MAC Matte Blush - Frankly Scarlet

MAC Matte Blush - Frankly Scarlet
Matte Blush - Frankly ScarletMatte Blush - Frankly ScarletMAC Frankly Scarlet Powder Blush Finger SwatchMAC Frankly Scarlet, unblended on cheek

4.5

on 9/13/2016 7:08:00 AM

First, thanks for nothing cozycat. I went out and bought this immediately after reading your review and I need another blush like I need a whole in the head.

Everyone has stated the facts about this shade quit well. It is a matte vivid rose red (also per MAC's website). And as everyone has sad, for the love of God, apply lightly and blend. I also usually dust a layer of MAC Careblend over it to take it down a notch, but I always do that with these really bright colors. It blends down to a reddish pink flush and is one of those shades that impart this lit from within glow when applied right. I am nw20, deep winter (almost black hair, brown eyes, fair to medium skin, pink undertones but still falling fairly neutral).

I have seen pictures of this shade where it gives that snow white, in from the cold look. For me this is the kind of shade I love in the summer. I usually do a strong cheek to give me that healthy summer glow, clean bronzed lined eyes and a subtle pale lip in summer. It is early September so maybe I still have some summer left on my skin, but when I used this it reminded me of my two favorite summer shades that are both bright and bold and require gentle application. The two shades are both Bobbi Brown, the limited edition Pretty Powerful II Pot Rouge (more of a warm pink shade) and Apricot powder blush (super scary bright in the pan, but when applied well, gives that same pop as Frankly Scarlet). Actually if you are finding FS too cool toned for you (though I find it neutral perfection), try BB Apricot, it is more of a red coral shade. I will be very curious to try this in the winter as well for that in from the cold look. FYI - I also swatched this on my arm next to UD Quiver but that is much more of hot pink shade vs. Frankly Scarlet's clean red shade and the FS stayed on my arm longer. HTH!

on 9/12/2016 5:25:00 AM

This is a gorgeous red, and applied sparingly, will impart a very natural, sensuous flush, even on paler skin-tones. My cheeks are quite high, prominent and also very fleshy, when I want to draw emphasis to them without making them look even fuller (highlighters do that), I use a red blush like this one on the apples of my cheeks (while smiling) and continue up along my cheekbones. The effect is beautiful, and youthful, and the color really flatters my complexion, more so than the more traditional pink blushes...a (very) light application of 'Frankly Scarlett' is what my cheeks actually look like when I'm flushed after a really good workout or just coming in from the cold. I love Chanel Joue Contraste in Rouge 79 and that one is a beautiful red too (it was the one that got me into red blushes), very similar in color to 'frankly scarlet' but richer and shimmery, more 'festive'...this is matte and not as crazy pigmented as Chanel's so it's easier to blend and better for day to day wear. I recommend using this blush with abit of bronzer, it gives me a natural sun-kissed look and a subtle sculpting effect. Just be sure to apply sparingly to avoid clown cheeks...dip your brush, swirl once and tap away the excess, if that's still too much, rub off the brush with kleenex. This is definitely not the blush I would go for if I only have a few minutes to do my make-up, but I love it. My 2nd favorite blush from MAC (1st being 'peachykeen', a foolproof 'blush n go' shade). Will last me a life time.

To Read all 112 Reviews, Login or Join

on 1/4/2016 9:46:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Frankly gorgeous! This blush looks so bright, intense and intimidating in the pan, particularly for someone fair like myself. I'm a neutral NC20 and this gives the most beautiful flush of colour. On me it is a very soft pink red. You do need an extremely light hand and a fluffy brush to apply as too much will look clownish and this blush is very pigmented. But get the application right and it will look the closest to a natural blush ever. Best thing about this blush is that it will honestly work for all skintones - pale to dark! Lasting power is good too.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Literally the ONLY proper red powder I have found. I don't want a cream blusher and Benetint (as much as I like it) blends out quite pink on me.

This is a true, vibrant red. Be sparing when applying as clown cheeks are not good! But applied with a light hand, I can see how this would suit most people. It gives a beautiful Snow White flush which I adore.

Like all Mac products it's pricey, but lovely.

on 10/26/2014 10:39:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

This is a wonderful versatile blush. Frankly Scarlet has an obvious cool undertone but would work on every skintone and undertone as it mimics the natural look of blood flowing to your cheeks when you're blushing or you're cold. If you're warmtoned maybe you prefer more peachy blushes for warming up the face, or for summer, but for a more natural look or for fall and winter this blush works perfectly.

I'm paler than NW10 and I have olive undertones. I particularly like coral-pink, hot pink and coral-red blushes, used very sheerly and with a light hand. Frankly Scarlet is my only bright red blush, and looks even more natural than the blushes I'm used to.

Also, it's pigmented enough for me to use when filling my brows, as I have bright red-pink hair and like to have my eyebrows in the same colour. It lasts all day and has good pigmentation, and looks good on all skintones and undertones. I usually don't like MAC blushes at all and I have tried several, but this one is fantastic.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

This is for sure my holy grail blush and will always be. The color looks amazing on all skin tones from pale to darker. It is the most pigmented product I have ever seen!

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I love this brush and will definately repurchase if I lost it. I don't think I will every use out since I only need a little every time I apply it. The color is very strong, special and gorgeous. The way I apply it is I usually appy on the back of my hand first, remove the most of it, then apply on the apple of my cheeks, then I feel so pretty. :)

on 11/13/2013 4:45:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

the red colour in pan attracted me to this baby. it is a hot pinkish red that gives the most gorgeous flush when applied lightly. in cold weather this is ideal i would say but i would still wear it year round. it is pigmented for a mac blush - not as pigmented as illamasqua or nars, but still quite good. i find that bright, pigmented, scary in the pan blushes give me the most natural look. the only other red i have is Exhibit A and the two give different effects - with EA having an orange slant and Frankly Scarlet having a pink slant. All in all I love it, and is especially great for holiday rosy cheeks :)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I've been on a bright blush kick and now that my hormonal/rosacea acne is under control, I can experiment with blushes again, especially the deeper colours.
I was on the hunt for a red blush that would give me that 'just came in from the cold' look without making me look like a clown.
I tried MUFE's no. 99 Scarlet eyeshadow which is a deep red and can be used as a blush.
I found it a little too much for my complexion (Asian, NC30/C3) and the texture felt a bit chalky.
So I decided to go to my local MAC Pro store and tried out Frankly Scarlet. The MA said to use just a tiny bit on the brush (definitely, as a wee bit goes a long way) and to tap on the blush. This blush gave me the look I was looking for; that nice flush after being out in the cold. I like to use a stippling brush (I use RT's stippling brush) and dab the brush once in the compact and lightly tap my cheeks. Then I buff it with a kabuki brush if necessary.

I like Frankly Scarlet because it's still a vibrant red but not overpowering like the MUFE No. 99 Scarlet and I prefer the texture too. It goes on smoother, at least for me.

I like to pair Frankly Scarlet with a soft eye look and red lips for that glamourous look.
If you're not intimidated by strong blush colours and want that 'flushed' look, check out the Frankly Scarlet.

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

I believe I have found 'The One'! This blush is so amazing and couldn't be more perfect for my skin tone and hair color (dark brown/red tint). It brightens my face up and looks somewhat natural but better. I strongly recommend this! Its very pigmented but I haven't had the issue of it being overly pigmented and giving the clown effect. I can use a stippling brush or my angled blush brush and use it lightly. Gorgeous! Its a red rose colored blush and has great lasting power.