Smashbox Single Eye Shadow- Smashing Strike

No Image

3.8

on 3/12/2009 11:39:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is a rather bland neutral eyeshadow. if there was more shimmer than I guess I would buy it again. I prefer mac shroom to this one.

Let me start by saying I generally love Smashbox products but this shadow is so...meh. The color is wheaty and dull, and it really doesn't do very well as a highlight for me because, well, since when is "wheaty" a nice highlight color? The texture is fine, pigmentation to me isn't that great, my biggest gripe is obviously the dull color. My HG powder highlighter is NARS Albatross and I'd even prefer to deal with the messy MAC Vanilla pigment than Strike. Price was cheap though because Smashbox has the color under clearance. Too bad for me because I really wanted to like this.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I actually quite like this shadow, its a nice neutral beige-champagne type of colour. Like another reviewer mentioned it does look similar to stila's wheat in the pan, but goes on much beigier and lighter than wheat does. [wheat looks slightly greyish on me]. So this is one that I'll use, its rather useful for the minimal-makeup-look.

on 9/26/2007 8:13:00 AM

I agree that I can't believe all the bad reviews. I first got this ages ago in a set from QVC. It's the only thing I kept from that set...and I used it up, then panicked when I realized I couldn't buy it as a single. Thankfully a generous and kind MUAer RAOK'd to me. These days, I reach for it less, just b/c I am constantly rotating es, but every thime I use it, I remember why I love it and finished one. It's the perfect beig-y champagne es w/ a hint of sheen. Applies well, and lasts all day. Great texture too. NC20-25ish, blonde, blue.

on 7/24/2007 1:21:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Good champagne/beige color. I agree with a previous review - boring in the pan. I find that it works a lot better with UD Primer Potion underneath.

Overall, a good highlighting shade and I will be purchasing again if I ever run out.

on 4/9/2007 1:55:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

In the pan this color looks so boring, but when applied it is a very pretty and soft slightly shimmery beige that is perfect for layering with a darker khaki or a pine color. On the smashbox website it described it as an oyster color, wihch I don't really agree with since this is much more beige than an oyster color, but I still think it is very wearable for all kinds of skintones. I also am very impressed with the smooth texture of Smashbox shadows.

on 4/6/2007 11:06:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

First off, I got this color from the "Smashbox Summer Glow Collections" from Costco for some $30. I love the light shimmery effect of the shadow. I pair it with the single eyeshadow bronze that it came with by applying strike in my crease area. Completely wearable during the day. I'm glad it came in the collection. I would repurchase.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This is one of those sleeper shades that hangs out in the back of your makeup drawer, ignored time and again in favor of brighter, more eye-catching colors. Until one day, when you're in the mood for something a little quieter, you pick this up and go hmmmm...

In the pan, this is a soft champagne gold with light shimmer. On the lids, it's a subtle wash of pure light with the most attractive sheen to it. All you really need with this, as mentioned previously, is some dark liner and lots of mascara, but it looks beautiful with just about every one of the more interesting shades I own. It doesn't compete with them, instead it gives them a boost. As a brow highlighter, it's very subtle, adding just the right finishing touch to everything from everyday taupes to more intense jewel-tones. It's a neutral gold, neither warm nor cool, which makes it even more versatile. Lots of lines have a gold shadow but most are too warm for me, or too bright. The pigmentation and wear are superb and the application is silky-smooth, which are all typical of Smashbox. All these qualities combined make this shadow unique.

A previous reviewer compared this to BE Celestine, which I also own, and it's not gold at all but a champagne pink with tons of sparkle, and it's more suited to nighttime wear. A beautiful shade, but not at all subtle, and not nearly as versatile.

This is no longer available from Smashbox so I can't repurchase even though I said I would. The one I have was part of a set called The Runway something or other, but I think it was also offered as a shadow single. I'm already looking for a replacement since I'm using this frequently and will surely use up my pan. I'll update if I ever find a suitable replacement. Studio Gear Moon is the closest I've found so far, but I'll update once I've done a proper comparison.

on 12/13/2005 2:16:00 AM

What a boring color. Wheaty, taupey, no shimmer, nothing. It doesn't even have enough color to work as a highlighter. The quality is good, like all Smashbox eyeshadows, but the color is so yucky that it's useless to me. I think I'm too young to wear this color (no offense, I just like to wear bright colors while I can still pull them off!).

on 2/7/2005 5:47:00 PM

Don't know why the reviews were so negative - this is a good, basic champagne/wheat frosty shadow that goes well with almost anything. I've mostly used it with browns, although lately I've been pairing it with MAC Trax (dark purple with gold shimmer). Nice quality, doesn't crease or fade. I got this as part of a set of makeup so I'm not sure how much it individually retails for. I *think* I would buy it again, but I have to admit, there are probably a lot of other shadows out there that look the same.