Avene Cold Cream Lip Balm

Filtered by hair type : Straight

3.1

SQUALANE, RICINUS COMMUNIS (CASTOR) SEED OIL (RICINUS COMMUNIS SEED OIL), BEESWAX (CERA ALBA), BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII (SHEA) BUTTER (BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII BUTTER), MINERAL OIL (PARAFFINUM LIQUIDUM), COPERNICIA CERIFERA (CARNAUBA) WAX (COPERNICIA CERIFERA CERA), ALUMINUM SUCROSE OCTASULFATE, GLYCERYL LINOLEATE, AVENE THERMAL SPRING WATER, BISABOLOL, FRAGRANCE, GLYCERYL LINOLENATE, GLYCERYL OLEATE, GLYCERYL PALMITATE, GLYCERYL STEARATE - GLYCINE SOJA (SOYBEAN) OIL (GLYCINE SOJA OIL), MICA, STEARYL GLYCYRRHETINATE, TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891), TOCOPHEROL , TOCOPHERYL ACETATE.

This lip balm has been my most recent purchase in my never-ending quest to find the perfect hydrating lip balm for my chronically dry and cracked lips. Because few balms have actually come close to providing the level of protection I need, I bit the bullet and paid the dear price of $17 CAD in hopes that the SA at Shoppers Drug Mart was correct in explaining to me that this product is designed specifically to combat the conditions my lips face on a daily basis (the promise of a full refund with a receipt greatly helped as well).

The first thing I note about this lip balm is that it's encased in one of the bulkiest packaging I've come across, which doesn't bother me, but I found it a bit surprising. It has 4g of product, while my Hemp Lip Conditioner from The Body Shop, which is half the size, contains 4.2g. That being said, it is pretty nice quality packaging and feels solid to hold in your hand and open/close.

The second thing I immediately noticed upon opening it is that the balm has a slanted shape, but is itself quite wide. It is more than the width of my bottom lip (which is not that thin, thankfully!), and so I have to be carefully not to nick the product on my teeth or get it all around my lips due to its size. The balm looks slightly greyish and shimmery, almost like a fine stone, which I found interesting. It certainly looks the part of a luxury item considering its price! I find the smell of the product to be in inoffensively sweet and slightly waxy - rather pleasant, in my opinion. Almost reminds me of that slightly scented play dough that kids play with.

Ok, on to the actually functionality of the product. The balm does apply quite thick and is absorbed slowly, one of the main reasons that I was going to rate it highly. However, for some reason the designers of this product felt it necessary to include a shimmer/glitter that is quite obvious when someone is wearing it. Not that I care TOO much about what it looks like (although it is noticeable enough that I have to be mindful of my usage of it during the day), my problem with this is that a balm whose functionality is to heal, repair, and protect lips from irritation should not have any sort of ingredients that might cause these problems to persist or worsen. Myself, I have not had a bad reaction to this balm or noticed my condition get worse as a result of using this balm, but I have noticed that it doesn't seem to be able to hydrate my lips as well as my Hemp Lip Conditioner. It does help if used often enough - to a certain degree my lips do feel softer and some of the dryness is repaired. My suspicion is that this product simply falls short of its curing potential because of certain ingredients that are likely just there to make the item look more luxurious or aesthetically pleasing. Because of this, and the steep price I had to pay for it, it loses two ratings from me.

I will continue to use it now that I have it because it's cons are acceptable enough for me to finish it, and the pros (hydrating/protection capacity) are decent. I would not recommend this specific balm, as it is too expensive as a result of claims that it falls short of. Instead, my recommendation is The Body Shop's Hemp Lip Conditioner, which is $8 CAD for 4.2g of product. I have written a review for it as well, please give it a read if you are looking for something to heal your lips.

