Ben Nye Ben Nye Cake Eyeliner

Ben Nye Ben Nye Cake Eyeliner
Ben Nye Cake Eyeliner in black

4.5

Talc, Propylene Glycol, CL No. 7704 (Kaolin), PEG-8, PVP, Choleth-24, Ceteth-24, Emulsifying wax, Phenoxyethanol

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is my first cake liner and it is the best eyeliner I've ever used. I applied w/ a wet (just water) Sonia Kashuk bent liner brush and application was much easier then liquid or gel. It goes on a beautiful matte black and it lasts! I have super oily lids with a tiny Asian crease, so almost all liners smudge and leave ugly smudge marks on my upper crease. I tested this w/o primer or sealer and this lasted all day with only a tiny barely noticable smudge...LOVE IT!
*UPDATE* Tested it again on my bare lids applied with just water, but this time in warmer weather and it did melt on me a lil, but it wasn't terrible. Still love it.
*UPDATE2* It's been a couple months now and this has become my HG eyeliner! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

on 12/19/2011 11:40:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

HG Eyeliner. No doubt. I have oily lids. Extremely sensitive skin. I work in hot electrical closets doing physical work. I sweat at the drop of a hat. I'm a tomboy, but I enjoy *trying* to look feminine. This stuff makes my eyes pop. (Instead of the freckled 'mole' look I sport rolling out of bed)

Ben Nye stuff is incredible quality. (Remember the sensitive skin?)
People think "theatrical" makeup quality is crappy. That is so wrong. I'll take Ben Nye over MAC every day of the week.
I have 3 of BN's cake eye liners: Black, Dark Brown & Brown. I got them from a Theatrical Supply place in Dallas. I had to call around before I found a place that had it in stock - but it was worth the time I spent looking.

To use: I have a small shot glass I half fill w/ water and pump in two squirts of Ben Nye's 'LiquiSet' (helps set), then wet very fine eye-liner brush (MAC 210) and drag the wet brush in the dry (feels somewhat hard) Ben Nye cake makeup. You will see the color getting on the brush - then apply!
You can control the amount you get on the brush, & on your eyelid.

It stays on me all day & into my evening. If I go to sleep with it on, quite a bit will still be there when I wake.

I use the Brown daily, & the Dark Brown and Black for special events.
I've been using the Brown for over a year & have not had to purchase a second pot yet.

I bought my 68 year old Mother the BN black cake eye liner. She had been using the Laura Mercier version of this. She loves this, especially after I told her what I paid for it. She tends to apply eye makeup like Tammy Faye Baker did...so now it will at least stay in place for her all day and repurchasing for her will be inexpensive.

I would definitely purchase this product again.

[ BTW - other Ben Nye products stay on quite long as well. They are supposed to! They were created to be used on actors for film & stage. Think a primadonna actress or news anchor will put up with something that breaks her out? Or looks less than flawless on an HD broadcast?

I probably sound like an ad for them, but I have spent SOO much money on Bobbi Brown, MAC, Clinique, Laura Mercier & Shiseido over the years, & now I not only find a line that looks good and stays on - but it's SOO inexpensive! The only downside I can see is that it is difficult to find them to buy in person. ]

Skin: Normal, Other, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

All I can say is W.O.W.!!! After wearing eyeliner for 22 years, I have finally found my HG eyeliner, Ben Nye Cake Eyeliner in Black. Over the last 2 decades, I have used pencil, kohl, liquid, gel, cream, mousse and other cake eyeliners but none of them, none of them, come close to the results I get from Ben Nyes Cake Eyeliner.

This eyeliner is quick drying, long wearing, is easy to control & apply, and after wearing this eye liner for a few months, I have never experienced any smudging, flaking, creasing or fading. I would swear this cake liner is made of powdered coal (although it isnt) for it is the blackest black eyeliner that I have ever seen and used. The durability of this cake eyeliner is to die for because I can apply it on my un-primed oily (think, oil slick) eye lids and once this eyeliner dries it does not budge till I remove it and I love the dramatic look that I get once I apply this eyeliner. This cake eyeliner is a bargain for $6 for a 2 gram jar from eBay, however, I purchased the professional size 5.5 gram jar from eBay for $9 and with regular use this eyeliner will probably last me a couple of years since you only need a few swipes to line both eyes. I love this eyeliner!

As with all cake eyeliners, you have to get used to the application of the product and how wet to get the brush by the way, IMO you should use an eyeliner sealer with all cake eyeliner products to get the full benefits of the liner. Also, if you have any experience using liquid liners, then the application of a cake eyeliner will be old hat once you apply it a couple of times the same technique but a better product IMHO.

I can not sing the praises of this eyeliner loud enough, but suffice it to say, if you havent already tried this product, please do so immediately and you can thank me later for the referral.

Seriously, this is the best eyeliner out there. I like eyeliner, and I didn't discover this eyeliner until I was looking into doing makeup for other people for photo shoots. I'd always bought the expensive stuff, and usually liquid or cream eyeliners. Then I bought this, because the cake form makes it possible to keep things hygienic. I wasn't expecting much because it's so cheap (and lasts forever), but wow.... seriously. Wow. So good. So easy to apply. Beautifully pigmented. Cheap as hell.

It isn't waterproof if you just use it with water, but if you use it with a sealing liquid, it lasts forever. Amazing stuff. I wish I could get my money back from the years of overpaying for other eyeliners, from Loreal and MAC to Shu Uemura and Shiseido. This is all you need.

on 10/27/2007 4:44:00 PM

I now exclusively use this as my liquid eyeliner.

