MAC Cosmetics Matte - Charcoal Brown

MAC Cosmetics Matte - Charcoal Brown
Matte - Charcoal BrownMatte - Charcoal Brown

4.6

on 5/5/2009 11:44:00 AM

I love this eyeshadow, it looks boring in the pan, but when you put it on it's the most flattering shade of brown that can be sheer or dark depending on how you apply it. As I gain more experience, I've realised that often the most boring MAC shades work the best to create an uncomplicated, polished look. It creates a super sexy natural smokey eye, that doesn't look over the top.

For reference I have fair to medium skin, green eyes and brown hair with a cool undertone, and normally most brown eyeshadows clash terribly with my skin tone because they either have too many red tones in them, or are too bronzy and designed for warm toned skins. But because this brown is neutral it goes wonderfully with my skin tone, and makes me eyes look very green.

Blend with a 224 MAC brush for a flawless smokey eye or use wet as an eyeliner!

on 12/28/2011 5:28:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I previously used Omega or Coquette in my eyebrows, but they started to look a little bit too grey and sometimes green. This is the perfect neutral brown... no red, no orange, no khaki or green tones. It's nicely pigmented too. I debated for a long time whether or not to get this and I'm so glad I did.

I only discovered this a month ago, and have been using it everyday since. It is a great crease color for me, both with natural looks or smokey eyes. It is not too warm, nor too cool, but seems to be neutral. While this shade may not be unique or eye-catching in the pan, the formula is what I'm in love with. This matte shadow blends easily, evenly and does not fade or change colour throughout the day. Most other brown shadows turn reddish, or orange on my lids by midday, as it reacts to the oils in my skin. Most other matte brown shadows I've tried have been a pain to blend, looking blotchy and losing it's pigmentation after furious back and forth motions with a brush.

I would re-purchase this no questions asked.

I use this charcoal brown shade for my eyebrows, and it is the perfect colour for all hair shades in my opinion! I bought this after seeing a lot of beauty bloggers using it and it's amazing, it has a perfect consistency for a natural looking brow, with a dark brown tone that suite blondes, brunette and all hair types! I recommend this product to anyone who is looking for a long lasting brow filler!

After hearing Tanya Burr rave about this on YouTube, I had to pick it up. Initially I thought it would make a good crease color for me since I'm pretty fair and have pinky undertones, and I do love it for that and use it as a nice transition color nearly everyday. But what I die about it for is on my eyebrows!! I never thought I could use it since I have baby blonde hair and super light eyebrows, but it perfectly sculpts them and gives them a little bit more strength without being too bold or over the top. I seriously would rather have this stuff on my eyebrows than even wear mascara if I had to choose. Its amazing, so transformative!

on 2/21/2010 6:19:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Wow, what can I say about this eyeshadow? This is one of the most versatile colors I have ever used.

Charcoal Brown is a matte, mid-to-dark, fairly cool brown. It has decent pigmentation, goes on smoothly, and is easily buildable. As an eyeshadow, it can be used as an all-over lid color or as a crease color. It can also work as a very dramatic or very natural color, depending on how you use it. I have used it as the base for a very smokey eye (with Contrast, of all things!), but am wearing it today as an all-over lid color very softly with very little other makeup as a very natural, no-makeup look.

This shadow can be used wet, either to intensify the shadow color or to use as a cake liner. As a liner, it is very subtle (much like Clinique's cake liner), but can be built for more impact. It lasts well on the upper lash line for this purpose, but may smudge a bit down below.

Finally, I have used this as a brow powder now that I have changed my hair color to brunette. It is soft and natural looking, and lasts all day...wonderful!

Seriously, I can use this for just about everything. It's just an all-around great product. If you are looking for a great neutral brown, this is definitely for you. It's a multitasking workhorse!

on 1/10/2014 1:46:00 PM

This is a perfect shade for brows, smooth application, great color payoff. Would definitely recommend it to anyone looks for a great brow powder.

on 3/10/2013 6:16:00 AM

I simply have to pay my respects to this wonderful matte e/s for it has served me faithfully for YEARS! Before discovering Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz, this was my go-to eyebrow powder. It's a lovely, cool brown, and since I no longer need it for my brows I've been wearing it all over the lid which I LOVE! So flattering on my grey-blue eyes and PPP NW10 skin. 5/5. FYI: I don't believe the photos posted here do this e/s justice - it's darker and cooler IRL.

on 10/17/2011 7:21:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I know people love this product for their brows but I bought it for its intended purpose - as an eye shadow. I put off buying Charcoal Brown for a LOOOONG time. I'd read about how great it was and then I'd look at it in store and be unimpressed....for something with "charcoal" in the name, it was singularly lacking in "charcoal-ness". Well, I should have followed my initial instincts. I got this on Friday (it's now Monday) and I've worn it every day since and played with it a bit and, sorry, but to me, it's just not that special. I can get the same effect using Brun with a light hand and a 224 brush or using Omega and/or Wedge with a heavier hand. This isn't a "bad" shadow but it's really nothing special either. I am hoping that if I play around with it a bit more and try it with some other shadows, I might hit upon a combination that makes Charcoal Brown into something indispensable, but for now, I'm feeling pretty "meh" about it and would not repurchase.
UPDATE: Since buying MAC's Sweet Satisfaction (Pro Longwear eye shadow), I've found that the pairing of SS and Charcoal Brown works really well to create a sculpted and flattering eye that is suitable for day/work. Suddenly, Charcoal Brown (in the crease to contour) looks like something worth having and Sweet Satisfaction, which is another of those sort of "meh" shadows when first applied on its own, really comes alive too.

Charcoal Brown is a little too boring for my taste to use as an eyeshadow. It's like a muted version of Espresso, which is already considered a muted brown. I use it only to fill in my eyebrows and sometimes to soften darker eyeshadows. It's not a staple to me, I can easily live without it. Will not repurchase, if ever I come to hit pan, which is not for tomorrow.