MAC 224 Tapered Blending Brush

M.A.C. - 224 Tapered Blending Brush

4.4

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

This is a great MAC classic. It's bigger and fluffier and rounder than the 217. I usually use this in my crease for a diffuse color and the 217 just under or right in the crease for a more targeted placement. The Sigma dupe for this is the E40 which I find to be much larger. I think the Sigma E35 is much more similar to the MAC 224 even though it's white goat hair. 224 is slightly smaller and definitely softer than Sigma. I've had this for years and it looks new. I love MAC quality. I feel they are definitely worth the money.

Great size and shape for applying a transition color, but it's far too scratchy. Applying shadow with it and running it on my eyelid feels like I'm getting stabbed by a hundred little needles. I'm very gentle with my brushes and I have a number of other brushes from MAC that are an absolute delight. But this...this is terrible.

This brush is huge and fluffy but not as soft as the goat hair 217 if I press to hard it gets a little scratchy . But still love this for blending smokey dramatic eyeshadows and using this for concealer and powder for dark cycles, I actually am saving up for another one just for this purpose.
The only cons is they are so expensive and I absolutely hate the damn cheap packaging I am paying 25+ for a brush and can not get box! Or something I usually loveeee MAC boxes and packaging.

on 4/2/2016 7:37:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a decent blending brush. It's bigger then the 217. I like this purely for blending, I don't actually use it for applying colour to my lid. It can be a bit scratchy compared to the 217.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I bought this brush because that's all MAC Mua's raved about. I love the sleek handle w/the MAC logo and number on the brush, however over time, this is the scratchiest brush I've ever used! I've cleaned it w/the MAC cleanser and another high end cleaner that I purchased from Sephora; still didn't do the trick. So now my go to blending brushes are Hakuhodo J5522, J5523 (alternative to MAC 217) or J142 (Phenomenal blending!). Plus they are half the price of MAC! Ha! Everybody wins!

One of my all time favorites. I love this brush, it blends eyeshadows really well! However I'm noticing that the hairs are getting a bit hard and sometimes hurt my lid!

Im a Mac lover and this brush is pure shit!!!! It hurra my lid. Doesn't blend Well and is waste of money

on 11/12/2015 7:21:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Out of the dozens of brushes I own, this is THE WORST for shedding. I hate using it as I spend ages cleaning up all the hairs off my face. It's about 5 years old and has been washed hundreds of time and it still sheds. I expect more from MAC!

on 9/6/2015 7:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I really dislike this brush. For the first few months it was pretty good; it was all downhill from there. Gradually it lost all its fluff (yes, I always washed it properly) and now, 4 years later, I'm going to have to throw it away - it's horribly scratchy and even painful to use. It's so thin that it doesn't blend well at all. To its benefit it never shed and the ferrel is still fine, but otherwise I regret buying it.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

The initial reason I bought this brush was because a MAC mua used copperplate shadow quite breezily and quickly in my crease. I always had difficulty using this shadow, but it looked rad as hell when she used the 224--i was sold.

Had no idea it was as $$$ as it is, and sort of choked when they rang me up at the register, but it ended up being worth it.

Would i repurchase? Unfortunately, gonna have to, since I've lost mine, and haven't managed to find a decent dupe (i probably spent more trying to find one, honestly.) I know there are better brands out there, but I love the 224, so I find no need to look elsewhere (ahem, anymore.)

Popular Makeup Brushes