Black Opal essential fade complex

No Image

on 11/17/2008 10:15:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Cool

I have to admit that I bought this product purely on the below review. I had purchased so many products to face dark spots on my skin left by acne -- everything from Dr. Brandt to Merle Normal to Oil of Olay. This product works and it's so cheap! It was difficult to find; no store had it so I got it online dirt cheap from some beauty supply store in Texas. I bought two since they were so cheap but I should not have because you only use a tiny bit.

I can completely understand the other reviewers saying that it stains the skin. It does appear that way at first. But you really not only have to use a thin thin coat, but revert back to kindergarten girls and don't color outside the lines. Meaning, ONLY cover the portion that is discolored. At first I was scared because right after you put it on, it almost look like the dark spot raises like a welt and gets even darker! But I persisted and spots that I'd had for YEARS are fading; it's been three weeks. Now I'm starting to put it on my elbows to see if it will fade there, too.

If you look at my track record, I don't approve of almost anything. I always buy these things and I'm almost always disappointed. This is one of those rare times where I'm finally happy with a product. My skin is going to be so pretty!

on 9/13/2008 7:01:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I've had cystic acne and it left very dark scarring on both sides of my face, specifically on my cheek, the most obvious of all place.
I've tried saliylic acid peel 20%
Lactic acid peel 35%
Glycolic acid peel 30%
Hydroquinone 2%
Aloe vera, lemon and honey, vitamin E and a whole host of other prodcuts that were supposed to help fade scars.
I even tried black opal's advanced fade gel it worked for a while then it stopped working!
So I decided to give black opal another try and buy the essential fade!
What a relief it slowly peeled off the first couple of layers of skin(due to the combination of retinol and hydroquinone) to help reveal healthy scar free skin.
I have been so frustrated for over 2yrs with these scars and finally feel like I have hope. The key is to put a thin layer on....and I mean thin! One day I smeared it on and the next day I woke up with those stains everybody was complaining about. I used it every nite for 6 days so far and I am very pleased...I could cry. Please please please use sunscreen in the morning no matter what! Even if its a cloudy rainy day! I definetly would buy again but I see no need to. The little tube goes a lonnngggg way when used correctly, again I stress applying a thin layer. The tube helps to preserve the product longer because hydroquinone is highly unstable that just opening a jar and applying it allows it to turn black and ineffective..the gel is a brown color so don't worry its not old and useless...will continue to use and update!

on 2/28/2008 11:59:00 PM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

I have some old acne spots that haven't been going anywhere and it annoys me. I have used other things and nothing works like this! I didn't get overnight results like other people, but after 3 or 4 weeks of using it I started to really notice a lightening of my spots. I am so pleased with this product and love the fact that you can find it in CVS. I also can't believe its so cheap (about 7/8 bucks) !!! I really reccomend this to anyone who has some dark spots that they would like to lighten, but you may not see immediate results, don't worry, things get better.
Also i wanna thank suerte99 and kardonres b/c they responded to my msg about the color. Its like a tanish/lt. brown color and I was a bit worried that I got an old tube or something, so don't be paranoid like me :-)
One other tip I have is DO NOT USE this WITH any product containing BENZOYL PEROXIDE!!!! I read online that it can cause darkening of the skin.
Overall: Loves it!!!

on 1/24/2007 12:30:00 AM

I have been using this product for about 5 days now and I
have seen dramatic results! The dark spots resulting from
past breakouts have faded tremendously, and my overall skin
tone appears almost completely even. I have been using the
fade complex in conjunction with the essential fade daily
wash and lotion, which I believe contributes to the
effectiveness. I would recommend that the entire fade line
(daily fade exfoliating wash and lotion w/ spf 15) be
used together in order to see the best results. The only
problem I experienced was drying of the skin, which I
believe resulted more form the exfoliating wash than the
fade complex serum (or maybe a combination of the two). I
have oily/combo skin and since using this, my skin has been
very dry; but to avoid this, you should use the wash only at
night, as the product recommends (and maybe every other
night) and use a gentler wash like Philosophy's Purity in
the morning. Overall, this is a wonderful line and I highly
recommend trying it!:-)

on 5/23/2006 3:47:00 PM

Awesome stuff...I'm an olive complexion and have a few acne marks--cleared them up over the course of 2 weeks...I noticed the product can burn if applied to damp skin so make sure your skin is thoroughly towel dried before applying...will always use this!

on 3/11/2006 1:07:00 AM

Don't let a couple of bad reviews about "staining" deter you from at least trying this product if you have pale skin. I have pale skin with some freckling and blotchiness and I swear this stuff is the closest to a miracle in a tube you will ever find. My skin looks the best it ever has when I use this product (I even wear it under my makeup) and my skin looks creamy and beautiful....and has decreased my makeup useage by a least 50%.

This product is wonderful, get the word out, because if we keep buyin' it they will keep makin' it.

on 2/5/2006 9:23:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

In response to the negative reviews:

I think only PALE people are experiecing the negative side effects of this product (i.e. - the staining of the skin making marks appear darker)...and that is because it is made for ETHNIC skin, specifically those who are a part of the African Diaspora...that can be Latino, West Indian, African American, African, Mixed, South East Asian, etc...

FYI: There IS a difference in our skin (darker minority skin) from that of Caucasian skin...that is a FACT! PLEASE READ THE LABEL! If you are not somewhere in this category, and do not have SOME type of color to your skin (i.e. you are NOT Italian, Greek, etc.) - this product is likely NOT for you... But there a LOT of products that ARE for you that would not work for us...and they will work well!

Smooches!

on 10/24/2005 3:37:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse

I too was skeptical at first because I was putting too much at once but I started putting thin layers and BOY am I grateful. My skin is so so so clear! I may be able to skip foundation/concealer/cover up if I continue to use this. Must remember to use sunscreen with this ladies or else they spots will come back!

I love this although I think it's starting to make me break out in little pimples. Perhaps it's because it's not fresh anymore and perhaps that's making me breakout. Will repurchase again once mta drama is over in nyc. continued >>

on 9/23/2005 10:34:00 AM

This fade complex is like a little miracle in a tube. After two weeks of using it, my acne scars are not even noticeable! I wouldn't even think about using anything else. I use this in combination with the Daily Fade Cleanser and my results have been so remarkable! I definitely recommend this product.

Have been using this for 3 weeks now and am very impressed. Paid $7.99 at CVS and was not expecting much. I have melasma around my mouth and all over my chin, and was contemplating the laser. I apply a thin layer two times a day and always follow up with at least SPF45, even at night. I also try to reapply the SPF45 every two hours during the day (I use zinc oxide, the physical block doesn't irritate my skin) and I have seen MAJOR lightening of the patches. Do not try to fade melasma without sunscreen!!!!! This product really works, but it does take time to fade major patches. I saw results in about a week, which is pretty fast. Great product, hasn't broken me out, and doesn't irritate my skin.