Avene Cold Cream Lip Balm

Filtered by eye Color : Brown

2.9

SQUALANE, RICINUS COMMUNIS (CASTOR) SEED OIL (RICINUS COMMUNIS SEED OIL), BEESWAX (CERA ALBA), BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII (SHEA) BUTTER (BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII BUTTER), MINERAL OIL (PARAFFINUM LIQUIDUM), COPERNICIA CERIFERA (CARNAUBA) WAX (COPERNICIA CERIFERA CERA), ALUMINUM SUCROSE OCTASULFATE, GLYCERYL LINOLEATE, AVENE THERMAL SPRING WATER, BISABOLOL, FRAGRANCE, GLYCERYL LINOLENATE, GLYCERYL OLEATE, GLYCERYL PALMITATE, GLYCERYL STEARATE - GLYCINE SOJA (SOYBEAN) OIL (GLYCINE SOJA OIL), MICA, STEARYL GLYCYRRHETINATE, TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891), TOCOPHEROL , TOCOPHERYL ACETATE.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

The Avene Cold Cream Lip Balm is a mid-level alternative to more costly lip balms that I frequent. I like the consistency of the balm, it leaves a cream sheen after application. Although I do not believe the product description for how long the moisture lasts, this is an alright balm that I like much better than other balms that leave my lips glossy.

This lip balm has been my most recent purchase in my never-ending quest to find the perfect hydrating lip balm for my chronically dry and cracked lips. Because few balms have actually come close to providing the level of protection I need, I bit the bullet and paid the dear price of $17 CAD in hopes that the SA at Shoppers Drug Mart was correct in explaining to me that this product is designed specifically to combat the conditions my lips face on a daily basis (the promise of a full refund with a receipt greatly helped as well).

The first thing I note about this lip balm is that it's encased in one of the bulkiest packaging I've come across, which doesn't bother me, but I found it a bit surprising. It has 4g of product, while my Hemp Lip Conditioner from The Body Shop, which is half the size, contains 4.2g. That being said, it is pretty nice quality packaging and feels solid to hold in your hand and open/close.

The second thing I immediately noticed upon opening it is that the balm has a slanted shape, but is itself quite wide. It is more than the width of my bottom lip (which is not that thin, thankfully!), and so I have to be carefully not to nick the product on my teeth or get it all around my lips due to its size. The balm looks slightly greyish and shimmery, almost like a fine stone, which I found interesting. It certainly looks the part of a luxury item considering its price! I find the smell of the product to be in inoffensively sweet and slightly waxy - rather pleasant, in my opinion. Almost reminds me of that slightly scented play dough that kids play with.

Ok, on to the actually functionality of the product. The balm does apply quite thick and is absorbed slowly, one of the main reasons that I was going to rate it highly. However, for some reason the designers of this product felt it necessary to include a shimmer/glitter that is quite obvious when someone is wearing it. Not that I care TOO much about what it looks like (although it is noticeable enough that I have to be mindful of my usage of it during the day), my problem with this is that a balm whose functionality is to heal, repair, and protect lips from irritation should not have any sort of ingredients that might cause these problems to persist or worsen. Myself, I have not had a bad reaction to this balm or noticed my condition get worse as a result of using this balm, but I have noticed that it doesn't seem to be able to hydrate my lips as well as my Hemp Lip Conditioner. It does help if used often enough - to a certain degree my lips do feel softer and some of the dryness is repaired. My suspicion is that this product simply falls short of its curing potential because of certain ingredients that are likely just there to make the item look more luxurious or aesthetically pleasing. Because of this, and the steep price I had to pay for it, it loses two ratings from me.

I will continue to use it now that I have it because it's cons are acceptable enough for me to finish it, and the pros (hydrating/protection capacity) are decent. I would not recommend this specific balm, as it is too expensive as a result of claims that it falls short of. Instead, my recommendation is The Body Shop's Hemp Lip Conditioner, which is $8 CAD for 4.2g of product. I have written a review for it as well, please give it a read if you are looking for something to heal your lips.

TLDR: Though it is decent, this product is not worth its exorbitant price ($17 CAD at Shoppers Drug Mart). The Body Shop's Hemp Lip Conditioner provides equal, if not better, protection and hydration (without the uncalled-for shimmer that this balm has) for half the price. If you are looking for a balm to heal severely dry and cracked lips, go easy on your wallet and get yourself the Hemp one instead. You are not missing out on anything special by giving this one a pass.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I've tried this lip balm as an alternative to my usual Burt's Bees when I ran out. I've used other products from Avene and they were hit or miss. This was definitely a miss.

