my eyes water,so i did the water glycerin trick.With both methods de liner didn't stay put at my inner eye corners.I didn't want to give up this beautiful eyeliner.It applies like a dream,without tugging my skin and found a method that works for me.I apply it only with water(it stays put all day on rest of my upper eyelid,except inner corners) and in the inner eye corners i use bobbi brown black gel liner,NOT Ben Nye's!Bobbi Brown stays put and is slightly lighter in color.I apply 2 layers of BN cake liner to make the black stand out,but i always do that with every cake or gel liner.It's a very intense black and gives a matte result,which i like.It doesn't irritate my eyes and with my application method it's simply be removed with water

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I use dark brown in my brows with the liquiset. Love the look it gives, and last all day. Love it.