Avene Cold Cream Lip Balm

Filtered by age: 19-24

3.3

SQUALANE, RICINUS COMMUNIS (CASTOR) SEED OIL (RICINUS COMMUNIS SEED OIL), BEESWAX (CERA ALBA), BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII (SHEA) BUTTER (BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII BUTTER), MINERAL OIL (PARAFFINUM LIQUIDUM), COPERNICIA CERIFERA (CARNAUBA) WAX (COPERNICIA CERIFERA CERA), ALUMINUM SUCROSE OCTASULFATE, GLYCERYL LINOLEATE, AVENE THERMAL SPRING WATER, BISABOLOL, FRAGRANCE, GLYCERYL LINOLENATE, GLYCERYL OLEATE, GLYCERYL PALMITATE, GLYCERYL STEARATE - GLYCINE SOJA (SOYBEAN) OIL (GLYCINE SOJA OIL), MICA, STEARYL GLYCYRRHETINATE, TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891), TOCOPHEROL , TOCOPHERYL ACETATE.

My lips had angular chelitis (cracking along the corners of my mouth) and were so badly chapped that scabbing started to occur on my lips. This lip balm cured my lips in a matter of days when no other lip balm could. I like how it preps my lips for lip sticks and nourishes them before bed. Although pricey I find it highly worth the money. The packaging on mine the lid cracked a little so thats not a plus but I like the angular shape of the lip balm which feels like im applying a lipstick

This lip balm has been my most recent purchase in my never-ending quest to find the perfect hydrating lip balm for my chronically dry and cracked lips. Because few balms have actually come close to providing the level of protection I need, I bit the bullet and paid the dear price of $17 CAD in hopes that the SA at Shoppers Drug Mart was correct in explaining to me that this product is designed specifically to combat the conditions my lips face on a daily basis (the promise of a full refund with a receipt greatly helped as well).

The first thing I note about this lip balm is that it's encased in one of the bulkiest packaging I've come across, which doesn't bother me, but I found it a bit surprising. It has 4g of product, while my Hemp Lip Conditioner from The Body Shop, which is half the size, contains 4.2g. That being said, it is pretty nice quality packaging and feels solid to hold in your hand and open/close.

The second thing I immediately noticed upon opening it is that the balm has a slanted shape, but is itself quite wide. It is more than the width of my bottom lip (which is not that thin, thankfully!), and so I have to be carefully not to nick the product on my teeth or get it all around my lips due to its size. The balm looks slightly greyish and shimmery, almost like a fine stone, which I found interesting. It certainly looks the part of a luxury item considering its price! I find the smell of the product to be in inoffensively sweet and slightly waxy - rather pleasant, in my opinion. Almost reminds me of that slightly scented play dough that kids play with.

Ok, on to the actually functionality of the product. The balm does apply quite thick and is absorbed slowly, one of the main reasons that I was going to rate it highly. However, for some reason the designers of this product felt it necessary to include a shimmer/glitter that is quite obvious when someone is wearing it. Not that I care TOO much about what it looks like (although it is noticeable enough that I have to be mindful of my usage of it during the day), my problem with this is that a balm whose functionality is to heal, repair, and protect lips from irritation should not have any sort of ingredients that might cause these problems to persist or worsen. Myself, I have not had a bad reaction to this balm or noticed my condition get worse as a result of using this balm, but I have noticed that it doesn't seem to be able to hydrate my lips as well as my Hemp Lip Conditioner. It does help if used often enough - to a certain degree my lips do feel softer and some of the dryness is repaired. My suspicion is that this product simply falls short of its curing potential because of certain ingredients that are likely just there to make the item look more luxurious or aesthetically pleasing. Because of this, and the steep price I had to pay for it, it loses two ratings from me.

I will continue to use it now that I have it because it's cons are acceptable enough for me to finish it, and the pros (hydrating/protection capacity) are decent. I would not recommend this specific balm, as it is too expensive as a result of claims that it falls short of. Instead, my recommendation is The Body Shop's Hemp Lip Conditioner, which is $8 CAD for 4.2g of product. I have written a review for it as well, please give it a read if you are looking for something to heal your lips.

