Black Opal essential fade complex

No Image

4.2

on 11/17/2008 10:15:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Cool

I have to admit that I bought this product purely on the below review. I had purchased so many products to face dark spots on my skin left by acne -- everything from Dr. Brandt to Merle Normal to Oil of Olay. This product works and it's so cheap! It was difficult to find; no store had it so I got it online dirt cheap from some beauty supply store in Texas. I bought two since they were so cheap but I should not have because you only use a tiny bit.

I can completely understand the other reviewers saying that it stains the skin. It does appear that way at first. But you really not only have to use a thin thin coat, but revert back to kindergarten girls and don't color outside the lines. Meaning, ONLY cover the portion that is discolored. At first I was scared because right after you put it on, it almost look like the dark spot raises like a welt and gets even darker! But I persisted and spots that I'd had for YEARS are fading; it's been three weeks. Now I'm starting to put it on my elbows to see if it will fade there, too.

If you look at my track record, I don't approve of almost anything. I always buy these things and I'm almost always disappointed. This is one of those rare times where I'm finally happy with a product. My skin is going to be so pretty!

on 4/21/2008 6:17:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Absolute rubbish!

This stuff has done nothing besides stain my skin and I only used it once. Never again! Now I need to figure out how to fade the stains!!!

Not all women of colour have dark skin

Have been using this for 3 weeks now and am very impressed. Paid $7.99 at CVS and was not expecting much. I have melasma around my mouth and all over my chin, and was contemplating the laser. I apply a thin layer two times a day and always follow up with at least SPF45, even at night. I also try to reapply the SPF45 every two hours during the day (I use zinc oxide, the physical block doesn't irritate my skin) and I have seen MAJOR lightening of the patches. Do not try to fade melasma without sunscreen!!!!! This product really works, but it does take time to fade major patches. I saw results in about a week, which is pretty fast. Great product, hasn't broken me out, and doesn't irritate my skin.

on 5/28/2004 5:21:00 PM

I have been using for about 4 wks and have definitely seen a reduction in Sun spots or freckles. The main area of improvement is my shoulders where the sun damage were those groups of freckle/spotting. Completely faded most of it with only an evening application. I have not been able to regularly apply to face since I'm not sure how to layer it w/ other active ingred(retinol, AHA's, etc) but I really like the gel base of Black Opal as it hides easily under make up and isn't thick like creams & oh yes, unscented, thank goodness!Also doesn't cause breakouts. Kinda' expensive for the amount of product ($12.99 @ Eckerds for .90 oz)Might repurchase if I still need help.

on 5/7/2004 9:00:00 AM

I really like this product. It does a good (and fast) job at fading dark spots. I love the way it makes my skin feel (so nice and smooth).

on 2/2/2004 5:21:00 PM

Only thing that has worked on fading my dark spots (I've tried Obagi and Shiseido's whitening products). And way cheaper - got it on www.texasbeautysupplies.com and www.allurebeautysupply.com. A 1/2" brown spot on my cheek is almost completely gone (have had it for years). Of course I used it more than recommended and burned a couple spots on my face but they are now healing and getting lighter. Next test is on my legs - I have lots of scars from insect bites and small scratches. Will update on that later. UPDATE: Please try PCA Skin Phaze 13 w/ HQ. Did more for me than Black Opal. Update: Even stronger peel, Obagi Clear w/ a Retin A product (I use the generic Renova).