Essie Adore-A-Ball

3.8

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

If you're looking for bottle color or a milky nude, you might want to skip this unless you're really good with moderately streaky polishes. It's not as bad as Essie Marshmallow (a nightmare to try to apply). I think some might be able to do okay with 2-3 coats and a good self leveling-top coat.

I probably rebuy it, but I did find a way to use it that I do like and is fairly easy (try it if you're thinking of tossing it). Try a milky (white-ish) base coat (it's okay if you don't have one, but better with one, I like Nailite online's milky base coat). And very carefully do one medium (not too thin, not way heavy) coat. Just one. Then quickly top with your topcoat (I'm loving Nailite's Wet Look, but it is not fast drying. Seche would likely be good over this one for a quick dry.)

What it does is give a very clean, slightly whitened look to the nail and tip for a very natural look like a softer "American" mani. I couldn't get some of the other Essies I reviewed (see my reviews I struggle with a lot of their pales) to look this good in one coat. But this one is worth saving and not tossing for this alone. (And I'm pretty picky about keeping hard to work with polishes.)

If you want an easy, inexpensive polish in this family (not an exact dupe), try Wet N Wild 2% milk (2 coats). It's cheap, and goes on so easy and you don't have to fight it.

This is by far my favorite opaque nude white. I try other colors but always come back to this. It looks nothing like the picture of the bottle on this website.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

This is the sheer staple polish I reach for every week; just simple, flattering, and lovely.

I own Essie's Ballet Slippers too but Ballet Slippers is a tough formula and I just don't want to deal with its goopy mess anymore. I've also bought both polishes at around the same time and I've had to add polish thinner to Ballet Slippers, but Adoreaball still applies very nicely. Tip: Apply Adoreaball (and any sheer polish for that matter) with very QUICK and LIGHT strokes. If you go at your nails with too much pressure and if you apply the polish very slowly, you will cause streaks and an overall mess. The second coat should always be slightly thicker than the first to even out your nails in the end.

Onto the color, compared to Ballet Slippers it is a tad more sheer and much more white. Has a nice milky finish and I like that I can go either very sheer with one coat or more milky with thicker coats. Definitely a favorite and one I would repurchase.

Disappointing in several aspects. First, it is streaky. I applied 2 coats (over a base) and the coverage was uneven. Perhaps more coats could help, but then the color would be more opaque which is not the effect I want in a pale, pale pink. Second, is longevity is an issue. Chipping was evident less than 10 hours after application! My nails were painted in the evening and the next morning after a shower I noticed a few chips. I had done no work in between. I think this is a new low for polish performance. On the plus side, it dried quickly with no tackiness and no waking up with dents or wrinkles. Overall a big loser.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is described as a pink/nude sheer, but I don't see any pink in this really. This leans much more peachy pink. It's very subtle but it doesn't look pink or peach.

I wanted to love this and give it 5 lippies but I can't. It's very streaky, uneven, doesn't level well, hard to work with, and it doesn't dry. It was still tacky after 24 hours. I have several dings and marks on my nails from normal wear during the 24 hours because it just never dried right.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Although like most similar shades of polish, this particular polish runs streaky I absolutely love it. It lasts a few days without chipping, but I do find that layering too much with this one causes it to chip more quickly. Then again, I work in a restaurant that worships the use of bleach so it may be the context of the situation rather than the product itself. Overall, it's shiny (on it's own) a beautiful, flattering pale pink that can be built up in a couple liberal coats to essentially opaque. I love this color (though it isn't that unique in broad terms, this one really is special for making your nails look fresh, not corpse-like and is simply pretty and fitting for people like me who love pale nudes.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Adore-A-Ball is described as a sheer, soft pink. Hmmm. I wouldn't exactly describe it as sheer since I'm wearing two coats and I can barely see the whites of my nails. The formula is thin and watery, but applies well. I didn't experience horrendous streaking. The wear....three days without chipping or cracking which I think is pretty good. Overall, this is a good polish, but I wouldn't re-buy it simply because the colour does not look good on me. My nails look like corpse nails. My skin tone is too warm for this pale polish.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I tried to love this color. I really did but...This is the streakiest polish I've used in a long time and I used 4 coats trying to get semi-opaque color. It's such a bad product and it cost nearly $8. I tried to return it to target but the lady said it was "supposed to be sheer". Seriously, it's supposed to be sheer? Anyway, if you want opacity try something else.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Adore-a-Ball is one of Essie's many sheer pale pinks. Like others polishes of this color, it runs a little streaky, but it's not very noticeable to others. It's a very cute color, and I'm glad I own it, but there are many just like it. If you can find it on sale (I actually found mine at the thrift store), definitely snatch it up. Otherwise, Wet n Wild's $2 Megalast line has a sheer pale pink called Sugar Coat that will work just as well.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This is my HG nail polish for hands. It is the perfect clean and bright milky nude/pink color . If you want a natural but still pretty color, this is it. its not too sheer either. I have medium tan olive skin (NC20) and this color just makes my nails look healthy, pretty and clean and its perfect. I have been repurchasing for a few years and will keep buying as long as they sell it! Essie polishes also last a good 5-6 days on my hands as well. Another great one is Essie's "Topless and barefoot" - that one is more opaque but still really pretty. Great polishes.

Popular Polishes