TLDR: Though it is decent, this product is not worth its exorbitant price ($17 CAD at Shoppers Drug Mart). The Body Shop's Hemp Lip Conditioner provides equal, if not better, protection and hydration (without the uncalled-for shimmer that this balm has) for half the price. If you are looking for a balm to heal severely dry and cracked lips, go easy on your wallet and get yourself the Hemp one instead. You are not missing out on anything special by giving this one a pass.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Overall, this is an ok lip balm... But i dislike the fact that it's too shimmery! If you put to much on your lips, you will look like a corpse. I don't think i will buy it again. I always wear it with a glossy lip balm on tip, all because of that shimmer. Why put shimmer in a hydrating lip balm, WHY?!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought this after seeing some really good reviews here on MUA. I've been using it constantly for a while now and have to say I'm pretty disappointed.

First up, I really dislike the packaging. The tube is too wide for my liking. I don't get a very precise application with it, it seems like any way I apply it I end up with it outside my lips.

The product itself is very creamy and feels good on my lips. However, it doesn't last very long. I find myself reapplying it constantly. It does leave a bit of a white cast on your lips, but it wasn't anything that really bothered me. It also has a bit of a pearl-essence to it, but it is nothing too noticeable.

The last thing I disliked about this lip balm is the price. I think I paid just over $10 for it from Amazon. If it was a miracle product I wouldn't mind the price. However, since it really didn't impress me, I can't justify paying that much for a lip balm again.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I keep repurchasing this product again and again for years, because it is my favorite lip care product! I used to have terrible chapped lips and I was trying various brands' lip balms and butters to find the perfect one. I really tried a lot so that I can compare them.

The product claims that ''it relieves dry, flaky and chapped lips, and cocoons the skin in an emollient barrier that protects against external aggressors. Also it Immediately softens lips as it heals, restores and protects.''
I coudn't explained it better. Everything is true! It does what a lip balm should do and even more. There is not a single disadvantage, at least for me.This is my HG!!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

For reference: fair, sensitive, dry, eczemaic skin/lips. recovering from severely dry/flaky lips.

INGREDIENTS - Product utilizes an unique ingredient, which is used as a moisture barrier post-surgery within the stomach

PRICE - For $15 a pop, my expectations were high for this lip balm! Rec was that I use it twice a day and it should last for for 6 months - This is not realistic to me. I use it a few times throughout the day, which is a change from 50 times a day with my go-to Blistex tube.

TRIAL - Great staying power. It has withstood the make-out test. I've been using this for a few days now. The first couple days, I had to re-apply numerous times throughout the day, but the need for re-application is decreasing as my lips recover.

TEXTURE - It sinks into my lips quickly and soon feels like the product evaporates, but this doesn't seem to be the case.It is unlike regular, waxy lip balms that smother your lips with moisture and sit there.

BENEFIT - nicer lips for smooth lipstick application that I haven't had before. Loving it!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is one fabulous lip treatment! Yes, it does leave a slight white sheen, which is usually enough for me to hate enough on a lip balm to throw it out. But I just cannot ignore how well it performs. My favourite lip balm is Weledas Everon, which smells nice (like honey) and doesn't leave a tint, BUT it's not nearly as effective as this one when my lips are all dry and flaky. I can pile this on dried-out lips before bed and wake up with lips that have magically HEALED overnight. And better yet, you don't need to reapply all the time, which is why I often forget how great it is.

Really great for outdoor activities in cold weather as well, unlike those balms that are mainly petrolatum-based.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I'm honestly shocked at the poor quality of this lip balm. On my lips it doesn't do ANYTHING - differently to what most of Avene products do for my skin. A big big big disappointment.

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

Does nothing for my lips, plus they look weird and white -ish with this 'mosturiser' on. One of the worst lip mosturisers i' ve ever bought

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Bad result as Burt's Bee. Nothing happened on my lips, only pale look and worse chapped lips. I dont understand why it doesnt work at all, since I use the thermal water and cleanance K, they produce great result. Never buy it again.

This product was great the first few times I applied it, but somewhere along the way it changed in consistency and was just awful. It became extremely hard to apply, left a white, chunky mess, and was as if I'd run a child's glue stick over my lips. I bought this in a two-pack, and opened the second tube which worked great like the first one had in the beginning, however, two weeks laster, it changed in consistency and was hard like the other. I tossed it and do not recommend this.