Avene Cold Cream Lip Balm

3.2

SQUALANE, RICINUS COMMUNIS (CASTOR) SEED OIL (RICINUS COMMUNIS SEED OIL), BEESWAX (CERA ALBA), BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII (SHEA) BUTTER (BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII BUTTER), MINERAL OIL (PARAFFINUM LIQUIDUM), COPERNICIA CERIFERA (CARNAUBA) WAX (COPERNICIA CERIFERA CERA), ALUMINUM SUCROSE OCTASULFATE, GLYCERYL LINOLEATE, AVENE THERMAL SPRING WATER, BISABOLOL, FRAGRANCE, GLYCERYL LINOLENATE, GLYCERYL OLEATE, GLYCERYL PALMITATE, GLYCERYL STEARATE - GLYCINE SOJA (SOYBEAN) OIL (GLYCINE SOJA OIL), MICA, STEARYL GLYCYRRHETINATE, TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891), TOCOPHEROL , TOCOPHERYL ACETATE.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

The Avene Cold Cream Lip Balm is a mid-level alternative to more costly lip balms that I frequent. I like the consistency of the balm, it leaves a cream sheen after application. Although I do not believe the product description for how long the moisture lasts, this is an alright balm that I like much better than other balms that leave my lips glossy.

My lips had angular chelitis (cracking along the corners of my mouth) and were so badly chapped that scabbing started to occur on my lips. This lip balm cured my lips in a matter of days when no other lip balm could. I like how it preps my lips for lip sticks and nourishes them before bed. Although pricey I find it highly worth the money. The packaging on mine the lid cracked a little so thats not a plus but I like the angular shape of the lip balm which feels like im applying a lipstick

This lip balm has been my most recent purchase in my never-ending quest to find the perfect hydrating lip balm for my chronically dry and cracked lips. Because few balms have actually come close to providing the level of protection I need, I bit the bullet and paid the dear price of $17 CAD in hopes that the SA at Shoppers Drug Mart was correct in explaining to me that this product is designed specifically to combat the conditions my lips face on a daily basis (the promise of a full refund with a receipt greatly helped as well).

The first thing I note about this lip balm is that it's encased in one of the bulkiest packaging I've come across, which doesn't bother me, but I found it a bit surprising. It has 4g of product, while my Hemp Lip Conditioner from The Body Shop, which is half the size, contains 4.2g. That being said, it is pretty nice quality packaging and feels solid to hold in your hand and open/close.

The second thing I immediately noticed upon opening it is that the balm has a slanted shape, but is itself quite wide. It is more than the width of my bottom lip (which is not that thin, thankfully!), and so I have to be carefully not to nick the product on my teeth or get it all around my lips due to its size. The balm looks slightly greyish and shimmery, almost like a fine stone, which I found interesting. It certainly looks the part of a luxury item considering its price! I find the smell of the product to be in inoffensively sweet and slightly waxy - rather pleasant, in my opinion. Almost reminds me of that slightly scented play dough that kids play with.

Ok, on to the actually functionality of the product. The balm does apply quite thick and is absorbed slowly, one of the main reasons that I was going to rate it highly. However, for some reason the designers of this product felt it necessary to include a shimmer/glitter that is quite obvious when someone is wearing it. Not that I care TOO much about what it looks like (although it is noticeable enough that I have to be mindful of my usage of it during the day), my problem with this is that a balm whose functionality is to heal, repair, and protect lips from irritation should not have any sort of ingredients that might cause these problems to persist or worsen. Myself, I have not had a bad reaction to this balm or noticed my condition get worse as a result of using this balm, but I have noticed that it doesn't seem to be able to hydrate my lips as well as my Hemp Lip Conditioner. It does help if used often enough - to a certain degree my lips do feel softer and some of the dryness is repaired. My suspicion is that this product simply falls short of its curing potential because of certain ingredients that are likely just there to make the item look more luxurious or aesthetically pleasing. Because of this, and the steep price I had to pay for it, it loses two ratings from me.