Upon application it gave the appearance of chapped lips. Perhaps its because I've darker colored lips that it didn't work on me. I'll give it the benefit of doubt nonetheless, they should have specified it.

Furthermore, the lip balm left a heavy, uncomfortable sensation on the lips. It did not seem to hydrate my lips much either. I did not enjoy a single application of this lip balm. I simply used it to try and make the most of my money. I've since gone back to my Burt's Bees Red Dahlia tinted lip balm and I've got more hydrated lips plus a coat of flattering sheer color all for a lower price than this appalling product.

This lipbalm saved my lips. Firstly, I have a habit of putting lipbalm before sleeping.
I had an reaction to Burt Bees, my lips started to itch and soon my lips became very dry and cracked a lot. Kind of like eczema. This lasted for two weeks. I used other lip balms but it didn't help. My mom got me this to try. And my lips got better every day. Yes I was turn off by the smell and the texture is quite sticky. But it saved my lips. There for I give it 4/5.

It works in cold weather too. Brought this to Japan during winter. My lips did not crack at all.

Very good lipbalm for sensitive skin and winter !

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This was definitely one of the most revolting lip balms I have ever purchased. Okay, I didn't purchase it, my dad did and when I stumbled upon it in my house I decided to give it a go seeing as it was from Avene. However, I was sorely disappointed with it's lack of moisturising abilities. It left my lips even more dry and flaky!!!

The texture was also another huge let down, it's creamy and soft(just like cold cream) but it doesn't sink into my lips at all which is quite a hassle especially if I want to eat or drink something.

I switched this for Eucerin's Lip Activ and have never looked back!!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I keep repurchasing this product again and again for years, because it is my favorite lip care product! I used to have terrible chapped lips and I was trying various brands' lip balms and butters to find the perfect one. I really tried a lot so that I can compare them.

The product claims that ''it relieves dry, flaky and chapped lips, and cocoons the skin in an emollient barrier that protects against external aggressors. Also it Immediately softens lips as it heals, restores and protects.''
I coudn't explained it better. Everything is true! It does what a lip balm should do and even more. There is not a single disadvantage, at least for me.This is my HG!!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I am almost ready to toss this! I had initially bought this to replace my burts bee mango lipbalm..not that I dislike the burts bees one but it had a pretty strong fragrance to it. I bought the avene one thinking it would work even better and without the fragrance. After using this for about a week, I didn't notice any difference to my chapped lips. I used it often as an overnight lip treatment. It goes on kinda thick ( you can see white residue on your lips immediately after applying) and in the morning I would still be able to see the thick layer on my lips. On my first try, I thought it meant I would have smooth soft lips in the morning. However, it was just gross and peeling. I tried it day after day and it was still the same. I ended up applying it at night and scrubbing at my lips with my toothbrush to remove the layer of lipbalm along with my peeling lips. Almost tempted to buy Dior creme de rose now.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I just tossed mine. If I had nice lips and were just looking for some protection, it could be ok. But I want something that really moisturizes. It covers with a very thick layer, but does not last. When the layer is gone, I still have the same lips as before. No added moisture or repair. Nothing. Same dry lips needing protection. I can think of many lip balms and even lipsticks that do better. Waste of money. Oh, and bought in Germany.

I LOVE this, and I'm shocked that there aren't more positive reviews! I'm on accutane, and this is the ONLY thing other than Aquaphor that helps me. Bought it on a total whim - I left home without anything for my lips and soon enough my lips were dying of thirst.

The packaging sucks (the tube cracked almost immediately) and I used up half of the stick in only a week. It leaves an opaque white coat (which I think looks nice, even though I'm a guy. whatever).

Who cares though? INSTANT relief!!! My lips look and feel great for HOURS after using this product, and on accutane this is a RARITY (anyone who has taken it will know). I still stick to Aquaphor at night, just because this lip balm is so expensive. But it's portable, which Aquaphor is not. I wish I knew about this earlier on.

5/5, hands DOWN.

At first i loved it, the smell is nice and my lips felt soft, but after a while i noticed that in the morning, although i applied the balm in the evening, i woke up with dry lips and during the day i applied the balm like crazy to get rid of that uncomfortable feeling, still it didn't help!!! I love Avene products, but this one is doing more harm than good.