MAC 224 Tapered Blending Brush

MAC 224 Tapered Blending Brush
M.A.C. - 224 Tapered Blending Brush

4.4

It is good blending brush with natural bristle. It does a good job blending the colours, yet it is not the softest blending blush I own, thus 4/5.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

💖 I use MAC #224 (made of unspecified natural bristles) to fluffyly give me a wash of darker eyeshadow along my crease that looks subtly natural. More so now that I am getting older, I have always believed that putting on makeup shouldn't get uncomfortable in any way. 😍

Alternative softer and cheaper dupe is Hakuhodo J5522 (Goat hair) or G5522 (Squirrel and goat hair mix).

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

This is a great MAC classic. It's bigger and fluffier and rounder than the 217. I usually use this in my crease for a diffuse color and the 217 just under or right in the crease for a more targeted placement. The Sigma dupe for this is the E40 which I find to be much larger. I think the Sigma E35 is much more similar to the MAC 224 even though it's white goat hair. 224 is slightly smaller and definitely softer than Sigma. I've had this for years and it looks new. I love MAC quality. I feel they are definitely worth the money.

on 3/1/2017 6:51:00 PM

Finally caved in and bought this brush. I think I overhyped it in my mind... or maybe since it first was gushed over, there have been so many improvements in other brushes that it left me underwhelmed. It's not a bad brush by any means... but I literally have an identical brush I bought off Amazon that came in a set that does the exact same thing for about half the price. We will see how long it lasts. Admittedly the Amazon brush has already lasted a year and looks the same as it did... So we shall see.

Great size and shape for applying a transition color, but it's far too scratchy. Applying shadow with it and running it on my eyelid feels like I'm getting stabbed by a hundred little needles. I'm very gentle with my brushes and I have a number of other brushes from MAC that are an absolute delight. But this...this is terrible.

on 4/6/2017 3:26:00 AM

I was in Mac buying new foundation and concealer when the assistant suggested the 224 brush for blending concealer. She said that she personally uses it and finds it best for blending concealer under the eyes - I was sold! I've had this brush now for 6 months and it sheds so much! My face is always covered in hairs which is incredibly annoying, I've got cheaper brushes that don't shed at all so I wouldn't recommend this one considering the high price, I expected better! I know that I don't use it as an eyeshadow blending brush but when a shop assistant raves about it you believe the hype! Definitely won't be spending £20+ on a brush again!

on 4/2/2016 7:37:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a decent blending brush. It's bigger then the 217. I like this purely for blending, I don't actually use it for applying colour to my lid. It can be a bit scratchy compared to the 217.

One of my all time favorites. I love this brush, it blends eyeshadows really well! However I'm noticing that the hairs are getting a bit hard and sometimes hurt my lid!

This brush is huge and fluffy but not as soft as the goat hair 217 if I press to hard it gets a little scratchy . But still love this for blending smokey dramatic eyeshadows and using this for concealer and powder for dark cycles, I actually am saving up for another one just for this purpose.
The only cons is they are so expensive and I absolutely hate the damn cheap packaging I am paying 25+ for a brush and can not get box! Or something I usually loveeee MAC boxes and packaging.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I bought this brush because that's all MAC Mua's raved about. I love the sleek handle w/the MAC logo and number on the brush, however over time, this is the scratchiest brush I've ever used! I've cleaned it w/the MAC cleanser and another high end cleaner that I purchased from Sephora; still didn't do the trick. So now my go to blending brushes are Hakuhodo J5522, J5523 (alternative to MAC 217) or J142 (Phenomenal blending!). Plus they are half the price of MAC! Ha! Everybody wins!

Popular Makeup Brushes