I will continue to use it now that I have it because it's cons are acceptable enough for me to finish it, and the pros (hydrating/protection capacity) are decent. I would not recommend this specific balm, as it is too expensive as a result of claims that it falls short of. Instead, my recommendation is The Body Shop's Hemp Lip Conditioner, which is $8 CAD for 4.2g of product. I have written a review for it as well, please give it a read if you are looking for something to heal your lips.

TLDR: Though it is decent, this product is not worth its exorbitant price ($17 CAD at Shoppers Drug Mart). The Body Shop's Hemp Lip Conditioner provides equal, if not better, protection and hydration (without the uncalled-for shimmer that this balm has) for half the price. If you are looking for a balm to heal severely dry and cracked lips, go easy on your wallet and get yourself the Hemp one instead. You are not missing out on anything special by giving this one a pass.

This is a thick white lip balm and it leaves white residue and shimmery finish behind. That's why I use it only at night or when I am at home. Ingredientwise it's not the best, but I'm satisfied with its effect. I'll keep buying.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I've tried this lip balm as an alternative to my usual Burt's Bees when I ran out. I've used other products from Avene and they were hit or miss. This was definitely a miss.

Upon application it gave the appearance of chapped lips. Perhaps its because I've darker colored lips that it didn't work on me. I'll give it the benefit of doubt nonetheless, they should have specified it.

Furthermore, the lip balm left a heavy, uncomfortable sensation on the lips. It did not seem to hydrate my lips much either. I did not enjoy a single application of this lip balm. I simply used it to try and make the most of my money. I've since gone back to my Burt's Bees Red Dahlia tinted lip balm and I've got more hydrated lips plus a coat of flattering sheer color all for a lower price than this appalling product.

This is suppose to be a lip treatment cold cream. I haven't witness any drastic improvement to heel chappy lips. I don't see a reason to have to use this product if it doesn't produce better results than a regular chapstick. I might as well use a chapstick that is cheaper and more effective. This also leaves a white film on your lips which results in the person using it look sickly/dead. Makes your lips look extremely pale and unhealthy like. Don't recommend this product.

This lipbalm saved my lips. Firstly, I have a habit of putting lipbalm before sleeping.
I had an reaction to Burt Bees, my lips started to itch and soon my lips became very dry and cracked a lot. Kind of like eczema. This lasted for two weeks. I used other lip balms but it didn't help. My mom got me this to try. And my lips got better every day. Yes I was turn off by the smell and the texture is quite sticky. But it saved my lips. There for I give it 4/5.

It works in cold weather too. Brought this to Japan during winter. My lips did not crack at all.

Very good lipbalm for sensitive skin and winter !

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Overall, this is an ok lip balm... But i dislike the fact that it's too shimmery! If you put to much on your lips, you will look like a corpse. I don't think i will buy it again. I always wear it with a glossy lip balm on tip, all because of that shimmer. Why put shimmer in a hydrating lip balm, WHY?!

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

A must have for cold Canadian winters. I walk a lot outside during the winter and work at a cold ice rink and my lips see the effects of the weather. I love the taste and smell of this, it's mild and unlike most lip balms it doesn't make me cough. It is quite thick but that's to be expected given that it is cold cream.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is a very thick, creamy balm in stick format, but as some other reviewers have mentioned, it leaves a white film on the lips -- so I don't want to use it during the day on its own -- and is too moisturizing to use under lipstick -- so I don't use it in the morning. I use this every once in a while as a night treatment (switching off with aquaphor). If it were in a tub or tube and marketed as an overnight treatment, I'd have given this a higher score. I'm fine with the unobtrusive aroma. I bought this at the same time I bought the LaRoche Posay lip balm -- which was EUR 3 cheaper! -- and that product is so much better. I usually love Avene products. This one definitely moisturizes my lips overnight, it's just not a product to toss in your purse and use during the day unless you want to affect a 60's mod look of super pale lips!