MAC Frost - Sable

MAC Frost - Sable
Frost - SableMAC e/s in SableMac Sable EyeshadowMAC

4.6

on 2/13/2017 10:10:00 AM

I was searching for something that would really bring out my brown eyes, one-and-done-ish but also a shade that could be easily incorporated with my other eyeshadows if I wanted to. I've been really...disillusioned (a bit dramatic, just go with it) with eye makeup lately. I haven't found anything I truly loved, quality-wise yes, but also anything I've been doing to my eyes is either weirdly aging or doesn't fit in with my current aesthetic (minimal gypsy witch with a splash of pinup if I'm feeling it). So I've been really simplifying things and focusing on skin/cheeks/highlight. Yet I pined away for my long lost eyeshadow love, gazing daily at my scads of palettes and singles and obscenely clean brushes. (Look, I said I was feeling dramatic.) And so I hit up MAC, as I am wont to do. I debated (heavily, with both myself and the SA) between Sable and Woodwinked, and eventually went with Sable. (I plan on going back for Woodwinked, natch.)

Sable is a frost, a reddish brown bronze (with perhaps a slight tinge of purple?) that for some reason isn't too warm on my cool-ish winter light olive skintone. It does extremely nice things to my eyes, making them look lustrous and deep. I've been favoring it on its own, with some black liner on the waterline and a ton of black mascara, but this is a versatile shade and I'll soon branch out. The frost is beautiful, not patchy. There is absolutely no fallout, which is miraculous and something I had forgotten even exists. It wears all day with primer, but I prefer the way it looks without it - some wear time is sacrificed, but it melts into the skin, fading slightly into a lovely shadowy sheen. It's definitely very minimal gypsy witch.

I've had a lot of MAC shadows I've genuinely adored over the years, but lately (as I'm sure you know) it's been tough to go the singles route since palettes are so eye-catching and overall a better bargain. That is, if every shade works for you. But I'm kind of over palettes and want to work on curating a perfect collection for my specific needs, and while MAC shadows can definitely be hit or miss, I really must recommend the hits - they're glorious. Sable is a beautiful product and I will now embark on my new makeup journey...wish me well...adios my friends. Thank you for reading.

on 10/21/2016 10:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Stunning in the pan and on the lids, plus it really brings out my brown eyes. Perfect for the fall as well. I'm so glad I took a chance on this shade. I was eyeing so many others lol.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I got this recently & today Ive been wearing it with my Sephora Blockbuster (2016) palette lately. I like to put a peach on the lid, Sable in the crease, a cream in the inner corner/hi-lite, w black eyeliner top lashline & 1/3 outer lash like below lashline then MAC fascinating in the waterline (white liner) w black mascara. I smoke out the liner so it's not precise or another way to wear it is on the lid/in the crease w teal eyeliner on the bottom line as a pop of color. Or u can wear it in the crease alone w brown eyeliner or black eyeliner, u can wear this as an eyeliner rimming your lids, just so many ways to wear this. It's so versatile. It really brings out grey eyes. It is a brown w purple & fleck of red. Stila kitten or MAC All That Glitters are good lid colors w Sable in the crease. I would rebuy. #winning #looksgoodoneveryone

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

So glad the SA recommended this to me!! This is the best one & done eye ever! This plus mascara equals perfect day eye for me. My dark green/hazel eyes just pop with color. My other favorite is Satin Taupe - if you like that one try this out.

It|s a frosty pinkish bronze colour. Not glittery, doesn't fall. Good pigmentation and blendability.

on 3/2/2015 7:39:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Stunning. I can see why this shadow gets some of the highest reviews. Perfectly pigmented and creamy plummy reddish bronze with plenty of dimensional sheen. The frost allows it to be worn on the lid without looking too dark, but it is also lovely as a crease color. On lazy days, I apply this from my lid into my crease, and it's still gorgeous. I have this color as well as Twinks. Twinks is similiar, but the the finish makes it darker, less red, and less frosty. IMO, Twinks makes a better crease color and Sable makes a better lid color. I do love both.

on 10/27/2014 9:50:00 AM

i swotched this at mac store, and it looked like a warm plumy broze colour, i fell in love with colour, this is great as a eyelid colour, paired with sketch, and warm to light browns. i would repurchase as i loved the warmth of this shadow. the price should be lowered for ones in the pan, and singles.. [ mac packaging ].... however the colour i just fell in love with, just like when i saw antiqued and mulch. i find this colour unique also. looks so nice, for neutral smoky eyes.

on 5/24/2014 7:31:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Medium

Beautiful red undertoned brown (on me anyway) as with most mac eyeshadows blends like a dream and lasts all day with no loss of intensity. As for packaging I have this in a pro palette so mine came as a small refill but I've always loved mac's packaging. Again as mine is a refill the price was $26 which is steep for an eyeshadow but the quality and the longevity of this product makes it worth it.

on 5/21/2014 2:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I think Sable was one of my first Mac purchases -- based on a friend's recommendation. But back then, I don't think I knew what to do with it because I don't remember loving it at first. But now that I've revisited this beautiful shadow -- I want to review it.

I have blue eyes and fair/neutral skin tone. This comes off a tiny bit reddish on me but it is absolutely stunning. It's brown/bronze/red/shimmer -- but not too much of either. My favorite way to wear this is apply it on my eyelid with my finger, then blend out with a blending brush into the crease. I run it along my lower lash line, blend out any harsh lines with a transitional shade. THEN -- to top it all off -- I lightly pat Stila Kitten on the center and inner part of my lid. For some reason, this softens the brown and really makes for a beautifully, soft, daytime look. Glad that I rediscovered this gem!

on 1/29/2014 6:01:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

AMAZING. Beautiful texture, color, tone, wear and everything else. Couldn't be happier! This has a gorgeous shimmer/glow and makes my brown eyes pop.

Had so so many compliments with wearing this with MAC naked lunch on lower lid and MAC shroom as a highlighter. Sable is what I wanted MAC taupe to be, unfortunately taupe made me look like I'd been punched! So if taupe is also horrid with your skin tone, give sable a go.

True HG for me and I've purchased it at least 4 times, which is saying something given the
pigment and how long one of them lasts.