TLDR: Though it is decent, this product is not worth its exorbitant price ($17 CAD at Shoppers Drug Mart). The Body Shop's Hemp Lip Conditioner provides equal, if not better, protection and hydration (without the uncalled-for shimmer that this balm has) for half the price. If you are looking for a balm to heal severely dry and cracked lips, go easy on your wallet and get yourself the Hemp one instead. You are not missing out on anything special by giving this one a pass.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I've tried this lip balm as an alternative to my usual Burt's Bees when I ran out. I've used other products from Avene and they were hit or miss. This was definitely a miss.

Upon application it gave the appearance of chapped lips. Perhaps its because I've darker colored lips that it didn't work on me. I'll give it the benefit of doubt nonetheless, they should have specified it.

Furthermore, the lip balm left a heavy, uncomfortable sensation on the lips. It did not seem to hydrate my lips much either. I did not enjoy a single application of this lip balm. I simply used it to try and make the most of my money. I've since gone back to my Burt's Bees Red Dahlia tinted lip balm and I've got more hydrated lips plus a coat of flattering sheer color all for a lower price than this appalling product.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

A must have for cold Canadian winters. I walk a lot outside during the winter and work at a cold ice rink and my lips see the effects of the weather. I love the taste and smell of this, it's mild and unlike most lip balms it doesn't make me cough. It is quite thick but that's to be expected given that it is cold cream.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I keep repurchasing this product again and again for years, because it is my favorite lip care product! I used to have terrible chapped lips and I was trying various brands' lip balms and butters to find the perfect one. I really tried a lot so that I can compare them.

The product claims that ''it relieves dry, flaky and chapped lips, and cocoons the skin in an emollient barrier that protects against external aggressors. Also it Immediately softens lips as it heals, restores and protects.''
I coudn't explained it better. Everything is true! It does what a lip balm should do and even more. There is not a single disadvantage, at least for me.This is my HG!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I'm on Accutane and this is really saving my life in the harsh Canadian winter. It protects and nourishes my poor tender lips and just makes them feel 100% better. There is a slight scent, but it's not much and there's no gross taste. The packaging is really solid and nice.

The only problem is that it's very thick and you can't really put it under a lipstick or anything, so I largely wear it at home or when I don't really care that my lips have a slightly white cast. Other than that it's the perfect product. It is expensive, but it's definitely worth it to me.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I got this because moving to an actually cold climate for winter has given me angular cheilitis, and I read that lanolin is great for that. This has lanolin, but also petroleum :( Regardless, it has really helped my lips retain moisture. I think when it comes to lip balms, there are two sorts of folk- those who 'drier' lip balms like this and EOS work well on, and those who 'drier' lip balms don't work on at all.

If EOS works for you, this will probably work as well. The price is a bit steep, but it will last awhile.

I LOVE this, and I'm shocked that there aren't more positive reviews! I'm on accutane, and this is the ONLY thing other than Aquaphor that helps me. Bought it on a total whim - I left home without anything for my lips and soon enough my lips were dying of thirst.

The packaging sucks (the tube cracked almost immediately) and I used up half of the stick in only a week. It leaves an opaque white coat (which I think looks nice, even though I'm a guy. whatever).

Who cares though? INSTANT relief!!! My lips look and feel great for HOURS after using this product, and on accutane this is a RARITY (anyone who has taken it will know). I still stick to Aquaphor at night, just because this lip balm is so expensive. But it's portable, which Aquaphor is not. I wish I knew about this earlier on.

5/5, hands DOWN.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This is my all-time favorite lip balm. I have never had anything as moisturizing as this! Sometimes I just apply it once a day and my lips will good for the day! Again, I'm a flight attendant so when I work my lips get crazy dry and I am always moisturizing my lips and this stuff is amazing! It is the best lip balm I really have ever tried! I've had this for a little over a year now and I am almost finished. It is a great product, I highly recommend this!

Alright, so it's waaay too soon for me to write a review of this product...I just got a free one from the Glytone rep at work this morning, but I am already in love! It has a wonderful smell, shea butter-like, and is soooo soothing and creamy. I already have lipstick on, so I can't comment on the white cast. There is a slight shimmer to the product. I totally love this stuff. I don't know that I would ever have purchased it on my own, it's rather expensive for a lip balm, but I will definitely be using this a million times a day! I've most recently been using the EOS lip balm, which is tasty and fun to apply, but I lick it all off so it's not extremely moisturizing. This Lip balm with cold cream feels like a nice deep moisturizing creamy salve for lips. LOVE.