Black Opal essential fade complex

No Image

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

This is a great over the counter product. I am a brown skinned African American female, and I noticed results within the first 3 days. I combined this with AHA 12% Glycolic souffle (applied AHA after fade complex dried), and thus far it has worked well! I think it works so well b/c it is a hydroquinone and kojic acid combination.

on 1/12/2006 10:21:00 AM

WARNING!!!!! I just woke up after having this stuff on at night, and every spot I applied to my face is now a dark reddish/brown. The stuff stained my skin. Now I have my work cut out for me with concealer. I'm so disappointed :( Like one previous reviewer, now my spots are worse than before. AUGH.

[UPDATE: Palmer's Eventone Fade Cream beats the crap out of this stuff! LOVE IT.] continued >>

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I bought this to fade some old freckling on my shoulders. After a bit over a month of using it (I'm about halfway through my second tube), the palest, ginger-colored freckles have faded almost completely away. The slightly darker freckles are still there, but I'm going to give it a good six months of use before I give up. I'll update this review in the spring.

January 5, 2007 update: Well, it did fade my freckling slightly, but I didn't follow through with repurchasing. The improvement was so slight, it just didn't seem worth it.

Active ingredient: 2% Hydroquinone

Other Ingredients: Absorbic Acid, Brown 1, Butylene Glycol, Butylparaben, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Citrus Unshiu Peel Extract, Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone, Dimethiconol, Ethylhexyl Cocoate, Ethylparaben, Glycerin, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Glycolipids, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Isobutylparaben, Kojic Acid, Lactic Acid, Laureth-7, Lecithin, Methylparaben, Phenoxyethanol, Polyacrylamide, Polyvinylpyrrolidone, Propylene Glycol, Propylparaben, Red 40, Retinol, Sodium Metabisulfite, Tetrasodium EDTA, Water
continued >>

on 5/28/2004 5:21:00 PM

I have been using for about 4 wks and have definitely seen a reduction in Sun spots or freckles. The main area of improvement is my shoulders where the sun damage were those groups of freckle/spotting. Completely faded most of it with only an evening application. I have not been able to regularly apply to face since I'm not sure how to layer it w/ other active ingred(retinol, AHA's, etc) but I really like the gel base of Black Opal as it hides easily under make up and isn't thick like creams & oh yes, unscented, thank goodness!Also doesn't cause breakouts. Kinda' expensive for the amount of product ($12.99 @ Eckerds for .90 oz)Might repurchase if I still need help.

on 4/23/2004 1:34:00 PM

I used this for 3 weeks day and night. I know, I know you are only supposed to use it at night! But its so light and absorbs so quickly that it wore well under my tinted moisturizer. I put a thin layer on all over my face and after that soaked in I put an extra layer on discoloration. I have medium brown skin and in 3 weeks I had even toned skin. I noticed some slight peeling from it which was annoying and it did make my skin a little dry. Maybe I could have curbed that by using it only once a day. Its a small tube and it lasted me 3 wks. using it day and night. It could last longer if you use it sparingly once a day or if yoor discoloration isn't that bad. The cost was 9.00 and I got it from Walgreens. The consistency is thin and can be sticky if you put too much on. I think I will try a fade cream next.

on 3/10/2004 3:57:00 PM

This stuff is amazing! After one night, I swore I saw a difference. After two nights, I was sure. I don't know how it works. I don't care. I just pray they never stop making this stuff!! It really is as great as everyone says.