The price for this generous long lasting pot is only $5-6!! I would never find anything in Sephora for that price!

I use black and it is a rich, true pigmented black. Perfect! I was using so many other liners that are 'watery', like L'Oreal Voluminous marker eyeliner, and odd off blacks that are more brown or blue.

I bought this at Alcone with their eyeliner brush and it was so easy to put on! I'm not kidding, I was astounded at myself at how well I put it on. I've always had so much trouble with all those felt tip pens, Lancome's Artliner, and chunky markers, L'oreal's Voluminous marker, as well as those tiny brushes. Using the proper tools made this soo much better and I can control the width of the line a lot better.

It is not water proof, but so long as you don't get caught in the rain or cry you'll be ok. In any case, I put my sister's She Laq just in case for a concert I went to and it didn't move, and we got caught in the rain.

I'm officially giving up my fascination with Sephora and so called 'high end' makeup in favor of theater makeup like Ben Nye and Kryolan.

Just wanted to add, this is apparently a fav staple of many makeup artists.

EDIT: I don't think they make this in a dark navy blue. I tried looking at several sites and they don't seem to have it. Wish they did tho!

I was under the impression that this would be at least water resistant... but this is the most smeary run-down-your-face eyeliner I've ever used, omg. If you get any sort of moisture near it, it will dissolve and get into your eyes. It's AWFUL! I'm so disappointed, because the reviews were perfect... I even used it with the Kryolan sealer, which has a 5 rating.

I'll be sticking with gels and pencils. Shame :(

on 11/19/2012 2:25:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This eyeliner take the proverbial cake (pun intended). I have not used a better liner and I've tried ALL kinds. I have this in black and it is fantastic! Great, deep black color; liner does not budge; I always have a perfect line and it stays on for at least 12-14 hours. Never once have I had this smudge, not even when sleeping. (Yes, I know, I should take off my makeup before bed.)

My trick is to dip the brush into a tiny amount of aloe vera gel and then dip into the liner and voila - perfectly jet black perfect line. Love it.

I uploaded 2 pics - the first one is in "brown" the second one is in "black".

This is honestly the very best eyeliner out there - forget fluidline and L'oreal HIP as long as you don't go swimming. It's a pitty the cake eyeliners are not waterproof but for every day work and school they are the best products out there because they are so extremely easy to apply and cover 100% in one application.

I just dipp my eyeliner brust into some water and then dry it a little on a paper towel - pick up some colour and I am ready to apply. Good things about this product - highly pigmented, can't dry out because its already pressed powder pigment :) therefore much much longer useable compared to fluid eyeliners that dry out quickly sometimes.

The black eyeliner applies similar to the NYX black eyeshadow that I used before as an eyeliner but the staying power of the cake eyeliners is much better especially in the inner eye corner area.

The brown colour is perfect for the natural more nude look - if you just want to intensify your eyes but not overdo them - that's the right colour for you girls. I used it with toast E/S and golden apricot E/S and it really is amazing nice and natural. You can really experiment with brown cake eyeliner - maybe just put on vanilla E/S and this eyeliner and some brown mascara and get a really nude nude beautiful look.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

These are nothing special and not worth the special order. I think I could have found as good at the drugstore or Sally's. They are hard cakes with little dust throw but they don't last all day, are not waterproof or even super long lasting even with using their Liquiset that is supposed to make them long lasting. My lines were fading and chipping off after 6 hours. I bought black, gray, eggplant and brown. None are remarkable, just average and the company that sells them will not take returns. Wish I'd just sprung for the Laura Mercier cake liners that I have been eyeing forever. The only thing that is ok is that they were $8 each.

on 7/14/2012 6:32:00 AM

I have experimented with pencil, gel and liquid liners. This cake eyeliner blows them all out of the water. I bought the black and eggplant cake liner along with Ben Nye Liquiset. The black is a matte black and the eggplant is a purple with a reddish tint.

Pros:
- Control: You can use this to make everything from delicate to dramatic looks. You can adjust the amount of liquid to change the pigmentation (it is very very pigmented).
- Longevity: With Liquiset, it lasts all day, even with my oily lids. There is absolutely no creasing or smudging through 14+ hour days.
- Ease of use: It takes a minimal amount of practice to work out how to best use water/liquiset to make the line you require with the least amount of mess. After that, it's as easy as can be. There's rarely a need to go over your line again, application is smooth, touching up is simple with a gentle eye makeup remover and Q-tip.
- Value for money: Each pot was about $7 and Liquiset cost $6. Each use makes the smallest of dents, so I envision that this will last me for years of daily use. It's not going to dry out as a liquid or gel liner might.
- No irritation: I have quite sensitive eyes and eyelids and I've yet to experience even the slightest irritation.

Cons: These really aren't cons to me, but they may influence some people
- Portability: It's less convenient to carry around than a pencil, but if you're happy to use water instead of a sealant, then it's reasonable.
- Availability in Australia: As far as I know, it's significantly cheaper to buy from a website and pay for shipping than to buy it here.
- Colours available: There's only a few colours, unfortunately.

How I use it: I shake my Liquiset jar and open it up. I dip my clean ELF Studio Smudge/Precision brush or Ecotools Angled brush into the small amount of liquid stuck to the lid. I then apply as desired and clean off the lid with a Q-tip before closing it. I touch up if needed with some oil-free gentle eye makeup remover.