MAC Lustre - Gleam

MAC Lustre - Gleam

3.6

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is a very pretty color, but I basically have to dig my brush into it to get any color! It felt very hard and it isn't even anymore. It has a bumpy texture.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is possibly my only Lustre finish shadow from MAC because a lot of foil type eyeshadows look chunky on me. This is one of those shades that I think really depends on how you wear it- washed over my lids this is really gorgeous and reflective. Paired with lighter crease shades and just on the lids looks great too, but this isn't a stand out to most people. It's pinky, it's coppery, and on pale skin it's a nice pop of bright warmth. It's not showy, which is good, because I was able to wear this to a baby shower and a wedding shower without looking like I was over the top. I think this works well with lots of other colors and is also nice as a topper for pink shades.

If you don't mind a more subdued shimmer, or you want a quick wash for pale skin, this might be great for you. There are so many similar shades out there these days though!

on 5/10/2016 6:45:00 PM

Ah! The first eyeshadow I EVER purchased from MAC years and years ago. And now I'm finally repurchasing it again!

It was the first shadow I ever gravitated towards. This is what I'm using now and ain't the price just right? I am sure others will deem it as a flaky golden pink, a choppy version of Expensive Pink perhaps, but I love it for the lack of density, and the shimmers. It's wearable enough for every single day and work, and I'm using it because I cannot purchase Etude House or Aritaum directly at this point in my life where I live in Canada.

I have it in my everyday palette again and I'm sure it's not to everyone's liking, but I use it as a single eyeshadow all over my lid and voila.

Again, this shadow is not for everyone, but it was good for me!

Other lustre shadows I love as well are Honey Lust and Mythology.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

Mac Gleam is a beautiful shimmering light peachy pink shade. I originally bought this product thinking it would be a beautiful brow bone and inner corner highlighter. I'm not really sure why as it's much too pink and shimmery but none-the-less a gorgeous eyeshadow. This eyeshadow isn't overly pigmented, so I more use it to dust over other shades to add some glitter as when used alone it's just kind of clear with pink sparkles. I bought this eyeshadow in the Duty free store at the airport so naturally it was a little cheaper than usual. It retailed in duty free for $26 AUD which isn't so expensive it's going to break the bank but when you keep in mind that it's the price for just one single eyeshadow it seems a little excessive.

There is nothing particularly wrong with this eyeshadow but there's just nothing special about it. The packaging is beautiful (like any other MAC packaging) but this shadow just doesn't do it for me. I will continue to use it but it's not something i find my self reaching for. I will continue purchase other MAC eye shadows as there are plenty better ones than this but this isn't a staple in my collection.

This was one of my more disappointing purchases at MAC. I never use this color and thought it looked so nice in the store. Maybe I'll find a use for it one day.

on 2/23/2014 4:40:00 AM

For those who didn't get on with gleam as an eyeshadow don't abandon it - use it as a highlighter! I purchased Gleam specifically to wear as a face highlight. That's right - it makes the most beautiful highlighter on cheeks, bridge of nose and cupids bow. It is also great for livening up matte blushers and complements peachier shades like Springsheen. The lustre finish may not always be flattering on the eyelids but applied with the stroke of a finger and blended well it gives such a beautiful satin sheen when used to highlight the face. The colour transfers as a very natural warm 'glow' and works especially well on 'tired' days! Although Gleam is an eyeshadow, as a highlight shade the effect is softer and prettier than more conventional powders and I cannot recommend it enough. It looks beautiful in daylight - not garish or overly sparkly - even on winter pale days and the effect is just as beautiful with a tan in the summer. I would even go so far to say that if you love Amber Diamond by Dior or want a dupe - the effect is virtually the same. I enjoy Amber Diamond but having Gleam in my MAC Palette is genius - portable and very effective (at a third of the price). Regardless of your skin tone definately try it!

on 7/16/2013 11:52:00 AM

This eyeshadow isn't what I though it was going to be at all. When I swatched it in the store it was soft and opaque and beautiful! When I brought it home and tried it out myself, there was no color pay off and it was patchy with TONS of fall out. I would not recommend this to anyone! I regret wasting 15 dollars on an eyeshadow that I don't even want to use.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Im not a fan of the MAC lustre e/shadows at all however this one piqued my interest.
It is very much a peach & gold mixture which looks very similar to the mineralize blushes when applied.
Being a lustre, there is fall-out & the colour payoff is not instant like you would have with the matte or satin finishes so you do have to do some "work" in order for this e/shadow to "shine". I use it dry for a subtle finish or wet for more intensity. Layered over a cream colour base rich coral looks lovely too.
dont be afraid to try this because of the lustre finish...it takes time but its worth the effort.

on 3/5/2013 2:57:00 PM

I got this shadow when I Back2MAC'd some used up items. I think it's really pretty! In the store it looked like more of a frosty pink-orange, but when I got it home I noticed it was more of coppery-pinkish color. Normally I don't like pinks on me at all, but yesterday I wore this color with only some mascara and it was so pretty! I definitely recommend using with a primer and just patting the shadow onto the lid because the fall out is tremendous. It's that terrible lustre finish that does it. It's the only thing keeping this shadow from being 5 lippies. I wish they had made it in a vuluxe pearl or something. MAC should probably do away with the lustre finish all together, it's not very widely accepted. This is the only lustre that I would repurchase. I could see this really looking stunning on women of color though because it's just right on the scale of opacity. I'm an NC25 and this still shows on my lids. I'm going to try the method another reviewer suggested of using it wet to reduce the fall out.

on 2/10/2013 9:54:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Gorgeous color, its a beautiful peachy slightly pale pink shadow with a gold simmer/glitter to it, looks more pink in the pot. Very pretty and versatile.
At first I thought I'd hate this because the fallout but i find that using wet can really bring out the colour, give excellent payoff and with the 286 brush have better color payoff with less fallout than other.