MAC Cosmetics Matte - Charcoal Brown

MAC Cosmetics Matte - Charcoal Brown
Matte - Charcoal BrownMatte - Charcoal Brown

4.6

on 5/11/2016 6:49:00 PM

I was recommended this shade to fill in my brows but I'll get to that in a bit. The packaging for the Mac shadows is wonderful, I love that about them. I really feel like you can count on Mac shadows and I don't feel that there will be a Mac shadow that is ever going to be 'awful' or 'terrible' because the formulas are just good ok? Buuuuuuuutttt....... the quality of mac's shadows are heavily dependent on the shade that you get. Unfortunately, this matte shade charcoal brown is not so great at blending, although it's possible obviously, and can actually get a little uneven and dare I say patchy when you spend too much time trying to softly blend it out. So I was recommended this shade for my brows after asking for a less intense version of 'brun' which is a satin shade that I have been using lightly to fill in very slight sparseness in my brows. They suggested this after I asked for a shade with as little or no red, warm, earthy tones because that is honestly such a cheap look on the brows when you have a ton of warmth/red hue to your brow makeup. It's just not natural looking to be honest (unless you're a redhead). I feel like brun is the exact 100% match in TONE for my brows, as in there is no warmth to the shade which gives me a nice natural look. Charcoal Brown on the other hand does have a way more warm tone than shade Brun does. I have uploaded an image showing a swatch comparison of Brun next to Charcoal brown. I want a shadow that has the same exact cool TONE as Brun but is lighter and less intense/pigmented because I have to be so careful with Brun or it builds up my brows really intensely really quickly! I think Concrete will be my best bet for this but I couldn't find it in a normal MAC store near me in the UK, I will have to visit a Pro store and ask for that shade! For now, I actually exchanged charcoal brown for shade Coquette, which is lighter and is mostly cool toned but it's just a little off from perfect for me because it's still got a hint of earthy warmth to it ( ever so so so so so slightly) but it's ok and doesn't give me a cheap orangey brown eyebrow look haha! Coquette is also REALLY HIGH QUALITY BY THE WAY. It's sooooooo blendable and buttery it would be so good used as an eyeshadow as well as a subtle brow powder. Hope this helps :)

on 1/26/2016 7:17:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

If you tried to swatch this, you would know it is horrible. You barely get any color and it looks patchy. But this is one of the best shadows I have from Mac. It works in my brows. It is great as a crease color and stays on all day. I will purchase again if I run out.

on 11/14/2014 10:42:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I love this color! I use it as a crease color and so far it looks great with the shadows I've paired it with. Apply it with a fluffy brush and it's absolutely perfect. I recommend this for anyone looking for a great shadow to use in the crease!

on 12/21/2013 1:14:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

I LOVE this. I was looking for a neutral or taupish brown crease color and I'm not sure how I stumbled upon this but I'm glad I did. I was so excited when I got this in the mail. I particularly like this in the crease with the groundwork paint pot on the lid for a natural polished look. I read that this in the crease with sweet satisfaction on the lid is a good combo too so I will try that next. I like the texture and I've never had trouble blending it. I apply it with my max 217 or my e.l.f essentials crease brush, just depends on how I'm feeling. I could see how this could look really pretty on blue eyes. Though, I have brown and I love how it looks on me. This really is the perfect taupey brown. GET IT.

After hearing Tanya Burr rave about this on YouTube, I had to pick it up. Initially I thought it would make a good crease color for me since I'm pretty fair and have pinky undertones, and I do love it for that and use it as a nice transition color nearly everyday. But what I die about it for is on my eyebrows!! I never thought I could use it since I have baby blonde hair and super light eyebrows, but it perfectly sculpts them and gives them a little bit more strength without being too bold or over the top. I seriously would rather have this stuff on my eyebrows than even wear mascara if I had to choose. Its amazing, so transformative!

on 3/10/2013 6:16:00 AM

I simply have to pay my respects to this wonderful matte e/s for it has served me faithfully for YEARS! Before discovering Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz, this was my go-to eyebrow powder. It's a lovely, cool brown, and since I no longer need it for my brows I've been wearing it all over the lid which I LOVE! So flattering on my grey-blue eyes and PPP NW10 skin. 5/5. FYI: I don't believe the photos posted here do this e/s justice - it's darker and cooler IRL.

Yet again another brilliant product from MAC. i loved this shade of Charcoal Brown as well because it matched the shade of my brows, but also made my blue eyes pop. This shadow sets perfectly when used on my brows - Teamed with a drugstore angle brush, and really creates a shape which i believe does make me look better. The pot is a nice small design, perfect for handbag carrying, but i do believe would be better a bit bigger, and the lid is quite a struggle to lift sometimes. There is also no sparkle to this product and is a block color nice on my eyelids. The tone really suits blue eyes and definitely makes them stand out. I will be purchasing this again on my next shopping trip as i lost mine, a must have for blue eyed girls everywhere!

on 11/17/2012 4:56:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I have neutral skin tones that sometimes lean more warm or cool depending on the day and this eye shadow is way too cool toned for me. I've tried using it but I always looked drab and tired once it's applied no matter how I do it. I only use it to cool down eye shadows that are too warm in my crease now. Overall this has a good texture and would probably be a great basic brown for those with cool toned skin. I sometimes am NC20/25 or MUFE 118 for reference.

I love this colour! The MA and I spend ages trying out different browns to see what would work the best for me for both a natural crease colour as well as a colour that worked for my brow and this fit the bill perfectly. It also works well if you lightly dust this on your lids and then concentrate it in the crease fora neutral eye look.

on 5/28/2012 10:37:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I absolutely love this for my brows! A MA matched this with me, i have dark brown brows, and it looked amazing and i had to buy it. Ive been using it for my brows, and ive never had this many compliments. I just started using it as an eyeshadow, and its just as gorgeous. I love its versatility, and it just makes this purchase so much worth my dollar. Definately repurchasing. Highly Recommend!