Neutrogena Instant Bronze sunless tanner and bronzer in one in medium

Neutrogena Instant Bronze sunless tanner and bronzer in one in medium

3.0

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

This left me looking a nice color in pictures. It leaves my legs a nice golden color, but it didn't really do much when I applied it to my shoulders to cover up my halter top tan lines (which is the whole reason why I wanted a sunless tanner). When applying it, I found the smell a little irritating and it left my hands orangey for a day or two.
My main complaint is that this lasts for several days, so after a shower, you have to be very careful when drying yourself. If your towel wipes one area more than another, you'll be left with blotches of different colors...which gets really annoying.
While this product isn't horrible, I think I'll opt trying another sunless tanner next time. continued >>

This product looked great on me immediately. I have dark olive skin and it is hard to find a self tanner to make me 'glow'. The deep color is very nice. I had no problems with streaking and my skin turned a nice nutty color. The problem is that it will come off on your clothing if you sweat at all, and it will wash off in the shower right away. It stained one of my favorite shirts, and the brown will not come out of it. Grrrr.

on 7/27/2007 5:15:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I have to admit I am suprised at all the bad reviews for this product. I have tried a dozen or so self tanners and this one by far is my favorite. The best thing about it is the bronzer in it because it is very easy to make sure I'm getting it on evenly. I never have streaks with this stuff. I am even able to make my feet look great with this and that is often a hard thing for me to do with self tanners. Now, I agree that the bronzer itself can be a bit orangey looking but I like to apply it before bed and then shower in the morning so that's not a problem for me. It drys VERY quickly which I like because I don't have to wait long to get dressed. Because it dries quickly, you do have to blend quickly but if you take one section of the body at a time that shouldn't be a problem. When I do my legs, I do the lower leg, the foot and the upper leg like three different sections. I never have a problem with it drying too quickly. The color of the tan itself is great. Recently when I went to the beach I spent a lot of time in the water with my 4 year old so my upper body had nice color but my legs did not. I used this on my legs and the color of my upper and lower body match nicely. I am able to maintain a nice color by reapplying every 3rd day. Also, when I do let this fade out, it fades quite nicely without those splotchy looking areas. Love this stuff!

I think this product is much maligned. If you want a self-tanner that lasts for about 5-7 days then skip this product altogether because you'll not be happy. If on the other hand you want something that will give you a bit of natural color for a night out or a day, then this fits the bill perfectly. It's very easy to apply because it's tinted so you know exactly where you've applied it. It gives you natural color instantly and the Medium formula is best suited to fair to medium skin types. I'm Eurasian and use Shu Uemura foundation #554 and this gives me a nice nutty brown look.

I slap this on every morning and practically can do it with my eyes closed-it's that idiot proof. Another real plus is that fact that you don't have to worry about streaking, getting a Sunkist-look or looking s&*t for the next week because you screwed up the application. And because it doesn't last a long time, you don't have to worry about the stuff staining your nails, dry skin patches etc. As for the smell, I don't think it smells bad at all (I grew up with early generation self-tanners that stank to high heaven)! When I'm done for the day, it all comes off easily with my Obagi face wash.

on 10/11/2006 10:49:00 AM

This dried too quickly and I didn't have time to blend it. When I tried to rub it in more quickly, it began to "pill" like an old sweater! Then I was stuck with splotchy orange and light spots on my legs and arms. Smells bad (but all self-tanners smell bad). Did not like at all. L'oreal and Hawaian Tropic are much better "drugstore" self tanners.

on 8/21/2006 2:59:00 AM

This sucks!! Sure, maybe the bronzer colour makes it easier to apply the thing but it makes you look like you've rubbed your face in mud! It's a dark yuck orange colour...and this applies for not only the bronzer but the actual colour of the tan you develop afterwards! (just not as dark but still orangy). The colour's unnatural to say the least. Definitely not recommended for the face as it dries out your skin and stinks as well.

on 6/21/2006 12:04:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I agree with most of the reviewers here-- this product STINKS!!! Literally, too!I was a virgin to the whole "tan-in-a-can" thing until yesterday. Neutrogena Instant Bronze was my first. I'm sorry I didn't hold out for a better self-tanner to be my first!Everything wrong with this product and almost nothing right.1) It left my hands orange until this evening, almost 24 hours later, even tho I washed it thoroughly from my hands immediately after application.2) When I was walking my dog yesterday afternoon after applying this, I looked down at my legs and gasped! It looked like I hadn't shaved my legs or something! The self-tanner sunk inside my pores, intensified, and made it look as if my legs were full of stubble. (BTW, I had just shaved b-4 applying.)3) The smell of this product is putrid!4) When I put white socks on this AM to work out on my treadmill... after my workout, I noticed my socks turned ORANGE after I took my sneakers off!5) When I went in the shower today, as soon as the water hit my legs, the runoff in the tub was completely orange! No instant tan left-- at all!Well, maybe that was a blessing (that the tan disappeared). The only thing I DID like about this product was the mousse-type formulation. It seemed to apply pretty easily [and evenly] for me, even tho it was my first time ever applying such a thing.{sigh} Oh, well. Hope I have better luck next time with the next self-tanner I try... continued >>

I hate this product. After a few weeks..it started to STINK really bad. I had to throw it out...I couldn't walk around smelling that like...made my stomach turn. As for bronzing/tanning?...find another product. This belongs in the trash.

on 10/24/2005 7:14:00 PM

This one made me look good instantly but washed off quickly, leaving no lasting color. Maybe thats why I hated it? Good first impression (although you need to be very skilled at putting it on flawlessly) but then when it washes off - all that work was for nothing! First application is a little dark but it is instantly bronze. Forget about trying to keep hands from tanning - this is pretty aggressive. What a complete waste of money!

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This product is very messy to apply. The color is all right, but most of the tan washes off in the shower, requiring you to reapply every day. It does work well as a bronzer and gives a very natural glow.